Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"The World's Best Ski Guides" - The Times recommends the top 7

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Mark Frary of the Times, in his piece in Saturday's paper, nominates the following seven guides as "the world's best":

Yves Detry, Chamonix, France
Matt Sikkes, Jasper, Canada
Patrick Zimmer, Val d'Isere, France
Andreas Vondrak, St Anton, Austria
Nicholas Tricou, Portes du Soleil, France
Kent McBride, Jackson Hole, US
Nick Parks, Monte Rosa, Italy

Here's the full article.

Anyone skied with the guides above, or got any names of outstanding guides to add to the list?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I skied with Patrick Zimmer's TopSki on several occassions, highly recommended.
Other guides I very much enjoyed skiing with:
Jean Yves Hubaud, La Grave/Serre Chevalier.
Roland Stieger, Chamonix. he is a very very funny guy. Has a permanent reservation for the table at the back at the lovely restaurant (which you pass on the way down from Grand Montets to mid station) which he only needs to cancel on the day if not needed.

The problem with these Superguides is that they have a very loyal clientele and are often booked up years in advance.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowman wrote:

Roland Stieger, Chamonix. he is a very very funny guy.

I did an event called Trailblazers (a sort of outward-bound Superstars) in Wales years ago with Roland; I can definitely second that description!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I skied with Pat Zimmer once. He's definitely an ace.

I think I skied with a couple of Kent McBride's colleagues. They were ace too.

I'd think it rather tricky though to pick out 7. On what criteria? Maybe I should read the article...

OK I read it.

No criteria mentioned. Interestingly, Corbet's Couloir is described as "steep". It doesn't look it. And I didn't think you needed a guide to get to it...

Can I be a ski journalist please?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nick Parks ?

I skied with a Nick Parks in Monte Rosa a few years ago - he was guiding an Eagles ski club off-piste week based in Gressony. He also runs an adventure skiing/trekking company (mountain tracks).

I'm a little surprised at the Monte Rosa part of the listing, I seem to remember that he has an apartment in Chamonix and would therefore be most expert in that area. Had a good time with him though in Italy, though again how they decided that he was better than any other guides (all the ones I've skied with have been excellent) is a moot point.

Re. Monte Rosa, I would say that the big off-piste available there (includes Alagna) is as good as anywhere in the Alps and certainly a lot less people about than, say, Chamonix. Good heliskiing too.

If anyone is skiing in Gressony and Nick isn't available, there is a bunch of guides based around the hotel dufour (the hotel owner is one of them). They know the area like natives do, though not all of them speak good English. Nick used them to supplement his own services. They are at guidemonterosa.com There are some great days out to be had (and some fabulous restaurants in the huts)

dt
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pendodave, yes, but avoid the donkey stew...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Murdoch wrote:
pendodave, yes, but avoid the donkey stew...

didn't see that one...

but in a 'cold platter' there were (amongst all the very tasty meats and sausages) several slices of pure lard. I suppose it could have been equine... but it did taste suspiciously, and not unpleasantly, porcine.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pendodave, ah, yes, the Lard. Not my cup of tea, not even with honey.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
More lightweights rolling eyes
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
David Murdoch wrote:

No criteria mentioned. Interestingly, Corbet's Couloir is described as "steep". It doesn't look it. And I didn't think you needed a guide to get to it...

http://www.biglines.com/photos/normal/biglines_50055.jpg
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DB, nope. Doesn't count as steep in my book. A very short steep entry with a straightforward runout.

And, given the number of skiers, no guide required for avvy safety!

No, I haven't skied it but would do so quite happily.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
David Murdoch,

I've heard a lot of people want to ski Corbets until they see it in the flesh, also heard the first couple of turns are critical otherwise you slide a long way.

Anybody here skied Corbets?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DB, I have heard the same too. I also had a long chat with a chum who has skied it - he reckoned it not that bad. I daresay it has its moments! A lot will, of course, depend on conditions at the time.

Anyway, getting back to my original point I don't think it does, on the whole, look that steep (just the first bit) and you don't need a guide, contrary to what the Times article suggests. Point being that the Times writer isn't, IMHO, doing his job properly.

Anyway, one day I'll endeavour to get back to Jackson and give it a shot. (Before anyone asks, Jackson was shut when I was there or I would have skied it!!)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Murdoch,

Good luck.

It's on my list of "things I'd like to do but would probably bottle out on the last minute"

I'd imagine that the drop just gets scraped away to sheer ice.

If you need anybody to hang on to a few things at the top (e.g. wallet, life insurance policy etc) just before you drop in don't hesitate to call me wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DB, you are too kind, thank you, I will let you know Happy Although I quite like keeping my life insurance policy, or at least my carte neige, on me!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy