Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Italy or France at New Years

Poster: A snowHead
I have read lots of posts and am still confused, because of the constraints on my problem and my limited information. As a first-time poster (and just signed up) please be patient!

In short, my wife has agreed to let "us" (meaning me) ski for a week, about Dec 27-Jan 3. We'll be in Paris for Christmas (so TGV possibilities to the French Alps). We have to be in Rome Jan 3 or 4 (so Dolomites or Italian Alps a possibility). Criteria:

1. Decent chance at good skiing for me. (I haven't skied in a few years, so probably red and black pistes and some off-piste.)
2. French or Italian speaking. Prefer NOT Switzerland because of the cost. So France or Italy (and not in the German-speaking parts of Dolomites)
3. A charming and beautiful town, ideally with transportation to other charming places, since my wife might not ski at all
4. Not too high altitude as a base, since my wife is sensitive to altitude. I know this conflicts with #1 given it's early season.

I don't know the Alps, so I'm having trouble getting a clear vision.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chamoluc? (Italy)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@under a new name, typo...he means Champoluc! 😀. Pretty (but not overly so). Lovely atmosphere, and seems like a good place to be a non skier...nice walks, with a new pool and spa complex. I'm not sure how easy it is to get to other places, though there must be buses down the mountain. Resort height 1600m.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Champoluc wasn't even on my radar screen. Now it is. It looks like it might be a little less of a good base for my wife to "hang out" (and go to lingering Christmas markets, etc.) What about Aosta itself? Looks like a larger town. Not sure if it's charming, though it's supposed to have a nice Christmas market that would still be in operation. I guess I'd be on a gondola to Pila, or driving/bus to other resorts from there.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@fernald21, Aosta's a nice enough town. Pila skiing is intriguing.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Plenty going on in Aosta but it's a sizeable place with huge steelworks. Maybe not what she had in mind and snow on the ground far from guaranteed. Madonna? But it's late. Accommodation for your dates could be an issue.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Okay, Aosta steelworks don't sound ideal.

What about the French side? We could take the train from Paris to somewhere (Geneva? Annecy?) and if needed rent a car. Megeve is supposed to be pretty around Christmas--maybe crowded? We could also easily reach Courmayeurfrom the French/Swiss side.

Then it's easy to fly from Geneva to Rome when we're done.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@fernald21, anywhere in France or neighbouring is likely to be mobbed, highest week of the season.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Under a new name, Yes, this is another reason I find it logistically challenging (especially since all the resorts are just abstract "names" to me). Are the "less convenient" locales in Italy going to be less mobbed? Madonna, Champoluc, etc?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@fernald21, Champoluc for example is typically only mobbed on the 30th/31st and last year was apparently surprisingly quiet on the 1st and 2nd although not in town. I was laid up with a broken hand so can't detail personally. It was certainly not too terrible on the 31st....
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Courmayeur is a nice town worth a visit . The 7 day ski pass allows you to ski twice in la thuille,you can catch the bus free with your ski pass either down at the bus station or outside cable car station twice a day.this would also allow you to ski across the border in la Rosierre in France .you can easily get down to Aosta to ski Pila and its motorway all the way.A trip through the Mont Blanc tunnel brings you out in Chamonix and also half way between Courmayeur and la thuille there is the spa complex at pre st didier with indoor and outdoor spa pools .There is also a railway line that ends I think in pre st didier ,not sure how many trains there are each day.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It would be a lot simpler, possibly cheaper and certainly quieter, if you looked at a standalone ski trip later in the season. Late January or mid March, for example, if you were looking at France.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@fernald21, Your list of requirements are not straight-forward. France does not have many attractive resorts for non-skiers. Chamonix is a proper town and has snowsure skiing at new year but will be very crowded. French side of portes du soleil has some pretty resorts at low altitude. The ideal though might be somewhere like Zell am See in Austria but guess that will be problematic with travel. however, you can fly to Munich from Paris and hire a car then fly to Rome from Munich. Ticks 3 of your 4 boxes the lack of German won't be a problem though.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@fernald21, have a look at Serre Chevalier. Lots for non-skiers and not a typical purpose built ski resort. Old atmospheric villages (Monetier, Le Bez). Briancon old town, thermal spa, and lots of ways to meet up for lunch on the mountain. Night train from Paris or daytime TGV to Oulx. Back to Oulx again for the train to Rome via Turin. Villages at anything from 1200-1500m so not too high. I have had a cancellation at my apartment, and could offer 6 nights from 27th Dec to Jan 2nd. PM me if you want details.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@fernald21, that's a great suggestion and suitable accommodation for your dates won't be easy. I'd go for the offer from @Hells Bells,
ski holidays
@fernald21, great shout and even better offer @Hells Bells,
snow report
@Snowsartre, I agree the requirements aren't straightforward! That's why I realized I needed expert advice Happy My wife speaks Italian and French, and she wants to practice one of those languages--which is why she's not so keen on German.

@pam w, that's a terrible suggestion...since I was hoping for both! My wife read your post and she said, maybe we could go to the Loire Valley for New Years instead! In late Jan and March, we'll be in the U.S. I can plan a standalone ski trip to Utah or British Columbia for then...but I was hoping for both Happy (We've done a lot of touring together in the past year, but I haven't managed to get a ski trip in a while.)

My current thinking is to see if I can find a nice hotel, in a good location, with transportation that works. With some searching of the options suggested so far, Cormayeur is looking like the front runner. (Others, like Madonna, are expensive--probably because I waited so long to get focused on this.)
ski holidays
@Hells Bells, our messages crossed. I'll PM you to get details.
ski holidays
Just closing the loop on this, it looks like it will all work out, thanks to Snowheads and, in particular, @Hells Bells! She found a way to tick all the boxes!

@Pam W, your suggestion of skiing later in the season is a great one--I've actually never skied Christmas before, for exactly this reason. But I managed to get "special dispensation" to add a ski trip at Christmas and didn't want to miss out. I am definitely hoping to add a second one later in the season.

As a new member of Snowheads, let me thank all of you for helping find a great solution!
snow report
@fernald21, glad to be of help.
snow conditions
Ser re Che has fairly low towns with high skiing. there's also plenty of challenging g stuff and off piste.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy