Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to Avoriaz

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, we are driving to Avoriaz at the end of January - really looking for some first hand knowledge - heading for Club Med, what's the crack with underground parking?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
More Avoriaz info the better please..
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi, sorry I can't advise on the parking situation but would strongly advise having winter tyres and chains / snowsocks as it's a hell of a climb out of Morzine up to Avoriaz. I realise that's an obvious statement but that journey up can be horrible / impossible in bad snow.

Depending on what time you arrive, if the mountain road is looking too bad (as it was last year when I struggled to even get to Morzine), you can take the new Prodains cable car right into the centre of Avoriaz although you'll have to pay for parking in the prodains car park.

Have you been to Avoriaz before ? What other sort of info are you looking for ?

Paul
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks Paul - got the tyres and chains thanks - that's the info I was looking for - not personally been to Avoriaz before but a few travelling in the car have but I
am yet to meet them - if you have any other tips throw them over - thanks
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Markpoint, uh, there's an underground car park? It's underground and you park your car in it. Puzzled

From the car park you can rent sledges to transport your chattels (painful) or pay more for a horse and cart or a motorised delivery (IMO, best option).

What sort of craic are you looking for?

Bookable on line. I wouldn't park outside. I would definitely have winter tyres and if not 4x4, chains. The mandatory chain fitting point is, I think, just as you leave the Morzine center.

You could park at Prodains at the bottom of the bubble but in heavy snow you'll still need chains to get there.

Morzine-Avoriaz about 45 minutes.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hello - as @p20pjd, says make sure you have chains at least as that road can be very tricky indeed and the gendarmes will refuse to allow you up/ down without them if it is bad weather. When you arrive in Avoriaz there is a big unloading area - Club Med may provide skidoos etc to transport your luggage - and then you go and park your car in the big car park area (not sure about Club Med underground car park).

Have a great time.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Also - If you haven't looked already, www.avorinet.com is a really useful site and has loads of info, including parking. http://www.avorinet.com/travel/parking/car-parking-in-avoriaz

I love the PDS and although I've always stayed in Morzine or Les Gets, Avoriaz is a great hub as everywhere in the PDS is relatively accessible from there. Goes without saying that for anyone except complete beginners you'll get the most benefit from the full area pass.

Paul
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Another tip, the free ski buses are a great link between the bottom of Prodains (which you can ski down 'crot' or take the gondola down) Bus 'A' runs to and from Morzine and you can quite easily ski over to Les Gets and back that way by heading up the Pleney, take the Bellvadere lift and ski all the way to LG . If you are over LG way, the Mont Chery side is a bit of a gem. It has useless old lifts but on a nice day the views of the Mont Blanc are incredible and the ski area is quiet and has a range of great runs, definitely worth a days trek there and back taking in some of the runs around Morzine too, just plan a route in advance.

From Avoriaz, the Swiss side is very close via the Mosettes lift and you drop down in to Les Crosets which is a lovely part of the PDS. Try to get hold of a local piste map over there from a bar as they don't tend to do detailed ones on the avoriaz side (for the swiss side) although you'll get an idea from the wide area PDS map.

Even if you're not into the park stuff, going through 'the stash' in avoriaz is still a good run to see some of the ramps and jumps that people do and you can also ski through the trees which is good fun and something different.

Avoriaz is quite high so on bad weather / poor visibility days it's pretty exposed so I'd probably suggest heading to Morzine as there are plenty of tree runs which you can take advantage of. Avoriaz has a couple of low runs too where you can ski down underneath the Ardent bubble and the prodain gondola, oh also there are a few tree runs down to the Lindarets bowl too near the stash.

On good visibility days, head as high as you can over to chatel and over to the swiss side, the views up there as you would expect are also stunning.

All that said, the skiing in Avoriaz is great too so make sure you spend time taking all the runs in there.

I have a week out there in February and looking forward to it already..!

Anything else, just ask...

Paul
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Markpoint, If you visit the avoriaz.com website and follow the 'staying' link it will lead you to the parking choices. I would definitely choose the underground car park and pay the extra few euros (It is no fun digging a couple of feet of snow off your car before leaving - it really rubs it in that your holiday is ending). I have always prebooked and been surprised at how full they get but this has been during the Christmas week so is probably better when you are going.
You are clearly directed to the car park when you arrive and getting a 'taxi' (either horse-drawn or motorised)to take you to Club Med is easy.
I have normally managed to get from Morzine to Avoriaz with snow socks rather than chains (much easier to put on) and without winter tyres. However, we left on the Saturday after Christmas last year during the snow storms and traffic chaos and chains were vital. We left at 5.30am and they had been clearing the road all night but it was coming down so fast that we had some 'interesting' moments at crawling speed.
Can't wait for Christmas as also going to Club Med Avoriaz but flying this time.

First post
Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Contact CM and see what the arrangements are. They will probably meet you at the car park
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy