Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Courmayeur ittineraries

Poster: A snowHead
Off to Courmayeur in Jan for a weekend and interested in the status of the itineraries.

This thread seems to conclude that they 100% classified as off-piste and are not marked or avi controlled.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1949374

So, two questions:
1. Are any of the itineraries on glaciated terrain (my NatWest insurance doesn't cover glacier skiing so need better insurance if so); and
2. Can anyone recommend guides in Courmayeur who I can either book in to an existing group as a snowboarder (probably preferred), or privately hire (more tricky, not sure who else n the trip would be up for it).

I suspect that a guide would probably do something a but more interesting than the itinerary as would think they get tracked out quickly? So what is really the point of them?

Thanks Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1. Yes. Upper section of the Helbronner surely also the top of Arp I think.

2. I think you'd need to call the ski school or guides office.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't think the top of Arp is glaciated, an ISTD friend has taken groups down it.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hey Kat if you can be more specific - I'd be happy to help you out but...
Arp isn't glaciated but Helbronner is.
get some insurance that covers you for off-piste skiing glacier or not rega.ch is pretty ok
as for guiding - check my site out loads of things to do www.nosiesta.com - Courmayeur is a great starting point - then onto bigger and better like the Helbronner and longer runs (on glaciers)
cheers
Francis
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As far as I can see, Rega is not an insurance company, and its assistance outide Switzerland and Liechstenstein is limited to medical advice and necessary repatriation for CH and LI residents. And such services are provided at its own discretion, as a thank you for donations.

Inside CH/LI territory it's much more useful, covering you for the recovery of lost cattle carcasses, etc.

I'll be interested if I'm wrong...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks guys, will call the guides officer near the time and check out your website @chamo74.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Rega is not an insurance but does cover certain case scenarios as you mentioned.
Another alternative many Brits go with is becoming a member of the Austrian Alpine Club (more Brits in it than in the BMC)
Details can be found here http://aacuk.org.uk/
Pretty comprehensive (other than flying sports) and you can sign up online
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
TBH for what will be 1 day of guiding, I would rather stick to non glaciated terrain. Existing insurance covers for off-piste with a guide.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ahhh, AAC doesn't cover ski racing, although I'm not planning any outside of CH...

I'm sticking with Carte Neige again. I think.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Do this from the top of Arp.

http://youtube.com/v/C8OENMaDzgc

Looks quite nice.

Make sure you have a friend with a skidoo.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
http://www.ibs.it/code/9788890814327/courmayeur-mont-blanc.html

Everything you need to know is in this book. There are many good non glacier options, there are many guides to show you around based in Courmayeur. If it's one day you should be able to get insurance with your pass very cheap, but check the cover in advance. I've done a lot here anything specific please ask.

This the finish to one of the standard itineraries off the Arp, late season, no glacier but it's worth getting a guide if you don't know the area!

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 14-10-15 0:35; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
yes plenty to be had from the Arp lift on either side of the ridge as well. Some fun and interesting itineraries for sure.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Is there someone who can recommend an experienced and good guide in Courmayeur?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sure Smile check my website out:
www.nosiesta.com
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks @jbob,
ski holidays
If you're doing one day off-piste from Courmayeur you should definitely do the Vallee Blanche from the Italian side with a guide. See this from WTSS (below) We did it last year & it was fantastic before the new cable car! We also had 1/2 a day in Courmayeur with the same guide who took us down a briliant itinerary. However it felt quite serious & in the less than perfect visibility later in the week we didn't fancy repeating it. That said there is loads of off-piste fun to be had through the trees below the chair lifts on the left (looking down) of the resort.
Our guide was called Alex from Guides Alpine Courmayeur. He was great but I think just a skier.

ITALY
Courmayeur will have a spectacular new two-stage cable that revolves 360º to make the most of the views on the way up to Punta Helbronner at 3460m on Mont Blanc. This serves fabulous, long off-piste runs on glacier terrain – to be explored only with a qualified mountain guide. But it will be worth riding up and down just for the mind-blowing views. Courmayeur’s pistes are on the opposite side of the valley and suit intermediates best. The village is charming and resort is renowned for its excellent and affordable bars and restaurants, on and off the mountain.
snow report
Pretty sure NatWest insurance covers you anywhere with a guide .... But if you're serious about off piste skiing i'd forget natwest and get some proper cover .... I had natwest but always use mpi brokers for real cover !
latest report
Also see:

http://www.passionemontagna.it/Recensioni/scialp/Freeride.htm
snow conditions
Quote:

Pretty sure NatWest insurance covers you anywhere with a guide

I thought so too - but another poster on here spotted the glacier exclusion and NatWest confirmed that.

Thanks @BenTisdall, and @altis.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy