Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

If not Volkl Violas, then which (flat deck) skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The only ski that I totally loved at sHOT last week was the Viola - I even found myself for the first time being able to think about short turns, and have the thinking briefly transform into reality (well, sort of Toofy Grin ).

I have just had to cancel an order for these, having discovered that the bindings cannot be removed, and my main, if not only, reason for buying my first set of skis is to ski with knee bindings. (I have spent epic Big Wink hours reading opinions about these, but (or and) my mind is made up about them... Madeye-Smiley )

Yumis were suggested as a suitable alternative flat deck skis, but sHOT last weekend has made me very wary of buying skis that I haven't tried, and of how difficult it is to put different skis into similar categories of response. For example I found Movement Sundance and Rossignol Unique 6 virtually indistinguishable (but quite responsive in a "need to ask them" sort of way), with Atomic Cloud 9 similar but lagging further behind in responsiveness. On the face of it, Salomon Gemma sound like they should be similar to Yumi, yet I really didn't get on with them - they made me lose confidence - or the Violas that I'd just tried had raised my expectations! rolling eyes

My skiing - not sure what is helpful here - was mostly done 30 years ago, I have spent the summer re-learning and trying to replace bad habits (back seat...) and am still working on overcoming one-sidedness. In between wobbly moments when I catch edges (touch wood, normally recovered from), I seem to be able to sort of carve down the Hemel slope, but I would describe my style as relatively cautious and deliberate though not very slow. I'm really only a piste skier but I want to be able to ski crud and ice with equally gay abandon, and Yumis would allow me to move off piste further down the line which is actually a very attractive prospect -- but what if I don't like them?

I'm open to suggestions as to how to approach this conundrum - my January ski trip is booked so I'm on a countdown. I'd love to be able to test some Yumis rather than gamble a lot of money on a relative unknown - does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Blizzard Cheyenne which is the womens version of the Latigo but without the full length metal. It's a superb ski. I've put Kneebindings on quite a few of them. And as the Kneebindings are higher than a regular flat mounted binding (due to the additional lateral release function) you don't need a plate/rail to avoid boot-out etc.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
How come the bindings can't be removed? Mine came fitted with a rail binding which I'd assumed I could swap if I wanted to, though I hadn't looked into it because I've decided they'll do for now. You've got me wondering now.

Anyway, assuming you can't swap them for some reason, I would echo what you say about buying skis you haven't tried. I have tried the Yumi and they will be quite different to the Violas (I haven't tested the Viola, but I have tested the Chiara and Allura which are part of the same range. I found them very easy to ski but bought something wider in the end.)

Ellis Brigham have a test fleet at some of the snow domes, maybe get in touch and see if they've got the Yumi or something similar?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Scarlet wrote:
How come the bindings can't be removed?.....

The Marker 4Motion bindings are attached to metal rails 'in' the ski. One version is has four individual rails which are integral in the skis construction & the other has two separate toe/heel metal plates recessed into the top sheet which doesn't leave a flat surface if removed, so either way you're snookered. Plus you'd be paying for a binding you'd never use so best to go for a true 'flat' ski to start with.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 18-10-15 18:11; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks @spyderjon, @Scarlet for your thoughts, I didn't know there were demo skis - that would be absolutely ideal and hopefully I can try both Yumi and Cheyenne, and maybe some others? - I'm starting to cheer up already Very Happy There's so much to learn!

I gather Chiaras are also embedded, not sure about Alluras - I will investigate.

@spyderjon, thanks for the technical insights. I did read about kneebindings being higher and wondered what it meant for me as a skier - apart from making me taller, though I imagine that wouldn't affect my ideal ski length. I've just googled boot-out and if that ever happens to me then I'm on the wrong piste! Shocked
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@spyderjon, oh ok, I knew you'd know! Mine appear to be just screwed on the top (Salomon/Atomic XT-10) so they may end up in your shop at some point.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quick update: I tested Yumis and Black Pearls at Hemel: the Yumis floated rather than cut through the snow which I found unbalancing, and so were relatively harder in the turn, whereas the Black Pearls were my Mary Poppins - stable, giving me lots of confidence and I just loved them! I'm now poorer but very happy Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@motyl, glad you got sorted. I'm sure you and your Black Pearls will have many happy days together Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks @Scarlet, I do hope so! Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy