Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best lunch for afternoon ski energy

Poster: A snowHead
stevepick, Is that a homemade scottish tablet? Have you got the recipe?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SkiBod, http://www3.sympatico.ca/scruss/tablet.html
My Granny used to sometimes add what she called decimated coconut as a variation. Excellent eating. No wonder Scottish dentists did so well in the 50s & 60s. wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wow Shocked loads of advice here. I definitely agree about the water issue. At home I drink 2.5-3 litres of water a day (have done for years) and when on the slopes I know I drink nothing like that, perhaps a litre? Will make more effort, but hate sitting cross-legged on a chairlift!

As an exercise, skiing is relatively unique in that there are not many holidays where you exercise pretty much all day every day for 7 days and only a couple of times a year (sometimes woefully unprepared). When I'm rowing it is only for an hour or so, similarly in the gym, pool etc., these sports I do 365 days a year, not just for a couple of weeks, but skiing requires a different stamina, particularly to maintain concentration levels (important I find for staying upright!).

I'm looking forward to taking all this on board and seeing how I feel next week on the slopes. I'll let you know how I get on. snowHead
Thanks.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I found the hot chocolate with honey, as served in Les Deux Alpes a great afternoon tonic and energy booster. Adding a drop of rum or brandy on those cold days kept me nicely toasty!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If I drunk 2.5-3 litres of water a day I'd need to be catheterised to get any work done!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Beverley, I use a camelback to keep hydrated but as I only ski at resorts I'm familiar with, I know where all the best stops are to be found.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SkiBod,

The recipe my Father in law uses is very similar to the one referenced by Kuwait Ian , except no vanilla ( gilding the lilly?), no "damping" of the mix - he just puts it all in the pan and brings up to heat gently. The quality of the condensed milk is very important - He uses Nestle since it gives him best results ( even if the company has a poor 3rd world trade redord).Once made, beware how addictive this is, your family will start annoying you to make it regularly ( its a pain to make because you have to watch it like a hawk and stir for 30-40 mins) and you will need to attend a good dentist on a regular basis. It is a great way to get a sugar boost in almost any situation though!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Now I just need to find that 'decimated coconut' and a good dentist!! wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SkiBod, the dessicated coconut will probably be easier to find than a dentist.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
stevepick, that recipe is identical to my grandmother in law's fudge recipe! she hailed from NEwfoundland (no jokes please) so I suspect some Scottish connection ... I'd never thought of taking it skiing though, not sure what it woudl do to your blood sugar levels ...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
What ever happened to 'Kendal Mint Cake' now that was (is) packed full of sugar.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I find that I pocket full of mini-snickers is the answer to boost energy levels - and have convinced myself that because they have nuts in them they're a healthy option....
If you see someone on the chair lifts in les arcs next week eating snickers then it's me....
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
David@traxvax, Agreed but I am looking for the 'decimated coconut' beloved of kuwait_ian, 's Granny! It's had a rough life, only about a tenth of its original numbers survive....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SkiBod, that's the trouble with all this decimalisation, we should have stayed with Imperial measures.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
David@traxvax wrote:
... I only ski at resorts I'm familiar with ...

David, I think that's an extremely sound policy. You must know Wengen like the back of your hand.
latest report
halfhand wrote:
If I drunk 2.5-3 litres of water a day I'd need to be catheterised to get any work done!

3 litres is nearly 6 pints!! (in real money).. is drinking that much water really good for you..? plus all the other water you get from what you eat.. i reckon you should have a drink of water when u start to fancy one.. i.e when your body tells you its time for a slurp.. the way things are going people will be having a sip every minute ..! wink

seperatly for the medical experts on here.. if you contstantly hydrate, as recommended, would your body be able to cope with being a bit thirsty .. under the use it or lose law..?
ski holidays
I've always drunk loads of water. I only have a couple cups of coffee a day and some orange juice for breakfast. Otherwise still water (don't forget I do exercise every day too) Suits me! Water is the best moisturiser there is, gives you shiny hair, clear skin - and a warm wet nose! wink

Also, contrary to belief, after a while your body adjusts and you don't need to pee all the time.
snow conditions
I drink around two litres of water and a litre of tea on a normal day, and if I go to the gym I'll drink a couple of extra litres of water there. I'm positive that this is beneficial for me - you'd need to drink gallons of water to cause problems. I'm convinced that dehydration is a major reason why many people have such low energy levels.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy