Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing on mount Etna

Poster: A snowHead
Went up mount Etna last weekend and noticed it was well set up for skiing, has anybidy actually skied there ... ??? Interested to find out what its like..
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes, I did for a morning back when I was a geology student and got sick of traipsing around with a backpack full of geophysics kit.

There are ski areas on the south flank and the north flank of Etna. There's a better setup on the south side, with more pistes and better uplift. Unlike most ski resorts, they've had two lifts destroyed by volcanic eruptions.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Best snow is not on the upper slopes! Foreground shows the top of a hut so snow depth is 3+ metres, but background shows no snow because the ground is too hot for it to settle.

snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Although it's not necessary to wait until winter to ski on Etna. Here's Marco dropping in to the Valle del Bove the quick way...

summer skiing on Etna from marco tomasello
https://vimeo.com/108057019
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I few in a few times this summer and a client has skied there. I am looking forward to the opportunity next year (fingers crossed!)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@rob@rar, Now that looks like fun!! snowHead snowHead snowHead (may have to change the emotion)
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@rob@rar prett awsome ... would not like to take a tumble though Blush
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BLACK POWDER - sand skiing over ETNA from etna walk
https://vimeo.com/142195324
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
To change back to the white stuff, Salomon did a film for their Freeski series which is nice if you want a look broader look at Sicily
https://vimeo.com/57275003

This looks like it was mostly filmed on the north side of the volcano, above Lingaglossa. There are a few long drag lifts there, but free skiing from a cat looks a better option.
Tre Contrade - Etna Skiing from Rocca delle Tre Contrade
https://vimeo.com/120753199

Back to Marco Tomasello (who teaches in for NewGen Courchevel in the winter, having learned to ski on Etna) filmed to the south of the central craters which looked a bit active at the time.
escape from the eruption from marco tomasello
https://vimeo.com/128000114

Finally, back to the northern flank for some end of season touring.
nordica freeskiers - mare e monte - trip to siciliy PART 3 from Armin Holzer
https://vimeo.com/24122793
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Does anyone have any idea if this resort (nicolosa etna) is open?
Getting nowhere on line and the phone at the resort does not work!
We are currently at a Camp Site in the moho on the sea at the bottom of Etna
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@poppyb, I believe the road up to it was blocked yesterday or the day before by snow (they are having an exceptional winter), but I think they are operating. Not sure where in Sicily you are, but you you have choices of two ski areas on Etna, North side (above Linguaglossa) or the south side (above Nicolosi). I think the skiing is a bit more developed on the north side, although it's been many years since I was in the area.

There is a Facebook group for skiing on Etna: www.facebook.com/etnasci/
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snow depths

-1800m : 100 cm
-2000m : 150 cm
-2500m : 180 cm
-3000m : 250 cm !
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It has recently been as low as -20c and some vineyards got a foot of snow. As above, an exceptional Winter for mafialand.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks
Right now it's balmy 10 degrees on the coast
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We are just down the coast from Taormina at Camping Lafocetta.Sicula. maybe we should wait a bit. It has been so mild down here it's hard to.believe the road is blocked up there just over an hour away.
Thanks for the fb link that'll be useful
snow report
@poppyb, from your location the skiing on the north side is closer than the skiing on the south side. Head to Linguaglossa and from there uphill to Piano Provenzana, which is the base for the skiing on that side of the volcano.

Have fun!
ski holidays
A recent video of the ski slopes at Etna Shocked

https://www.facebook.com/etnasci/videos/1074726032654181/
snow report
Online webcam showing the chairlift and folks skiing down.

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/italia/sicilia/catania/vulcano-etna-nord.html
ski holidays
I had a grear day on Etna nord slopes today. Thanks to Rob and everyone who advised me. No signage whatsoever about it being a ski resort on the way up. Just kept driving up Etna till the road ended! Nothing in Linguaglossa to suggest there was skiing anywhere despite it being called a ski resort online. Even when you're there it's not call ed anything! Just a restaurant called Piano Provencale behind which is a drag lift that takes you to two more drag lifts and a cable car.
This was the best weather conditions one could hope for. Lovely sunshine and great snow. Not too busy but enough people to not feel lonely. As a solo skier I was adopted by three different groups of gorgeous italians.
I did most of the runs including a lovely one aptly named Amphitheatre . I only found that out from a local because it wasn't written down anywhere I could see.
I'd like to ski on the Nicolosa side which apparently is lovely as you can see the sea as you ski down. However it is black with volcanic ash and melts by midday because of the westerly wind.
snow report
@poppyb, excellent! It's a very friendly part of the world, especially if you get off the usual tourist trail.

They've been having a few high level earthquake swarms in the volcanic edifice over the last day to two, usually a precursor to an eruption. Hopefully you'll get to see another aspect of the volcano while you're there.
snow report
Jeez thanks Rob! Did you know I am Jackie from your Inside Out teaching ski holidays (early season Tignes and San Cassiano ) ?
Got my eye on a Finnish one at some point.. .
ski holidays
@poppyb, yes, I did know that. We're probably not going to head back to Ruka for a couple of years, with next winter's trip to a less well known ski resort going to be to Spain Happy
snow report
Oo I'll be in Spain next winter in the moho. Where is that trip to?
ski holidays
Thanks for this @poppyb, I was in Catania & Taormina (both very nice) at the weekend and wondered myself what the skiing was like, especially as there is a mini eruption at the moment
snow report
poppyb wrote:
Oo I'll be in Spain next winter in the moho. Where is that trip to?
Baqueira-Beret in the Spanish Pyrennes. End of January 2017.
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
@poppyb, excellent! It's a very friendly part of the world, especially if you get off the usual tourist trail.

They've been having a few high level earthquake swarms in the volcanic edifice over the last day to two, usually a precursor to an eruption. Hopefully you'll get to see another aspect of the volcano while you're there.

It is erupting at the moment.

snow report
rob@rar wrote:
End of January 2017.
Shurely shome mishtake ??? Laughing snowHead Laughing
snow report
@Dubaian, hah! Thanks, 2018.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy