Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bode Miller now admits to skiing drunk [CBS allegation]... and doesn't rule out doing it again

Poster: A snowHead
David Murdoch, Bode came across as arrogant when sitting next to Daron Rahlves at that Beaver Creek press conference. There's a definite contrast there.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Martin Bell, I do believe your comment, honest! Fair point regarding Daron Rahlves.

I think it's rather sad when someone clearly gifted loses the "touch" that helped them get to an otherwise admirable position.

Maybe having to apologise will help take him off on a different track. Maybe I should just shut up now too! Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pity he said sorry. The Yanks would have sacked him. Plenty of 'Millers' in the Uk, must be some British connections, 6 hour wait at the Passport office, just time to get him in the GB team for the Olympics!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The balanced article about Bode Miller, by Jim Litke of Jackson Hole Star Tribune, makes stimulating reading.
Quote:
Miller's few lines to the effect of, "If you ever tried to ski when you're wasted, it's not easy," garnered most of the attention. But the really fascinating part was watching him work out with a weighted wheelbarrow on a gravel floor in a shed behind the house where he grew up.

Nearly every story about Miller's childhood mentions the hippie parents and the home without electricity or running water to explain his iconoclastic bent. But they fail to connect it to his development as a skier. Most of the unorthodox methods he taught himself, it should be noted, are fast becoming orthodoxy in the sport.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PG wrote:
My take on which celebrity he least resembles? Has to be ....... Michael Jackson Laughing

Oh come on PG at least they're both white. wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
True! But are they the same gender? Puzzled
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
He blew it today in Wengen. 2nd after the downhill part of the combined. Only Walchhofer faster than him but no match for Miller in slalom. All he really had to do was post a fast but safe run to claim victory but he straddled a few gates from the end. Handed Raich the victory on a plate. This is just the combined in Wengen, it'll be more pressureised in the Olympics. I don't think the moon walking half way down or the hug from a chimp helped mind you.

He was the best supported skier there though. Lot's of American's in the crowd. John Clark claimed that he's more popular in Austria than he is in America now.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JohnHill wrote:
John Clark claimed that he's more popular in Austria than he is in America now.

Well, as long as he keeps messing up, and letting the Austrians through, then he will be!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
That's not the only reason. The Austrians love boozing.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Still, for want of half an inch on one gate - no half measures from the man who skis to the limit, and never skis 'safe' - he demonstrated that in the combined he was the best skier there, in my view. An excellent downhill, and a good slalom in the circumstances. Demonstrated he's the man to beat in the combined, and right up there in the downhill and slalom stakes (when he manages to finish the latter). Not so hot in SuperG this year, but he's done ok in GS.

Firmly silenced the critics with respect to his form in different events, and a pretty amazing performance given the turmoil of the past week.

[edit: that's "skis to the limit", and not "skis over the limit", of course... Madeye-Smiley)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
David Goldsmith wrote:
That's not the only reason. The Austrians love boozing.

He actually does opening of supermarkets and stuff over here (as does Maier and others) - they sell booze too though. In lederhosenland Arnies out and Bode is in.

........ and if Raich hadn't of made a few similar mistakes he would of been a lot further ahead at this point in the game too.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PG, Yes, he was by far the best skier there but.... Raich swaggered off with the loot. On current form he poses no threat whatsoever in slalom because he can't finish the course. The Olympic track (for the Sl proper anyway) will be way tougher than this one and the pressure far higher. He won't stay in the course and even if he does over 2 runs (a miracle) Raich and Rocca (and Baxter) will be ahead. You didn't like the Michael Jackson analogy so I have another for you... Seve Ballesteros only started winning golf's majors when he learnt to play three quarter shots. Bode should have won today but this "all or nothing" approach will cost him time after time. It's a lack of cool.

GS is will be far more difficult to call and I'd put Rahlves and many others ahead of him.

In SG and DH of course he'll have to beat our Finlay.

Quote:

Firmly silenced the critics

If he'd won, maybe...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Anything for a giggle at the demise of the Yanks, I always say....and what a suitable topic for conversation at the dinner table, right Buns? Who's your daddy sleeping with? That's right....GW Bush. And what a bedfellow to have too. No need to fear any boogerman under your bed. Anyway, your on the money PG, Bode was fastest today and happy with just that. Bode would say, use a little of your brain. Think outside the box folks....the win is only a part of it. In fact, its the end of the ride, not the ride itself. Anyway, Bode has always said the slalom is for poofters. Lets see how he does in the Abfahrt bis Morgan. NehNeh
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jacques, remember that thread about the ski trip packing check list? Well, I'd really like to see yours.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

In SG and DH of course he'll have to beat our Finlay.

and he didn't manage to beat Finlay in today's DH from Wengen! What happened Jacques?
ski holidays
PG wrote:
Still, for want of half an inch on one gate - no half measures from the man who skis to the limit, and never skis 'safe' - he demonstrated that in the combined he was the best skier there, in my view. An excellent downhill, and a good slalom in the circumstances.

...but, as someone said "To finish first, first you have to finish". His record there has to be screwing his slalom standings, and consequently also his overall. As a "go for it" type, I'm only too aware from personal experience, it's great fun to pelt down a course for half of it (or whatever) and be faster than everyone else, but if you then ski out that counts for nothing - which is one reason (among many others Wink ) why I'd be a crap racer.
snow report
GrahamN, Yeah, imagine a brain surgeon saying it wasn't a bad job I was only half an inch out.
ski holidays
By the way anyone who thinks Bode is over the top needs to look at the Bus that Rhalves has, Bode's by comparrison is a campervan.

Oh and Bode apparently didn't ski drunk that was PR he simply had a beer before he raced, just the one plus 2 beers the night before, that was it.
ski holidays
GrahamN, ...but, as someone said "To finish first, first you have to finish" Exactly so. Bennie Raich skied the best - he won the race. Bode didn't. Raich is consistent and skies consitently well - it's all very well to have this touch of genius as Bode Miller does, but it should most definitely NOT be held up as the way to do it to the next generation of skiers. No-one else can ski like him, so encourage the youngsters to revere the guys who are consistently excellent not excellently inconsistent!

I don't give a monkeys about the press stuff, only about the influence on the kids coming up.
snow report
easiski, I've heard it said that there is a positive aspect to Bode's influence though. Trainers realise that unorthodoxy doesn't equate to second-rate, production line technique isn't always the way to the top step of the podium, even if it will produce most winners most of the time.

And of course a lot more kids have heard about alpine racing than would otherwise have done so, had Bode not been around.
latest report
easiski, ...oops Shocked Wink

(re about 2 mins ago)
latest report
PG, Well, if the trainer wasn't prepared to adapt his/her training methods, then they shouldn't be in the job (IMO). You always have to adapt, and use what's there, and get the kids to use whatever they have to help them - but some of Bode's turns are horriffic!

I'm not convinced about him actually introducing people (kids or adults) to ski racing - he's livened things up, no doubt about it, but there have been other heros in the past as well, and no doubt will be in the future. Remember Franz Klammer - very unorthodox!
ski holidays
Who cares ?
snow conditions
Quote:

He's blown it. Watch Turin

Slalom - DNF. Super G - DNF. Combined - DSQ. DH - 5th. GS - 6th.

Ok, so a 5th and a 6th by most standards is respectable and, even though he says medals don't matter, it's a disappointment. Do you think all the pre-Olympics shenanigans are to blame or is he simply not quite as good as we all thought.
snow report
JohnHill, his performance in the Games was not as good as his current standings in the World Cup, but that can be said of many of the Alpine racers, Rocca for instance. Should we blame shenanigans or over-inflated opinions about performance on their "failure" to live up to expectations?
latest report
rob@rar.org.uk, as usual the media is fueling the fire. The darling of the press last year, overall World Cup champion, only the second (?) person ever to win a WC event in each of the five disciplines in the same season, is now the lowest of the low Confused

Ok he invites criticism, but I wonder if he simply wasn't able to handle the extra mental pressure - that could well have been the main contributory factor to his loss of form this year.

That's what did for Rocca, I reckon, the weight of all that Italian expectation, especially in the slalom when they still had zero Alpine medals.
snow report
PG. The media fuelling the fire? The press are reporting what his bosses are saying:
Quote:
Jim Scherr, CEO of the USOC [US Olympic Committe], said the team had "taken a little bit of a hit with its comportment of high-profile athletes."

"If they're not taking the Games seriously, that's where we draw the line," Scherr said. "In Bode's case, we thought he could get focused."

Source: New York Daily News

What are Bode Miller's fellow athletes saying? What are the public saying?
ski holidays
David Goldsmith, yes, I think that the media - in its use of language, the extravagance of the headlines - is fuelling the fire.

These are just some of many headlines over the past few days:

Only medal for Bode is Fool's Gold ... Bode Finishes As Real Zero ... Miller living the high life ... Miller falls to new low as 'ugly American' ... Mouthy skier hides following last debacle ... Bode exits in a blaze of nothing ...

All the articles are linked to here.

I too would be interested in what his fellow athletes are saying. However few have made their views known in public. You can hardly blame them really.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Goldsmith, some pretty pointed opinion in that article. Well written, bit harsh but overall I agree (especially if its all true). Be v interesting to see how he handles all the criticism and the remaining few weeks of world cup.
snow report
Acccording to Ski Racing he's pulled out of the next four World Cup events (slaloms and GSs in Japan and South Korea):
http://www.skiracing.com/news/news_display.php/3562/ALPINE/newsArticles/
latest report
I believe Bode is what he is. If you want to make him more controversial than he already is, I suspect he does not care. Of course the americans are upset with his behavior, especially the "grown-ups". If you're really curious to find out what makes him tick, I suggest you become an expert in Quantum Theory, i.e., "Arenius' Theory of Angels"....and you'll still fail. He comes from the state of New Hampshire who's motto is "Live Free or Die". There are plenty of Bodes there; their just not as famous. He just bought 260 acres near his parents and will be very happy to retire as a local potato farmer.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy