Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why should an intermediate not ski on expert ski

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'd second what @jedster says.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
At 18 stone it surprises me that you aren't folding that boot in half. From your description of the heel lift you are getting it sounds like they are too big for you. I would talk to a fitter and see what they recommend.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jedster wrote:
Oh and I'd definitely sort that out before worrying about skis

If your feet are moving around inside your boots no ski is going to work properly. In fact it's plain dangerous.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
smagsmith wrote:
I also then started trying to pull my foot out of the boot whilst standing in line for the lift. It would not come out, but I could lift the heel a couple of cm up off the bed

Not trying to contradict what others have said here but you aren't giving enough information here to know whether the boot is too big. If you try to lift your heel in ANY ski boot (even a perfectly fitted one) you will be able to do so to a degree. The test you should be doing is flexing forward in your boots and seeing if you heel moves up - if it does then they are too big. If you try to lift your heel up you are not replicating any kind of movement that you will be doing when skiing.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

The test you should be doing is flexing forward in your boots and seeing if you heel moves up

yes, that's what I understand. You can nearly always pull your heel up a bit with a straight leg (ie as though trying to pull the foot out of the boot). But provided your heel doesn't lift when you are in a "ski position" with flexed ankles and knees over your bindings, it's OK.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
nemesys wrote:
smagsmith wrote:
I also then started trying to pull my foot out of the boot whilst standing in line for the lift. It would not come out, but I could lift the heel a couple of cm up off the bed

Not trying to contradict what others have said here but you aren't giving enough information here to know whether the boot is too big. If you try to lift your heel in ANY ski boot (even a perfectly fitted one) you will be able to do so to a degree. The test you should be doing is flexing forward in your boots and seeing if you heel moves up - if it does then they are too big. If you try to lift your heel up you are not replicating any kind of movement that you will be doing when skiing.

These are earlier posts:

smagsmith wrote:

What I did notice was I was getting quite a bit of heal lift.

irie wrote:
Do you mean that while skiing your heels were lifting away from the footbed in the boot?

smagsmith wrote:
Yes, exactly that

Hope this helps.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sorry - missed those - fairy snuff Embarassed
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I watched this videohttp://youtube.com/v/WJ_KXgeVTw8

I tried my naked foot in the shell and the lateral fit is great. But when I put my toes to the front I had a 30 ml gap between my heel and the back of the shell.
I have also been playing with the flex adjuster screw and if I crank the flex up they feel good. But if I soften it off they are very soft. I had never played with that before.
You can tell I am learning lots as I go through this thread.

My worry now is that my boots are too long.
This time when I put them on I focuses on flexing and seeing if my heel lifted. It didn't lift as much as if I stand straight and try and lift it. I still feel that I don't feel locked in around the heel and ankle. It is more fire aft movement and not lateral.
Is 30 MM too much and I have simply bought boots that are too long?
Should I reduce the length of the boot?
Should I get volume reducers for around the ankles?

My boots are very comfy and although 5 years old they are in great nick as I only get 1 week per year. I would be reluctant to buy a new pair if I can adjust these ones. ( purely because they are so comfy)

Thanks for all the advice so far guys. I do wonder if I am just looking for excuses for not being an awesome skier. Maybe I should focus my effort on my ability instead of my equipment. Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You are in Huddersfield which is about 3 hours from Bicester where Solutions4feet are. Make an appointment to see them and take your boots AND skis with you. Best to go during the week if possible. Don't pîss around any more, CEM will get you sorted but won't have you spending money for nothing.

www.solutions4feet.com/about-us
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Is 30 MM too much and I have simply bought boots that are too long?

Yes. There is nothing youncan do about this. All the gear no idea doesn't apply to ski boots. You need something that fits and suits your body or you will ski like a cat taking a dump.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@smagsmith, they are so comfy because they are so much too big.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name wrote:
@smagsmith, they are so comfy because they are so much too big.

yes, I think that is true. But I get no lateral movement, I just need to remove some volume from the length some how.
Looked at some ankle volume reducers to try and get a tighter fit around the ankle. something like these
http://www.skiequipmentuk.co.uk/shop/products/Sidas_Butterfly_Ankle_Volume_Reducers_For_Ski_Boots.htm
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
30 mm sound too big to be able to get any meaningful volume reduction. You will be wasting your time.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Looked at some ankle volume reducers to try and get a tighter fit around the ankle. something like these

Those won't do what you want. You need the boot to be at least 1cm shorter than it is. A performance fit would be 2cm shorter. Foam isn't going to achieve that for you. You will eventually replace these boots as they are much too big and there is no way of fixing that. People are trying to stop you throwing good money after bad.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
All that said though, all a boot needs to do is transmit foot movements and tibial movement to the skis.

My last boots were a full shell too big as I literally couldn't get my feet into the ones that they should have fitted because the shells were too stiff (there is an entirely unrelated lesson to that).

But a narrow last meant that although my toes weren't as close to the front of the boot as one would ideally desire, I still needed a little TLC of bootfitting to be comfortable. One could argue that the hinge point of my ankle was maybe not optimal but that's getting really quite fussy.

HOWEVER, almost certainly @smagsmith's boots aren't just too long but probably overall too big volume and really, new boots it should be.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy