Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Chapelle d'Abondance (PDS)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@mikeycharlton, not sure if it's been mentioned further up the thread, but what time of year are you going? If it's Jan/Feb/early March, then La Chapelle is an excellent choice IMO, for the reasons already mentioned. However, compared to Chatel, there's little-to-no artificial snowmaking there, so there's an element of risk to skiing there early or late season.

Re: Beaufort vs Abondance cheese, it's a bit like comparing skiing with skydiving. Both can be very good.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@snoozeboy,

9th January.

Although i'm staying in La Chapelle, my accommodation is right next to the Panthiaz lift, so i'll probably get the Chatel lift pass.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We were in Chatel for that first week in Jan a couple of years back and went to La Chapelle for a day and had an absolutely stunning time because it was so quiet. There were 4 cars in the car park at La Braitaz when we arrived, the lifts and pistes were deserted, we had the whole mountain to ourselves, barely saw anyone all day. I can't remember from which summit it was but there is beautiful view of Lac Leman from one of them. Have a great time.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Timc,

if conditions are good then i'll just get myself a day pass for La Braitaz. Definitely up for having the slopes to myself.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mikeycharlton wrote:
@snoozeboy,

9th January.

Although i'm staying in La Chapelle, my accommodation is right next to the Panthiaz lift, so i'll probably get the Chatel lift pass.

9 January, you should be fine. You'll have the hill to yourself. I really like it down there, particularly during Feb half term, when the Avoriaz side of Chatel gets too busy.

Between your ski pass options the Chatel pass offers a very good range of varied skiing and easily enough kms. I always thought the Evasion pass was good value too, especially if you want to see more of the Swiss side, but I don't rate the skiing (or the restaurants) between Morgins and Pointe d'Au as highly as Torgon/Super Chatel. Either way, these are are your preferred 2 options, IMO and you can't go wrong with either. I wouldn't bother with full PdS as you're right at one end of it and you're unlikely to benefit from the extra areas for the extra money. La Chapelle only may be too limited for you, unless it's white-out and deep powder.

Enjoy!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
under a new name wrote:
@DJL, iirc, hauts forts top out at 2,440m

Yes, but that's the mountain, the lift doesn't go up that high. There's only 166m difference between the top of the lift in Avoriaz and the top of the Chatel lift system. (edit: it's actually 123m between top of Cornebois and top of Grands Combes). However, whilst the villages are listed at 1800m (Avoriaz) and 1200m (Chatel), the crowds head towards Avoriaz for supposedly higher skiing. This suits us fine, but judging from the amount of building work going on in Chatel at the moment, it looks as though the secret may be out.

I also forgot to mention you get some of the best views in the PdS around the Torgon pistes, over the Rhone valley and Lac Leman.

I don't know the height of the top lift in Torgon, but I reckon 2300m is quoted as the highest mountain that the Torgon lift pass will reach, which may be the Mossettes. The Torgon peaks, Linleu, Haut Sex and Tour de Don all max out around 2000. It's unlikely to matter much on the 9th of January anyway.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 28-10-15 14:42; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@mikeycharlton, And don't miss the cakes in the restaurant at the top of Braitaz. Just the job with a coffee on a cold January day!

If you are buying tickets day by day I would suggest a day with the full PDS but starting from Pre La Joux is worthwhile (get the bus up the valley). Then you could head over to Avoriaz and over to the Swiss side. IF you make really good progress it is possible to finish back at Pantiaz, otherwise easy to get back over to Chatel and bus back down the valley. Don't leave it too late though it is an expensive taxi back from either Avoriaz or a Swiss resort!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@snoozeboy, ah, yes, you are quite right, clearly I recalled in-correctly Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mikeycharlton wrote:
@Timc,

if conditions are good then i'll just get myself a day pass for La Braitaz. Definitely up for having the slopes to myself.

Braitaz covered on Chatel pass Smile
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
sarah wrote:
mikeycharlton wrote:
@Timc,

Braitaz covered on Chatel pass Smile

Ah yes, I still haven't mastered my Braitaz's, Panthiaz's and Cret Beni's have I? wink

thanks for the info guys and girls.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Over the summer I heard of a plan to save the Jorette lift, but it did not really dawn on me what was in play.
Saturday I found out the hard way.
As the views were great above the cloud I wanted to take my boys up to the Jorette and ski down to Torgon, as the views from that face are normally amazing.
Something strange though, the base station had gone, and only the Tronchey lift was there.
Worse still is that I'd skied through this way 3 times already this season and not even noticed.
There is a navette from the car park to the base of Torgon, but then there's only the drag to get half way up the face of la Jorette.
Alternatively there are 2 routes from the Tour de Don ( looking at the terrain ) One looks like taking the itinerary under Tronchey, then traversing a long way, and the other looks like taking the Tour de Don drag and taking a left from the top. I would need a guide / instructor to do these the first time to learn them well.
The pylons are still in place, but the main base station, cable and chairs are all gone.
Does anyone know if this will return in the next year or so, like the new chair on the Pt De l'Au, which took a 3 year vacation, or is it gone for good?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@WindOfChange, When i was waiting for the Tronchey lift a few weeks ago there was a sign on the building next to it saying it was the location for the new lift and also giving details of what was planned, but to be honest I didnt take much notice of it.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy