Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Eurotest training: You'll be a man, my son (a woman my daughter)

Poster: A snowHead
For me, for coaching to work the trainee needs to have a good mental model of what they are trying to do, they basically teach themselves and the coach just provides guidance. I think the Eurotest provides the push to get instructor trainees to learn how to be able to be coached, from watching them do Test Technique and Eurotest training a lot of them don't have this skill when they start.

Maybe someone could devise an alternative way to get prospective L4s to be able to demonstrate that they have got to the point where they can teach themselves, I'm not sure how well this would work without the feedback of an objective test such as a time limit though.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@SkiPresto,

And you totally missed the point I made first.

Did you see your name to the one re Williams coaching ? NO !

It was a reply to other comments re coaching, but maybe this is the point you are missing with your stance on what in reality is ski racing not ski instruction is this what you want in an instructor someone who does not grasp what the person they are trying to help is saying or needing ?

I note though you deemed it not relevant to answer properly the second post which was directed to you.

So please explain why an instructor should need the mental toughness of a racer? Put that into context of teaching a very good intermediate or lower level advanced ( probably a 7 on the inside out video's). You have clearly identified instructing is not coaching and personally I believe that from a level 8 on the IOS ( inside out ) they would do well to start looking for a coach to work with anyway.

Just remember the vast majority of lessons will be delivered to skiers below this std. Most instructors working within a ski school will be teaching beginners upto 3-4 year skiers.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dave of the Marmottes wrote
"
Quote:
The start of this thread was evidence of the self regarding macho BS that seems to surround the ET "
Well, you say that. You may even be an expert about BS. I don't know who you are.

But the intention was: a semi humorous reference to "If".

"If you can fill the unforgiving minute With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it, etc..."
In fact Kipling fills the rest of his poem to a son with wonderful, inspirational imagery.
See link
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@speed098
You have written a couple of posts there, apparently addressed to me.
I'll have a read of them when I've got more time.
I don't promise to be able to help you with an answer, though.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SkiPresto wrote:
@Robrar
There are BASI modules for Technical, Teaching and Coaching.
Thanks, although I'm very aware of the different modules Happy

SkiPresto wrote:
I find it useful to know the difference in the roles.
Quote:
Defining it as a simple comparison of who is 'best' at a particular skill set seems, to me at least, to miss the point
Well you made that definition of missing the point not I.
It's certainly not my definition, so when you wrote this
SkiPresto wrote:
My rule of thumb is:
If the person leading the session is a better skier than the people bring trained, then Teaching is taking place. The leader is a teacher.
If not, and the athletes are capable of higher performance than the leader, then the leader is being a coach.
I thought it was perfectly clear what your definition was. Maybe my comprehension abilities aren't quite what they were...

I think there's a lot of semantic nonsense and unnecessary value judgements about those titles. My definition of what is coaching and what is instructing is much more about the nature of the relationship between teacher and learner, and the length of time that that relationship exists, and it's not defined by the ability of the client. Regardless of label, my intention is to help the client make the changes they want to make, so the group of L1 instructors I was working with on Saturday, the group of experienced recreational skiers I was working with yesterday or today's session with two less experienced skiers I hope will have provided the same quality of experience, but delivered in a manner suitable to their needs. I don't think it matters whether they (or I) thought of me as a coach or an instructor; to be honest I'd rather they just thought of me as Rob.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Oh I got the Kipling reference, I just thought given the overall attrition rate within BASI a certain poem by Alfred Lord Tennyson was probably more appropriate. wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well as a decent punter I joined JJC last year for some ET training and I found it transformational.

When I ran the course I was skiing to my absolute (transformed) maximum...NOBODY could have gone faster...I was on the ragged edge!

The trouble was that the coaches did not need a stop-watch to see if I was close, a Grandfather Clock would have done just as well!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
^See you back there in November?
wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Dave of the Marmottes, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Oh I got the Kipling reference, I just thought given the overall attrition rate within BASI a certain poem by Alfred Lord Tennyson was probably more appropriate. wink

Give us a clue?
Someone had blunder'd:
Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do and die:
Puzzled
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Or.

Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
Cry 'God for BASI, ESF, and Saint ET!'

NehNeh
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kipling facts:

The most interesting thing Kipling owned was not his Nobel Prize, his early motor cars despite being a non driver or his watermill. No it was his Wolverine skin rug in his study.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
He does make some exceedingly good cakes.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kipling Groove in the Lakes. Apparently it is Rudyard.

snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Not urban legends. Genuine examples. I'd hardly call an ex-Scotland Team Member "inexperienced." I've PMd you the details and if you still don't believe me what not ask @balernoStu to confirm?

racers are exempted from taking the L1 teach...that might be why
snow report
moseyp wrote:
Quote:

Not urban legends. Genuine examples. I'd hardly call an ex-Scotland Team Member "inexperienced." I've PMd you the details and if you still don't believe me what not ask @balernoStu to confirm?

racers are exempted from taking the L1 teach...that might be why

As far as I know there is no automatic exemption for anyone.
BASI considers every application for exemption on its merits.
If some people take the view that people in the British Ski Team can't pass L1 for some reason (e.g. Racers can't really ski or some such piffle) then I'm not going to have a pointless argument with them.
I would point out for the record that there is a BASI procedure to deal with exemptions and it isn't automatic.
It isn't recommended either as the candidate will quickly progress through the system and will need to understand how to train L1.
See http://www.basi.org.uk/content/exemptions.aspx
Quote:
Exemption Procedure
The Exemptions process is for those people who can provide proof of having already acquired the knowledge that is covered within a particular course.

BASI courses are carefully designed to ensure that once you have been awarded a qualification you will have the appropriate knowledge to perform your role as an instructor/coach in the market place. Therefore, please do not consider this approach as a short cut to avoid having to do a part of the qualification modules.

If you have a genuine view that you have already gained the knowledge, then this may be a course of action you could consider.
To apply for exemption you will need to:

Fully review the content of the course(s) available on the BASI website.
If you still feel that you wish to be considered for exemption from a particular course, provide (preferably by email or alternatively by fax or post) evidence (copies of original documents) of your accreditable prior learning (APL). You will also need to state your rationale as to why you wish to be considered for exemption. This APL may include qualifications (where the syllabus content is also provided) or verifiable experience (such as having participated regularly in international races –FIS points, national team status, etc.).
You will be informed of the exemption panel’s decision and providing you have given all the evidence they are likely to require, you will be given a final and fair decision to your request.
Please Note: not all qualifications from different nations are accepted as an exemption with BASI.
latest report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Kipling facts:

The most interesting thing Kipling owned was not his Nobel Prize, his early motor cars despite being a non driver or his watermill. No it was his Wolverine skin rug in his study.
Highly fortunate that Wolverine could grow a new skin quickly with his healing powers!
ski holidays
Quote:

Well as a decent punter I joined JJC last year for some ET training and I found it transformational.

rungsp - I'm curious as to what part did you found transformational?
snow report
The whole thing really @skimottaret, my skiing was almost unrecognisable after a few days.
I was much, much faster...while at the same time much more in control, I have described it a feeling much more connected to the snow.
All the coaching I got was good, but Tom Waddington's was exceptional (and lucky for me he is also The Lass's boss).
snow report
@SkiPresto, So how is the ET training going Puzzled
ski holidays
Hi Stewart Woodward
Quote:
@SkiPresto, So how is the ET training going Puzzled
Smile
Thanks for asking.
Just finished week 2.
Cloudless skies and firm snow. Ideal for training.
I'm still standing and making small improvements every day.
I can highly recommend JJC. Very laid back and everything positive.
ski holidays
Quote:

everything positive.

just wait till they get the timing gear out and we are both in for it Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Good luck also to @BalernoStu who made a last minute decision to head out to Solden for training.
snow conditions
@SkiPresto, yup. Stu posted a selfie on FB from Sölden earlier in the week.
ski holidays
Good luck to you all hope the training goes well, and enables you to pass the ET. snowHead
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
Quote:

everything positive.

just wait till they get the timing gear out and we are both in for it Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Opening a book on the performance of the over-40s?
Fait vos jeux maintenant!
snow conditions
SkiPresto wrote:

What difference does age make? According to BA*I none so you should be competing with the youngsters.
snow report
stewart woodward wrote:
SkiPresto wrote:

What difference does age make? According to BA*I none so you should be competing with the youngsters.

I've been trying that this week Stewart but the youngsters have been hammering me! Not all the faster guys are under 30 mind.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Je suis BA*
Any over 40's (not to mention 50's and 60's) out there? Come on. Mr Woodward says do it. Happy
ski holidays
There is a 47yo in Tignes right now who was matching the times of the openers in timed runs on Friday.
ski holidays
SkiPresto wrote:
I wanted to have a channel for those exhausted souls who are pushing their bodies and bank accounts to the max.

Did your mummy and daddy pay for yours?
latest report
stewart woodward wrote:
SkiPresto wrote:

How old was the oldest Brit to pass? I heard it was 46.
snow report

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 15-11-15 17:03; edited 1 time in total
latest report
rjs wrote:
There is a 47yo in Tignes right now who was matching the times of the openers in timed runs on Friday.

is he a ski instructor in training to take the ET? Is he a Brit?
snow conditions
skimottaret wrote:
@Gerry, why do you care?

What's it to you if I ask the question?
snow conditions
skimottaret wrote:
rjs wrote:

is he a ski instructor in training to take the ET? Is he a Brit?

If it's who I think it is, yes and yes.
ski holidays
skimottaret, He is doing ET training. He is from the US but lives now in France.
ski holidays
is he an instructor who must pass the ET as part of his exams or just race training?
latest report
The oldies had a rough day today in training, couple of big crashes. First me and then @skipresto who really had his bell rung. Doctors office and he doesn't remember much, ouch... AND it was fecking freezing -24 or so....
ski holidays
@skimottaret, bloody hell, all the best to SkiPresto. You OK?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy