Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

65 yr old return to snow/skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Some of you may know I am taking my Dad on a day trip to France for a surprise birthday present in January. He has not been on ski's for over 10 years. I would like to get him a refresher lesson/day at one of the domes. I have looked on Hemel's site but can only find lessons rather than refreshers.

Does anyone know if Hemel has such things or would I need to look for a private lesson?

Thanks in advance
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd go for a private lesson so it can be entirely tailored to his needs. Get a recommendation here.

What a great idea. snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Agree it's a great idea, but how will you keep the trip a surprise whilst pushing him into having the lesson(s)?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
His Birthday is next month which is when we will present him with the eurostar tickets etc. Due to work and other things in life we plan to see him the day before his actual birthday. The lessons will probably be a gift from my Mum which she will give on his Birthday which then fits in nicely to the surprise trip.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ah... there had to be a plan in there! Smile

I'm just nudging 60 myself and I had an enforced 7 years without any ski trips ending three years ago. I was pleasantly pleased how quickly I got back in the saddle. So I'm sure he'll be fine especially if you get him that lesson.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I spoke to Hemel this morning and I have 4 options:

1. They run a "Rusty Refresher" for an hour 8-9am at weekends - £44
2. Start from a Level 3 (Plough Turns) and hopefully over a few sessions get signed off to use the main slope
3. Private 1:1 @ £110 hr
4. Throw a set of ski's at him and get on the main slope and hope he gets his legs back
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If he's not skied indoors before I'd hesitate to go for 4 unless he was a strong Skier before AND has kept active. how far do you have to travel? A couple of rusty refreshers might be good. What lessons are you planning out on the mountain?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
And 65 is really quite young; I remember it well!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@pam w, My dad used to be a good skiier, always up for a challenge and nothing fazed him. I would say he has the same mentality but his body/fitness holds him back.

The plan for the trip is to just go and zoom about as it only a day trip to Les Arc. I just want to make sure he is as prepared as he can be to get the most out of the day.

As for travel, Hemel is 45 min drive so its not that far.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@chrisrawles, what about Inside Out Skiing? I would recommend the 'Building Blocks' skills clinic (there are two in the calendar for November http://www.insideoutskiing.com/calendar.html )
Rob Rees, who is doing these particular clinics in November, is rob@rar on here, so you could pm him for more information and to discuss whether this would be suitable, or contact him through the Inside Out website. I'm a fairly experienced skier, but I found this 'back to basics' tour of the various tools in the skiing toolbox very useful indeed. Rob is a fantastic teacher.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@chrisrawles, apres lessons on wednesday evening might work well, put him in level 3, if he's better he'll could get moved up during the lesson as there will be level 4/5/6 lessons running at the same time, level 3 take them from snow plough, to more controlled snow plough, top of learner slope, level 4 should take them to top of main slope by end of lesson.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The evenings on the main slope at hemel can be quite varied conditions now the slope usage has been seriously upped this month. For the least moved around clumpy snow with sometimes slippery hardpack down the middle, i'd only recommend getting to hemel as early in the day as possible . The training slope keeps it's base and consistancy throughout the day but the main slope can be extremely variable.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@chrisrawles, your dad has a bit of time to work on fitness before the trip and a great incentive to get the best out of the day. Maybe tell him now! Are you going by overnight train?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pam w, Yes I am hoping the trip will give him the incentive to address his fitness a little. In 4 weeks time he will know all so not much longer to keep the secret. I think I'm getting excited as well. The last time were on a slope together was about 20 years ago in Canada.

Yes we are doing the night train from Kings X. Just a shame it's zero alcohol now.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@chrisrawles, When I saw you mention Kings Cross I thought 39 steps, flying scotsman etc. So it made me investigate the options. I just noticed that the sleeper train now goes from Euston not Kings X to Aviemore. It also leaves Crewe at Midnight and gets to Aviemore just before 8:00. It might pan out for a slightly more expensive, but different, ski weekend.

I hope your dad is not disappointed that it is only a day trip. My 65th comes up in January. I have invited my friends to join me for a slightly longer weekend in Les Arcs, but we will take the easy option, evening flight on Thursday, rent a car and get the last flight back Sunday night.
snow report
@johnE, Although I'm sure he would love a longer trip the my holiday from the 9-5 is already spoken for next year as the partner and I are planning on a few boarding trips around Europe! Selfish I know!
latest report
@chrisrawles, hopefully your dad will remember how much he enjoys skiing and sort out some future holidays for himself. snowHead
snow report
I'm slightly younger but in a similar situation (except it's about four years since I've skied). I'm a very experienced skier but feel I need a bit of a boost to get back to where I was - not least as I've booked onto a SCGB holiday and classified myself as able to ski reds comfortably and some blacks......... So my plan is to book myself onto a Lesson 5 at MK Snow Dome, checking their numbers, as some have only one person on. I won't mention I've had about 20 weeks skiing in my history until I'm there.

That would be a cheaper possibility. (You can check numbers on their booking pages) if the trip from Cambridge isn't too far.

I was toying with doing another Warren Smith day at Hemel but don't think I'm up to it at the mo. And, I'm back and the gym getting my fitness back to a reasonable level.
snow conditions
Then you can pack him off to the buildabash week in livigno:)
ski holidays
@johnE, The Scottish sleeper has gone from Euston for at least 18 years (the time I have been using it).
latest report
@MadMountainMan, 18 years! doesn't time fly
snow report
@chrisrawles, if your dad is not very fit and going skiing all day after a night sitting on a train it's possibly just as well there'll be no alcohol!
latest report
@johnE, Sadly I can only answer yes... Shocked
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy