Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Season kit List

Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

I am about to take part in a ski season and was trying to come up with a list of things I would need to take with me. for example how many of things I should take. e.g. thermals, socks ect...

Any help would be appreciated!

Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@KR1996, welcome to Snowhead. Depends to an extent how often you will be doing the washing. I go for about 8 pairs of socks, 2 or 3 sets of thermals and mid layers (different weights). Important to remember too that the weather is likely to be very different in December and January to mid April. You need stuff that will cope with all conditions. Layering is your friend Happy Good luck!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you. Do you think that 1 set of salopets and jacket would be enough?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would say yes, though after last year I may take some lighter trousers for the tail end of the season.

Are you going to be skiing off piste/glaciers/touring.

To be honest I take pretty much the same stuff I'd take for a one or two week trip; maybe a few more spare base layers/socks.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Best bet are good quality shell trousers and jacket. Wear with warm thermals and mid layer in the cold months and when it gets warm you can get away with just a thin top underneath.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@KR1996, much depends on how easy access you have to a washing machine and tumble dryer. ski jackets and trousers (shells best as suggested) etc. can all be done of an evening as long as you have the dryer.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It will depend if you are doing a season just skiing, working for a tour op or somewhere in between. One evening in la fd could leave your kit soaked in champagne and ruined.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Don't forget to pack a pair or two of shorts for end of season. Plenty of my co-workers in my first season laughed at me when I said I'd packed a pair. I was the one laughing come April when resort temperatures were nice and warm and I was sitting enjoying a beer on a sun terrace in shorts!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
+ 1 on shell trousers/jacket. More than one pair of gloves.

Decent kitchen knives and steel. I cannot stress how important good quality cooking equipment is, irrespective of whether or not you are working.

Good quality down jacket. My 8 year old Rab Neutrino has been through hell and still does the job.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The last thing you want to need to do on a powder day is your washing.

for me I need fresh ski socks and underwear daily, but now no-one's smoking I can usually make casual/evening clothes do two evenings. Thermal tops do two days, longjohns 3-4.

You'll want a bit of redundancy.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
oh, and as mentioned above, to the extent of shorts and t-shirts (sunbathing kit too) what you're wearin in January (hopefully not swimwear) won't be what you're wearing in April.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Good waterproof boots ie goretex walking boots. When the snow is deep anything else will get very wet and take days to dry.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Merino wool base layers can reduce time spent at the launderette!

For living multisocket adaptors/gang plugs..
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've bought a couple of French style USB charger plugs for phone, tablet, etc on Amazon. Saves a few adapters Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@marcellus, @Claude B, take a UK multi socket with a long cable and fit a euro plug (assuming euro season)?
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@marcellus, @Claude B, take a UK multi socket with a long cable and fit a euro plug (assuming euro season)?

That's a better way of saying what i was trying to describe
ski holidays
A good stock of Ibuprofen and cold/flu remedies. Cant always buy them in the supermarket like in UK. Chemist normally shut when you need them and when they are open they cost a lot more.
ski holidays
@googiew, having said that, if in France and it really is 'flu, the GP will prescribe you all sorts of stuff to keep you on your feet for transfer and client first day, though you're useless the day(s) after. (That said, my experience was quite a few years ago and all that stuff is probably illegal now...)

You can also buy at the airport quite a useful dual UK socket Euro power block.

+1 for extra gloves. And a couple of pair of silk liners if your hands get at all cold.

PS @KR1996, no-one wears salopettes any more... at least, no one of any sufficient chilledness refers to them like that.
snow report
I bought a pair of spring gloves for last season which I was very pleased to have. Actually rather sick park gloves wink
snow conditions
Thought of another one; a good selection of footwear for differnet uses.............. slippers/trainers for around chalet, everyday/driving boots, cold weather boots, wellie boots for the thaw!
ski holidays
Must confess that I spent most of my non ski time in Timberlands, notwithstanding the fact that their grip on ice is pathetic.
latest report
Flip flops for late season. Hip flask. Skate shoes do well in snow in and ice. Hard drive stocked with films and TV series. Stock up on paracetamol and lemsip as it's much cheaper in the UK. Goggles with swappable lenses. Duck tape. Head torch.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
Must confess that I spent most of my non ski time in Timberlands, notwithstanding the fact that their grip on ice is pathetic.

Timberlands were my everyday/driving boot but then the Sorels were a league apart when it was cold and I was either shovelling snow or standing at the bottom of the piste waiting to pick clients up!
snow conditions
@clarky999, ibuprofen far better than paracetamol. In almost all regards, especially as it doesn't challenge your liver nor your soul when you've just been chucked and are moping around listening to Morrissey on your own.
ski holidays
Depends a bit on how much you can take out in your luggage allowance, and what type of accommodation you'll be staying in.

Going out in my car and staying in my own studio, I'd take way more than coaching out with a TO and sharing 4 to a room.
ski holidays
boot dryers to dry out boots everyday & heaters if you get cold feet.
latest report
Quote:

ibuprofen far better than paracetamol. In almost all regards, especially as it doesn't challenge your liver nor your soul when you've just been chucked and are moping around listening to Morrissey on your own.

I saw you mention chucked and thought of this @under a new name, Ski season classic photo, my lad is in there some where
Very Happy
latest report
Depending on what you are doing out there, a few fun bits that can be put to good use for fancy dress parties.
Mince pies.
Marmite.
European health insurance card (EHIC).
Handy multitool.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy