Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Japan backcountry hut / guide recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

We've got a trip to Japan booked for two weeks late Jan / early Feb 2016. The first week we're staying in Niseko / Hirafu (might take a day trip to nearby areas Rusutsu etc, also have an eye on Mt Yotei if conditions allow!) - but the second week, we are after something a bit less crowded and ideally would love to stay in a remote hut / lodge / onsen and ski tour from there. Then probably end with a couple of days in either Sapporo or Tokyo to pick up a bit more of the experience. My wife and I are both good off-piste skiers and tour fairly regularly, we would ideally have a guide some days and do some more mellow days unguided.

I have found a couple of options online (mostly near Furano - Tokachidake etc), but if anyone has any recommendations or stories from similar previous trips I would love to hear them! Ideally a staffed lodge with catering but we are open to all suggestions!

Also, from previous threads I know that Black Diamond Tours get a good reputation on here, but does anyone have any recommendations for guides further east in the Furano area?

Much appreciate any input! Thanks.

Rob

PS - Mike Pow - if you are reading this, I notice you are a bit of an expert but also from our neck of the woods... we have just moved to near Libanus, if you fancy a few beers at our expense in return for some advice, PM me!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@RobH, I would get in touch with BD Tours. They also do trips around Furano (and the guides knew the area very well when I was there with them), and many of the guides are split boarders at heart.

I'm sure they could either set you up with something or put you in touch with someone else.

PS Furano resort is great fun, and there's an awesome onsen in the woods nearby:

latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nice pics! Cliff drops and naked dudes, Japan has it all doesn't it Smile

Thanks for the advice, will certainly drop them a line. Still keen to hear if anyone has done something similar with the remote huts & ski touring ...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
RobH wrote:
Hi all

We've got a trip to Japan booked for two weeks late Jan / early Feb 2016. The first week we're staying in Niseko / Hirafu (might take a day trip to nearby areas Rusutsu etc, also have an eye on Mt Yotei if conditions allow!) - but the second week, we are after something a bit less crowded and ideally would love to stay in a remote hut / lodge / onsen and ski tour from there. Then probably end with a couple of days in either Sapporo or Tokyo to pick up a bit more of the experience. My wife and I are both good off-piste skiers and tour fairly regularly, we would ideally have a guide some days and do some more mellow days unguided.

I have found a couple of options online (mostly near Furano - Tokachidake etc), but if anyone has any recommendations or stories from similar previous trips I would love to hear them! Ideally a staffed lodge with catering but we are open to all suggestions!

Also, from previous threads I know that Black Diamond Tours get a good reputation on here, but does anyone have any recommendations for guides further east in the Furano area?

Much appreciate any input! Thanks.

Rob

PS - Mike Pow - if you are reading this, I notice you are a bit of an expert but also from our neck of the woods... we have just moved to near Libanus, if you fancy a few beers at our expense in return for some advice, PM me!

Hi Rob,

I've stayed here

Ryounkaku Tokachidake Onsen
http://www.furanotourism.com/en/spot/spot_D.php?id=363
http://ryounkakuonsen.wix.com/ryounkaku

Top of the road in Tokachidake. Closest accommodation to the best above treeline skiing.

We were four guys staying in a dorm room sleeping on futons. Think they have double rooms. Basic accommodation. Great onsen.

Food was very Japanese and excellent.

Here's a great vid of the hotel and its location.

http://youtube.com/v/BEchZHvBObc

We were there with Porter Fox who was writing a story for Powder magazine.

Jordan Manley was taking the pics. A few of the area here.

http://jordanmanley.com/SNOW/JAPAN/1

There are other onsen hotels down the road. More modern, more expensive.

Hakuginso Onsen Hotel

We did it unguided.

But if you want guides from that are contact Chuck at Hokkaido Powder Guides

http://hokkaidopowderguides.com/
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Great advice, thanks Mike.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy