Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kitzbhuel Race Day Advice Needed Please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all.. We are going to Kitzbhuel for the race weekend in Jan-16 (specifically on the Saturday for the downhill as will be skiing in Saalbach on the other days).

My main question is around the best way to see the race on the Saturday. I like the idea of sticking the skis on and watching the race from the adjoining piste (s) but I've no idea about the practicality of this, namely ;-

1 - Whats the visibility like from the piste ? How many sections get close to the action ?
2 - How do you get up the there? I expect the Hahnenkahmm lift will be closed during the race ? Is it open before the race early on to get a good spot or is there any other way of getting up?

If we decide to do it on foot instead, how high up the course can you walk and for those that have done it on skis and on foot, what's the best way ?

It's our first time to Kitzbhuel so any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@p20pjd, I went in 1999 and 2012, in short the race piste is very accessible for viewing and the Hahnenkammbahn runs as normal. You can walk up alongside the race piste as far as your legs are willing, there are short sections that are difficult to get to. The best way is to go up early on the Hahnenkammbahn and ski down to get a good viewing spot(s), the spectacular Mausefalle at the very top is popular, as is the view to of the start hut, you can then ski further down to view the notorious Steilhang section. Much further down the course is the Hausberg jump, from here, not only do you see the racers at that section but also you see them traverse the final section and you have a great view of the run in and finish area. Obviously, you can start viewing the early racers at the top moving down the course during the event, the only problem is that you will miss some them during that time. Be aware that weather is a major factor for the downhill, if it closes in then the start will be lowered, maybe to the Super g start hut much lower down and this does diminish the race as a spectacle, but fortunately not the enthusiasm of the fans. It is the hordes of fanatical ski fans, mostly Swiss and Austrian, that make the event. They start arriving on the Friday and they are very boisterous. The town is taken over by the whole event- outdoor stages, music, presentations, etc. The atmosphere is fantastic, for the Swiss and Austrians all sporting bragging rights are at stake. I think of it as a combination of a cup final, a Grand Prix and New year's eve.
The actual event starts earlier mid week with practice runs, Friday has a Super g race and Friday night the race draw is held with much ceremony near the finish area. Fireworks also feature. On Sunday there is the slalom, held on the adjacent slalom piste.
After the Saturday's downhill race, in previous years, the public are allowed onto the Hahnenkamm race piste to try it for themselves, especially difficult is the steilhang section, boiler plate ice, impossible to turn and edge on it, the only way to attempt it is to take it straight and then rub off the excess speed as the course flattens out, god willing. There are strategically placed barriers to stop lunatics attempting to ski the course in one.
If you are in the area the week after, the following Tuesday night hosts the equally famous Schladming night race not far away. This is worth visiting also for the atmosphere generated by the noisy fans, tickets are advised for this, bought well in advance (now). You will need tickets for the finish area at Kitzbuhel, you can buy them on the day, you don't need tickets for course side viewing, only for the immediate finish area. Hope this helps.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@p20pjd, forgot to mention ticket prices. In 2012, Hahnenkamm downhill race finish area 25 Euros (Saturday), slalom 21 Euros (Sunday), much more for the seated section in both cases. 2012 Schladming - 35 Euros for the finish area.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pretty much as @davidthornton, also did it in 1999 i think. Spent most of Sunday morning coming down the race course on my backside. I blame it on very old ladies head ski's with no edges and nothing to do with my skiing skill. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wow thanks @davidthornton, great info. I think you've convinced me to take the skis for race day. We will be in the car so thinking of parking at Kirchberg and getting the lift up from there and ski down to the start (am assuming we can buy a race ticket up there, or wouldn't we need one)? At the end of the day I guess we could ether ski back to Kirchberg or get a shuttle train from the bottom.

I read somewhere that during the race the Hahnenkamm lift is only available to racers / officials etc ? That said, I suspect it won't matter if we are just coming down the hill during the race. Do you know how long the race itself actually lasts ?

As an aside, we are planning to ski properly in Kitz on the Monday when it's all open and I may, (may) have a crack at the streif, has anyone else had a crack at it and managed to stay on their feet @ansta1... :/

Thanks again.
Paul
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I was a 2nd or 3rd week skier on rubbish ski's when i went. A intermediate skier on decent ski's will be fine. But stick to the edge of run and not the middle when turning as the middle is all injected ice.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@p20pjd, You won't need tickets to view ski race from course side, only for the finish area. The race, which starts around 11/11.30 a.m., weather dependant, consists of something like 50 racers, the first 30 the leading contenders. But you will only need to watch the top guys in the first 30, however, and it has been known for late starters to do well (1981 Val Gardena when late starters Conrad Bartelski and a young Canadian, whose name escapes me, famously came 2nd and 1st respectively, when the delayed start gave the late runners a faster course due to icing). As each racer takes about 2 minutes to complete the course, I suppose allow at least an hour plus stoppage time for crashes, for the entire race more like 2 hours.
As for the Hahnenkammbahn I'm unaware of restrictions, the Austrian ski team are usually helicoptered up. As@ansta1, says, the Streif is relatively easily managed.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@davidthornton, things have changed since 2012, now much of the top section is fenced off and you will require a ticket (not ski pass) but event ticket to enter the race area. There are ways in through trees and I saw the security overwhelmed at one point but you now should have an event ticket to get to the upper sections such as the Steilhang - wasn't always this way. Still a stunning spectacle but very much losing its gritty race fans in favour of corporate clients - sad really.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks @davidthornton like most events these days, the prawn sandwich brigade tend to get priority.

Ah, we'll definitely get tickets then as I'd like to get as close to the action at the top and as you say, ski down to see other parts of the course.

Out of interest, have you ever been during the week before to watch the DH training? We arrive on Thursday around 11.30 when DH training is scheduled and wondered again what the best way to view this would be and also wondered how long the training lasts for?

Many thanks
Paul
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you get there early enough on the Thursday, you can watch them coming down at the bottom of the Mausefalle. There`s also a video screen there. But on race day you cant stand there without a ticket. Without a doubt the best place to watch it on race day is at the bottom where the atmosphere is revved up and you see everything on the big screens. Its about 25 Euros a ticket and you can just pay on the day easily enough. Unfortunately I wont be there myself this year as the house is rented out, but you will love it, unless like last year the race was only 52/53 seconds long because of the weather, and therefore no action as all the skiiers legs were fine. But the atmosphere in the town afterwards is special. You can catch free trains back and for to Kirchberg before and after the race. So its definetly worth parking there, though you may have trouble getting across if your coming from Saalbach. Im sure the trains run free of charge from St Johann as well. If you do drive, just after St Johann take the back road to Oberndorf, then drop down into Reith. Though that may still be busy with the Germans coming in from the going direction. Living in Kirchberg, we just catch the train every time. I wouldn't consider driving anywhere near Kitz as its just nose to tail from every direction.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks @jafa I was planning to get to Kirchberg very early to avoid the rush, say 8am and come through Leogang and Fieberbrunn towards st Johann.

So now I have conflicting views, you're saying watch it at the bottom, but I was thinking of watching the start at the top and skiing down to the bottom to see them coming over the finish too.. (although i somehow suspect they may get down quicker than me)..!!

Thanks,
Paul
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@p20pjd, as@jafa, says on the training days you watch closely at the top by the start hut and the Mausefalle jump. On race day if I was to watch from one place only it would be at the Hausberg from where you see not only the skiers whooshing past but you can also see the racers cross the line and the packed finish area below and you'll feel and hear the wall of sound that rolls up the slopes from the fans in the finish area. As you are on skis you can watch the early runners up the mountain then ski down for the later ones. If you are there for the training days you can check out the viewing spots. I think from memory the training lasts a couple of hours and if you hang around the top you'll have the ski racers walk past you into the start area for their training runs.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not nearly as detailed as more experienced contributions above. Skied over from Westendorf for Friday practice 2015. Skied down from the top of the Hahnenkamm down the side, there are big screens along the way. Stop and watch a skier coming down the course on the screen, then at the right moment quick glance left and you will see them in real life, only then did I realize just how fast, far off the ground they are in the jumps and just how hard the course ice is, the sound is amazing. Watch a few then ski down to the next vantage point.
Just keep in mind that everyone else is doing the same, the piste goes from empty to jammed in a few seconds in between racers, with skiers of many different abilities. Having said that, it is worth it just to put what you see on telly in perspective.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy