Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bony ankles - decison time?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Something of a revelation - I've been to a London store and stood just in the shells of the boots. The insides of both ankles are touching the shell - so no wonder I feel pressure when liners are in.

It seems that my feet tend to collpase inwards, especially the right one where my leg splays out a bit, so I think custom insoles will help prevent this by supporting the arch.

Nontheless, the shells are going to need stretching to accomodate my ankles and the liners.

My dilemma – do I use a UK store or wait until in Austria and head for the head fitter at Intersport, Kaprun, where they will obviously be nearby when adjustments are required when skiing.

Incidently, the boot I liked best for all-round fit and feel (closest I suppose to my old Raichles) is Atomic RT CS. According to Atomic's website this boot is also made in foam-fit, though seems not in the UK.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
roberto,

the atomic should be available as a foam fit in the UK, although not sure who stocks it. you should be able to get the shell with a conformable foam liner at around the same cost. I always maitain that you live in the UK so find a good fitter here and you are protected by the sale of goods act, if you are in london then Profeet are as good as any...good luck
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Personally I would follow CEM's advice and have them fitted in the UK. Do you really want to spend most of your hols trying to sort out your boots in resort? Profeet are very good and sorted out Mr C's problems which sound similar to yours. He had his outer shell stretched and then foam injected liners - they are the most comfortable he's ever had so far but he has yet to ski on them. Good luck and hope you get them sorted snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Profeet certainly sound very good, and their website has a recommendation by Graham Bell which must mena something _ though for me a bit difficult to get to, especially if I have to return for adjustments...

Anyone experience of Snow & Rock Covent Garden who offer a custom-fit service?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CEM wrote:
roberto,

the atomic should be available as a foam fit in the UK, although not sure who stocks it. you should be able to get the shell with a conformable foam liner at around the same cost. I always maitain that you live in the UK so find a good fitter here and you are protected by the sale of goods act, if you are in london then Profeet are as good as any...good luck

Hmm, try a season in resort, see how it differs. Happy New Year, Charlie.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi Smallzookeeper

Unfortunately my seasons skiing are all over - week or two and some dry slope time is the best I can manage for forseeable future...

So, it's my dilema - get my boots here in the UK (Snow & Rock or Profeet I guess) and perhaps have a chance to dry slope them, or in Kaprun and risk a lot of messing around during my holiday.

Actually, people have told me how much easier boots fit 'nowadays', but I suspect they haven't got my feet!

Thanks all.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
roberto,

If the place where they fit the boots is on the hill (Kitsteinhorn Alpine Centre) then it shouldn't but too much of a problem but if it's in the town (a bus drive away) that could be a pain in the neck (and feet). Having said that I suppose returning to a ski shop in a resort is easier than returning to the shop everytime you come back from holiday. Intersport is a big company with many stores throughout Austria and a good return policy (I've exchanged walking boots before without any quibbles). In my experience with them if something doesn't work for you then you get a replacement or your money back.

PS I'm no bootfitter but have been told that blownout shells return towards their original form eventually. (Can any bootfitters here confirm/deny this?)
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DB,
Quote:

PS I'm no bootfitter but have been told that blownout shells return towards their original form eventually. (Can any bootfitters here confirm/deny this?)Wed Jan 04, 06 15:20

if a boot is stretched properly then it should not return back to its former position, assuming you do not expose it to extreme heat, the problem is most of the people out there do not get the boot hot enough to hold the stretch properly, the main issue is it is a very fine line between not hot enough and fryed boot. most places won't take the risk, it is far better to heat the boot slowly from a distance than to blast the hell out of it with the heat gun at close range, the plastic must be allowed to heat all the way through Toofy Grin Toofy Grin the other issue is too often the press is removed from the boot before it has cooled properly hence they slowly come back
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SMALLZOOKEEPER,

happy new year sporty Boy I must clarify I said find a GOOD BOOT FITTER
I know how rare they are in all countries Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Decision made!

I'm going to Profeet tomorrow to get myself sorted, I've got a lot of confidence as they've told me how much experience their fitters have (a lot).

I've also rather lost confidence in the sweaty bun fight which was Snow and Rock last night! (I'm not saying they don't also know what they're doing, just that after an hour I felt frazzled and don't really wish to repeat the experience.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
roberto Profeet sorted me out a treat. Had to go back the once, had some adjustments in the toebox area, but the boots have just done a week in the three valleys and are simply awesome. Can't recommend these guys enough!

ScottyDog
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Scottydog, thanks that is reasuring, but a nice comfy pair of boots could even see me back on the dry slope!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just for General Info re Boot Buying,

I decided to take the plunge and invest in a set of brand new boots for this years outings. Went to the Surrey Snow and Rock because I had heard good reports about the range and the level of staff, and they were VERY helpful. Finished up with a pair of Salomon's that were less expensive than the Atomics I was thinking of, and the efforts the guy put in to make sure everything was OK was really good. Normally I would tend to steer clear of S&N because they are not so compettitive on price, but the boot fitting guys at this particular store were really good and everyone says Boots are the most important bit of kit... Long term it's also much easier to go back to them if there is a problem wink
Falling down hills with planks on your feet still gives a real buzz!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CEM wrote:
DB,
Quote:

PS I'm no bootfitter but have been told that blownout shells return towards their original form eventually. (Can any bootfitters here confirm/deny this?)Wed Jan 04, 06 15:20

if a boot is stretched properly then it should not return back to its former position, assuming you do not expose it to extreme heat, the problem is most of the people out there do not get the boot hot enough to hold the stretch properly, the main issue is it is a very fine line between not hot enough and fryed boot. most places won't take the risk, it is far better to heat the boot slowly from a distance than to blast the hell out of it with the heat gun at close range, the plastic must be allowed to heat all the way through Toofy Grin Toofy Grin the other issue is too often the press is removed from the boot before it has cooled properly hence they slowly come back

Thanks CEM,

What sort of time scale are we talking to do it properly (heat, stretch & cool) hours or days? What about the effects of alpine temps e.g. -25 Deg c or lower. Having boots fitted in England might be OK when trying out at the local snowdome but when they hit the cold temps of the alps isn't this going to affect the boots?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy