Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Budget airlines - are they enforcing ski/board carriage charges?

Poster: A snowHead
I've personally never paid these & have never been challenged at the check-in desk about them. Used Easyjet & Ryanair over the years and would be interested to know if anyone has any first-hand experience this year to see if they've started enforcing their policy?

I personally have a large padded board bag that I stuff with all my clothes. Not much in the regulations (or didn't used to be) about the dimensions of hold luggage, so I've always been ready with the argument that this happens to be a strange-shaped suitcase I have that just happens to have a snowboard in there too... like I say, I've never yet been challenged about it to put my theory to the test!

Anyone got any first-hand experience to relate?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
carled, Easyjet never used to bother but i saw they were chargeing £15 each way for EACH PAIR OF SKIS not each bag thats £60 for the two of us (and they are checking bags i am told) made me decide to drive as i got a good deal on the ferry
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
CEM, just book one pair. If you have one bag, why pay for two. If they cop you stump up the extra at the airport if you have to. They didn't askus if we had 2 pairs in the bag, and the guys on the x-ray machine when you check them through aren't bothered how much you paid. I've found we're less likely to be charged on the return journey. Hubby bought a pair of skis whilst in resort, and we took 'em home without any charge being made.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Helen Beaumont,

thats what i've done in the past, mate of mine got checked flying Luton -Geneva , last week they were checking everyone in the que with a ski bag

could be bad luck or a new policy, the flight i wanted was over easter weekend and to turin cost £320 for 2 people + skis (cheaper to drive in this case)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think our ski carriage was £10 each way with easyJet. We put 2 snowboards in 1 bag, and another bag with board, boots and enough cloths to re-stock Top Shop. No questions asked from easyJet. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just be warned KLM are enforcing €20 per ski bag each way !!!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Basically its a cynical ploy by the airlines to exploit money out of snow sporters. What can we do refuse to pay & they dont let us on the planes, they hold all the cards I think its outrageous. Discrimination in my opinion.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ryanair are the gestapo of weight reinforcers! Be very careful, we were done for £135 on the way out last week....we made the mistake of packing skiboots in our cases to try and cut down on the number of bags. Even though we had paid the extra for sports gear, because the boots were in our ordinary luggage and put that particular weight over they charged! Bought 5 skiboot bags for a fiver each in Italy and came home with no problem at all Puzzled ..............................Letter is in the post Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I got away with the two pairs in a bag trick at LGW last month. But was suprised to be asked to sign a disclaimer that appeared to release EJ from any liability for my equipment. It p****s me off to have to pay extra and then find that they don't even promise to deliver it. Anyone else seen this disclaimer? It was a new system as the check-in guy didn't seem to know how it worked.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wizz Air.com do not charge extra for ski carriage, as long as the total baggage is not more than 20kg per person. They are really cheap for getting to Bulgaria, but this does involve a stop over in Budapest for between 3-5 hours.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jonah735, I think I would rather pay £15 than sit in Budapest for 5 hours.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I don't know how you can complain about the ski/board carriage Puzzled I'm sure we are over the weight limit when bringing them and everything else so more fuel/space so therefore charge for that. Also they take more man power and manipulation to get onto/off a plane etc. It seems perfectly reasonable to me rolling eyes Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
i payed £10 to take my ski's from man-geneva last january
this was return for a pair of skis on jet2
my ski's didnt actually return but thats another story........................
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dan wrote:
I don't know how you can complain about the ski/board carriage Puzzled I'm sure we are over the weight limit when bringing them and everything else so more fuel/space so therefore charge for that. Also they take more man power and manipulation to get onto/off a plane etc. It seems perfectly reasonable to me rolling eyes Toofy Grin

Speak for yourself, I take far less than most people I seeing boarding your average easyjet flight..
I'd be quite happy to see my gear weighed and compared to the luggage allowance, I know I'm under Mad

As for more man power.. what you think they dont just thro them on board with everything else ? Ever watched ?
The only difference is when they go down the outsize baggage chute rather then the normal one..

Really, its just another way of hiding the true cost of a flight until its too late.. but still, RyanAir are the kings of that.... and thats another rant... Mad
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
How about having a total weight....including the person and baggage, then anything over costs extra Confused
latest report
jonah735, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead snowHead (BTW are you a Jack or an immigrant to Swansea wink )
snow report
toby wright, take it easy no need to have a pop Little Angel it certainly does take more effort and man power to put them on the plane, regardless of how they actually treat the bags the staff etc taking care of the outsized bagarea still have to be paid for. You may take less, i'm just saying i think what we take away for a week when you add ski/boards/boots etc etc add up to more than the allowance that the airline allows. I'm pretty sure my board (but it's a 168 so quite big), boots, bindings (flows - so slightly heavier than other bindings), bag, helmet must weigh close to the allowance without any clothes. I'll weigh them in a week when i get them down out of the loft, would be interesting to know............. Puzzled

Just had a squizz at easy jet terms and conditions regarding amount you can carry it doesn't make much sense at first look:

Quote:

Question
How much hold baggage can I take?

Answer
Each passenger is usually permitted

one standard piece of hand baggage to maximum dimensions of 55x40x20cm, and
a free allowance of standard checked-in hold baggage to a maximum weight of 20kgs

A fee per kilo for excess weight over these allowances is charged prior to departure.

Each passenger is allowed a maximum hold baggage weight of 50 kilos including any sports equipment, subject to available space. As items of sporting equipment are inherently unsuitable for carriage by airlines, easyJet is prepared to carry such items on a ‘limited release’ (i.e. entirely ‘at your own risk’ for damage or delay) basis. You may therefore wish to ensure that you have suitable private insurance cover in force for such items. The maximum weight for any single piece of baggage is 32 kgs. Freight or cargo items cannot be accepted as passenger baggage.

Please read our Carrier's Regulations for further information on hold baggage, sporting goods, excess baggage fees, and dangerous articles not permitted in hold baggage.

but then in another part from the "Carrier's Regulation" is

Quote:
Sporting equipment

Each passenger is allowed a maximum hold baggage weight of 50 kilos including any sports equipment, subject to available space. As items of sporting equipment are inherently unsuitable for carriage by airlines, easyJet is prepared to carry such items on a ‘limited release’ (i.e. entirely ‘at your own risk’ for damage or delay) basis. You may therefore wish to ensure that you have suitable private insurance cover in force for such items. The maximum weight for any single piece of baggage is 32 kgs.

Bicycles, golf equipment, and skis

An additional fee is charged per flight for the carriage of bicycles, golf equipment, and skis.

Currency Per flight
GBP 15.00
Euro 22.50
CHF 34.50
DKK 170.00
CSK 660.00
HUF 5,500.00
SlT 5,300.00
PLN 90.00
SKK 850.00

So you can have an extra allowance that you don't seem to have to pay for, for sporting equipment but only if it's not bikes, skis (snowboard equip), golf equipment, Surfboards, wind surfers, hang-gliders, and firearms.

There are some strange things in the terms etc, apparently you can't carry
Quote:
human remains for carriage on any routes.

The carriage of ashes is permitted, however, provided a copy of the death certificate and the cremation certificate accompanies them.
Laughing snowHead Confused
snow conditions
Our 'ordinary' luggage was well within weight and we had paid for ski carriage. Because we had then put our boots in our suitcase (instead of bootbags), this then took the weight of our cases over and they charged us for it.......in otherwords we paid twice!
ski holidays
On my trip back from Calgary (Monarch thro' Inghams), we got the most cheerless of check-in people, who ensured our checked bags were weighed together and took some glee in pointing out we were over the limit (46kgs total). Had to pay 115Cdn.... and this on top of having paid for 'ski' carriage. Will be writing to Monarch with the 'total passenger weight' argument, just to see what happens (partner and I weigh about 65Kg each, comfortably less than some of the more well padded customers on our flight..... I wouldn't have minded if the agent, having said 'we don't weigh the ski bags', would not then let me put the excess in the ski bag. At least she didn't charge for the second ski bag.....

Interestingly, I did see some people just checking in ski/board bags....

I then discovered my partner had stuffed my suitcase with 'samples' from the Fairmont Jasper... must have been the most expensive set of hotel freebies ever....
ski holidays
When I booked my skis in I was told to stuff the ski bag with as much as I could as their was no weight restriction. They were quite right the ski bag was never weighed worth £15 quid each way to carry those gold ingots.
latest report
Interesting thought - the terms and conditions refer to skis... does that mean that a snowboard bag is exempt from charges on a sleazy jet flight?
snow report
mountain mad, not sure actually. I think on the website it says snowboards as well??? I also have a vague memory of someone on snowHead arguing with EasyJet last year and not having pay it, i guess they could refuse to fly you if didn't pay and they said you had to Puzzled
ski holidays
interesting - as I travel with someone else and we take 2 bags - one holdall and one snowboard bag - so does that count as 2 pieces of luggage - one of which happens to be oversize... will see what happens if we end up doing a DIY...
snow conditions
The question I'm trying to get answered (and Easyjets website is very confusing) is whether they charge you £15 for the snowboard bag + £15 for each boot bag - if so that's 30 quid which is outrageous.

anyone know?
snow report
Lorraine,

Excellent idea . Fat people pat more. They should have weighbridge at checkin that you just step onto with your luggage. The weight should flash up on some sign that everyone can see Very Happy

My total baggage weighs 23.8kg where ever I go & that includes skis & boots. I do not carry any Hand luggage except my passport. It pisses me off when I get stung by KLM for sports equipment. My skis only weigh 3.8 kg everything else inc my boots is spot on the 20kg limit but because skis are "sports equipment" its cost €40 round trip for 3.8Kg.

I think the Airlines should seriously cut down on the 10kg hand luggage allowance, It would certainly cut down the time to board a plane if people were restricted to 1-2kg. They should apply there charges to these people who seem to have more onboard luggage than checked luggage.

Incidently anyone flying Switzerand .SWISS do not charge for skis (1 pair) & there fais are quite cheap.
ski holidays
Quote:

I think the Airlines should seriously cut down on the 10kg hand luggage allowance, It would certainly cut down the time to board a plane if people were restricted to 1-2kg. They should apply there charges to these people who seem to have more onboard luggage than checked luggage.

Sometimes you do wonder when you see how much people are taking on as hand luggage.....we always take 1 small daysac per person (usual stuff, book, drink, passport etc.) but some peoples so called 'hand luggage' looks positively dangerous - I always think that if the lockers opened and stuff fell out there could be some nasty injuries
ski holidays
zippy, didn;t charge us twice, skis and boots were one piece of baggage.
latest report
I,ll be posting up a series of emails exchanges I have been having with KLM Customer Complaints.
I promissed KLM that I would post on this website if they dont provide me with a satisfactory answer. Just giving them another week for further reaction Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Flying to Munich with BA in March and their policy is pretty clear:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/bagsport/public/en_gb
ski holidays
be careful folks - we flew jet2 man-cmf this weekend, all hold baggage was weighed and we were charged for excess baggage.
Since we had four sets of skis but only three bags (and three boot bags, one set being in a suitxcase), we only declared three sets
luckily the girl at checkin was nice and let us be honest and re-declare two sets of skis in one bag so were were only charged for 4 kilos excess wieght (between 4 of us) rather than 12. that reduced the excess charges quite a lot - £80 return for all the skis plus £20 (£5 * 4 kilos), rather nthan £60 + £60(12*5)
latest report
Quote:

Since we had four sets of skis but only three bags (and three boot bags, one set being in a suitxcase), we only declared three sets
luckily the girl at checkin was nice and let us be honest and re-declare two sets of skis in one bag

I'm sorry, but if I'm paying for the airline to carry my skibag its none of their business how many skis are in it providing it is less than the weight limit which according to the easyjet T&Cs is 32kg per single item and max hold baggage weight of 50kg. So that means I can have 20kg hold baggage paid for on my ticket and upto 30kg ski bag paid for separatley. I'm never going to get anywhere near that weight wise though.

I'm going to Les Arc in February and will be travelling by train down to cambridge to meet my friends. I'll be taking at least 2 pairs of skis and boots - down hill and tele and might add in a third set of nordic kit. I still reckon I can keep my whole luggage under 30kg. Last time I flew BA (3years agao) I kept my hold bag + ski bag under 25kg in total. They didn't check or weigh in the ski bag.

Last year when I flew Ryanair I kept my hold bag under 15kg and the ski bag was around 10kg max. Again they didn't weigh or check the skibag.
snow conditions
Jet 2 aren;t quite so generous Sad

Quote:

***The personal baggage allowance for winter sports passengers is increased from 18kg to 28kg subject to this additional payment per sector. Should this limit be exceeded, the normal excess baggage charges will apply.

one more airline crossed off the list
ski holidays
Another good reason to Drive Toofy Grin
snow report
Quote:

***The personal baggage allowance for winter sports passengers is increased from 18kg to 28kg subject to this additional payment per sector. Should this limit be exceeded, the normal excess baggage charges will apply.

In which case they have no business saying how many skis are in the bag, as long as the total weight is under 28kg and you have paid the additional payment Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
weights was far over in total - cheaper to pay ski carriage than excess baggage charges
snow conditions
stephen bleakley wrote:

But the enforcement totally isn't. We (me and 49 others) have just flown Birmingham-Milan-Birmingham. With only three exceptions, we had our own skis/boots, and some people took too. Quite a few people were under the 20kg limit on their main bag, but once you add in the ski bag as well....

In neither direction was anyone charged excess baggage.
snow report
Wont be long before they start charging for all baggage, that way they can cut out on all the small print.

Still think the weighbridge idea is the best. You pay for your weight Very Happy
snow report
stephen bleakley wrote:
Quote:

But the enforcement totally isn't. We (me and 49 others) have just flown Birmingham-Milan-Birmingham. With only three exceptions, we had our own skis/boots, and some people took too. Quite a few people were under the 20kg limit on their main bag, but once you add in the ski bag as well....

In neither direction was anyone charged excess baggage.

I guess like most rules they are showing the worst case scenario to prevent people turning up at the airport with a ski shop's worth of ski gear, but it's then down the staff at the check in desk whether to apply the rule.

Firmly believe as well that it depends on when you get there and how nice you are - the number of times I've turned up nice and early to a Ryanair flight with a fairly large bag slung over my shoulder, a bit of sweet talk and they don't even bother to weigh it or check the dimensions!

Helen Beaumont wrote:
Quote:
zippy, didn;t charge us twice, skis and boots were one piece of baggage.

I've got my kit all out in France already so it's just the flight home I've got to worry about. I suppose I could take a chance on the Easyjet staff at Lyon not bothering with the 15 quid charge but I'll hedge my bets and pay the 15 quid and hope they dont weigh the snowboard bag (it will have all the ski gear in plus a pair of blades!) or try and charge me separately for 3 boot bags....
snow report
Ryanair are the gestapo of weight reinforcers! Be very careful, we were done for £135 on the way out last week....we made the mistake of packing skiboots in our cases to try and cut down on the number of bags. Even though we had paid the extra for sports gear, because the boots were in our ordinary luggage and put that particular weight over they charged! Bought 5 skiboot bags for a fiver each in Italy and came home with no problem at all ..............................Letter is in the post

We've got a refund.....Yippee! Little Angel
latest report
stephen bleakley, yes , but skis and boots count as one piece and not two. As we were flying to Canada we were allowed 2 pieces of hold luggage each so 1case, 1 ski bag+1 bootbag only counted as 2 pieces of luggage. No excess charged.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy