Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Frame touring bindings for tiny feet

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Mrs M is looking at getting more into touring and getting out of her Alpine Boot/Marker Tour binding and into a dedicated touring boot. As she has tiny feet, advice has suggested a boot that will has a BSL of 248. All the Frame style touring bindings that I have looked at only go as small as 260 - (Marker, Diamir, Salomon) - anyone have any ideas or will it have to be a pin type binding?

In which case, whats the feeling on intermediates skiing on dynafit type bindings and release values ( again Mrs M's on a DIN setting of 5). I think I m looking at the new Dynafit Radical 2.0 ST.

Any thoughts most welcome!

(And yes I am a customer of Snowheads finest Bootfitter and finest Ski Technician but I thought I would ask the collective 1st...)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I used to have some Secura-Fix adapters (like Alpine Trekkers) that went very small - Mondo 23.0 to 26.0 IIRC. You might find some on ebay.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
altis wrote:
I used to have some Secura-Fix adapters (like Alpine Trekkers) that went very small - Mondo 23.0 to 26.0 IIRC. You might find some on ebay.

Thanks - They are shell size 22!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You can still buy the Silvretta Pure binding new and you can shorten this binding using the Wildsnow instructions if it is not short enough. The Silvretta Pure Kids would be even better if you can find them.

Otherwise can't see the issue with using Tech bindings, what was worrying you? Maybe use Vipecs if you have some concerns about toe release. You can buy these under 300 euros at the mo.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The new Radicals should be fine as they have some release elasticity in the toe piece. It's just a matter of getting used to them, getting the vertical and lateral release values dialed in correctly and making sure there's no ice or hard packed snow under the arms in the toe piece. Skinning will become way more enjoyable. I use the previous model of the Radical for everything.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I m very happy with Dynafit - It's more Mrs who is a less strong skier and has had some old Knee issues, including an ACL etc. will probably end up on Dynafit, just wanted to hear some other views first. Will try and find the Silvretta s and see what they look like.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Take a look at the Pures. Skalp (http://www.skalp.fr/) have them at 199 euro in medium adult size. There is an article on wildsnow on how to shorten them, basically you cut down the rails then re-epoxy them in place. I've skied with them, perfectly acceptable, lightweight, binding and a brake is available. Pity they don't make the Kids version anymore as it filled a valuable, if small, gap.

As for tech bindings, the Dynafit Speed turn is fine.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Personally, I wouldn't buy the first production year of any ski touring equipment. Especially something that might break in the middle of nowhere. I'd wait for others to guinea pig the kit.

That said, I can see the case for the rotating toepiece. I'm on older vertical STs. The main difference is that I hold myself back a little involuntarily as I know the release won't be as clean when I inevitably bin it. I'm probably just worrying unjustifiably.

I'd go trekkers and then pin binding in the sale.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have now discovered that the boot in question (Atomic Backland) isn't compatible with any frame binding away so that sorts that out!!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
gorilla wrote:
Personally, I wouldn't buy the first production year of any ski touring equipment. Especially something that might break in the middle of nowhere. I'd wait for others to guinea pig the kit.

That said, I can see the case for the rotating toepiece. I'm on older vertical STs. The main difference is that I hold myself back a little involuntarily as I know the release won't be as clean when I inevitably bin it. I'm probably just worrying unjustifiably.

I'd go trekkers and then pin binding in the sale.

But I ve used the toe piece for a season already in the Beast 14 and its great. The heel I think is essentially the same as the Mark 1. No long tours planned anyway, just day stuff off the back of the resort. Now have to pick the skis...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mishmash wrote:
I have now discovered that the boot in question (Atomic Backland) isn't compatible with any frame binding anyway so that sorts that out!!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yer, you keep saying that but I don't see why. That boot has normal-ish lugs so it should work. Okay, you can't put it in an alpine binding but I don't see why it wouldn't work in a touring binding with a good height adjustment.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Got told this by Solutions For feet today. Its the heel not the toe piece. Looking at the boot there is hardly any lugs at all, just the tech binding insert.

I don't keep saying it -said it once, only found out today !
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy