Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ladies skis

Poster: A snowHead
So I'm looking at getting some skis for the girlfriend for christmas in a bid to get her to the mountains more often snowHead
So my question is, can anyone recommend a good set of skis?

She is a good skier (capable of doing pretty much anything but the hairiest of blacks) but lacks a bit of confidence after breaking her arm falling over, snowboarding of all things.
Height wise I would say she is about 5'5 and I'm not even going to get on weight but about 50 - 60kg

As for my budget it's pretty limited as I don't want to spend a pretty penny on some decent skis and for her not to use them, so I'm probably looking at just a good second hand pair.
Ideally we would just rent skis for her, but she has been harping on about a set for a while so if the right ones come up I may just take the bait.

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Depending on what happens at the ski test in Hemel this weekend, I may be able to offer you my wifes Volkl Fuegos at very reasonable rates... wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can you get her to one of the ski tests this weekend? Other people's opinions are no substitute for trying them out yourself...

You might just still manage to pick up a pair of last year's colours on sale, so have a look what's available. Are you looking for a pure piste ski or something fatter?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Richard_Sideways, I like the sound of this. Very Happy Keep me posted on what happens.

@Scarlet, I was trying to do that as I desperately want to convince myself its okay to buy a new pair for myself, but it's her mums birthday party and I'm not entirely sure what she is doing so currently in limbo as to if we can make it. Saying that last year there was one at Milton Keynes, not sure if anyones has heard of a planned test there yet?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Dzmarc,
Quote:

As for my budget it's pretty limited as I don't want to spend a pretty penny on some decent skis and for her not to use them,

Your girlfriend will need to get on some skis and test them --- so you can have an idea of what to aim at wink

Just buying a set of "good" skis which she may not get on with does not come without risk...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Dzmarc wrote:
So I'm looking at getting some skis for the girlfriend for christmas in a bid to get her to the mountains more often snowHead
So my question is, can anyone recommend a good set of skis?

She is a good skier (capable of doing pretty much anything but the hairiest of blacks) but lacks a bit of confidence after breaking her arm falling over, snowboarding of all things.
Height wise I would say she is about 5'5 and I'm not even going to get on weight but about 50 - 60kg

As for my budget it's pretty limited as I don't want to spend a pretty penny on some decent skis and for her not to use them, so I'm probably looking at just a good second hand pair.
Ideally we would just rent skis for her, but she has been harping on about a set for a while so if the right ones come up I may just take the bait.

Thanks

My perspective is obviously biased by my knee injuries..... But I have just changed my bindings on my skis (only bought in March) to knee bindings which have a lateral release at the heal to reduce likelihood of wrecking the ACL (I have half of a reconstructed ACL left on one of my knees). However it is one of those things that if I knew 11yrs ago what I know now (and they were available then!) I would have bought my own skis a LOT sooner and bought those bindings and I might actually still be able to play hockey and not have knee which I have been told the next time I do something to it I will need a complete knee replacement.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ski wrote:

Just buying a set of "good" skis which she may not get on with does not come without risk...

I agree. I've tested loads of skis – some of the most highly regarded and recommended I did not get on with at all, and others which on paper don't fit the criteria, are my favourites!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@NickyJ, is there much evidence (studies, papers) that the Knee binding has a protective effect?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ski, @Scarlet, Totally agree with you, and although I got lucky with the very first pair of skis I brought, I wouldn't go out on a whim and purchase like that again; which sounds quite ironic, since I would for her. However I see it more as a way for her to want to go more regularly, which would obviously make me one happy man with multiple trips.

If she has a pair, then I'm hoping she will want to get out more, even to the snow domes, were as currently we hire and she's not really fussed and it can require some nagging on my behalf. Then when we can go more regularly together we would get her a proper pair which she actually try out and wants.

Probably won't happen like that, but I can try. Little Angel
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name wrote:
@NickyJ, is there much evidence (studies, papers) that the Knee binding has a protective effect?

Certainly the insurers seem to like them as they have now insisted on the Vale (I believe) instructors having them, in an attempt to reduce the amount they are paying out on ACL injury claims.

It certainly makes a lot of sense and I can't see it hurting to go for these rather than normal one which only release in the one direction on the rear.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I don't want drift the thread overmuch ... it's a nice concept but I feel that the website is a bit overdone - long on hype and anecdote and short on evidence...

But you know, if you are worried and have an already unstable joint, and you need bindings (which pretty much should last the average holiday skier forever), well, why not?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@under a new name, that's the thing my knee is unstable due to only having half an ACL so for me it is a no brainer. I had been a little concerned by that same hype looking aspect however when I got a chance to really examine them in the flesh at the piste office I was sold as there is no down side that I can see to going with them and increasing your escape angles strikes me as only sensible? Hence wh suggesting if you are considering getting new skis highlighting that it was worth looking at getting them with that style of bindings.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Would agree that you won't really know until you've tested them out yourself. Boyfriend recommended me a few pairs, and the sales rep in Ellis Brigham picked out "the most suitable for me" to demo, neither of which I liked using. boyfriend mocked me for wanting to try the pretty pink ones, that were just a wee bit too advanced for me, but they were actually the perfect pair (salomon q98 lux's). I've grown into them and they suit my skiing style perfect. If you're near one of the Indoor fridges, I recommend taking her and getting her to try a few!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I would also suggest that "wimmins" skis are a marketing gimmick...unless you really care whether they match your boots/trousers/underwear, whatever.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@under a new name, indeed, although some of us who aren't very big need to make use of the shorter lengths not often offered in "unisex" models.
ski holidays
@under a new name, agreed! I'm hoping to put the theory to the test this weekend, as apparently Dynastar are bringing both Cham 2.0 'men's' and 'women's' versions Twisted Evil

I'm a women, but only 1 of my 3 pairs are 'women's' skis (Scott Lunas - and I love and adore them, just bought my second pair) - I've never had any problem handling 'men's' or unisex skis. Though I am pretty tall (1m72).
snow conditions
@fixx, yup, I have "men's skis" but then I'm a hefty weightlifter. Lots of women are much lighter than me and the skis that are short/light enough for them tend to get branded as "women's"
ski holidays
@Dzmarc,

I'm looking to sell my Scott Mayas (155s) if you (or anyone else) are interested...
snow report
@Dzmarc, I have 2 pairs of K2 Burnin Luvs to sell, both quite old but the 2009 pair used very lightly and plenty of life left in them. Bindings are on rails so easily adjusted to boot length

2008 model length 153 like this pair http://www.amazon.com/K2-BURNIN-LUV-ALPINE-SKIS/dp/B000IOP0XK?tag=amz07b-21 £50
2009 model length 156 like this pair http://www.freeride.co.uk/gear/skis/2009/k2/burning-luv.html £75

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 7-10-15 21:13; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I like wearing my wife's skis .. but don't tell her.
ski holidays
@fixx, the skis don't know how tall you are...

Nor for girls how big your bum is/n't
latest report
I loved my old Dynastar Legend Idylls. They had a 78 waist so were good for carving but coped with boot deep fresh snow or slush very well. Great all-round skis - just a bit chattery at high speed.

The new range of Dynastar skis sounds excellent, the closest ones to my old pair would be the Glory 79. Worth demoing if she can.

The Head Joy series also gets great reviews and they are super light. Have a look at the the Total Joy (74 waist carvers) or Absolut Joy (79 waist).

I've just bought the 2016 Rossignol Temptation 80 without demoing, as all the reviews rave about them. My mate has last season's 84s and loves them. Very easy to turn thanks to tip and tail rocker, but great edge grip and enough waist to cope well with fresh snow and crud on piste.

I would have loved Volkl Charismas, but they're SO expensive. Volkls tend to be known for their edge grip on hard snow.

I find men's skis only tend to come in longer lengths for obvious reasons, and are generally heavier than women's skis as well. I tried a pair of men's Head Supershape something-or-other's last year. They weighed an absolute TON and killed my legs.

I know it's best to demo, but if not just do as much research as you can.
snow conditions
@HoneyBunny, horses for courses... I have the Head Titans and LOVE them, I don't find them heavy to ski at all, they just glide! I don't even have them in the shortest available length. I am 165cm/60kg and also ski men's/unisex skis. Light has always seemed to equate to 'flappy' for me.
latest report
@Maireadoconnor, Happy Birthday!
latest report
@HoneyBunny, how can something that's weight is fully supported by the surface you're standing on kill your legs?? It's not the weight of the ski that's the problem...
snow conditions
@Gämsbock, thanks! Happy

I shall NOT be buying myself any skis at the ski testing as a birthday present. No no no no no.
snow report
@Gämsbock, surely it's about the stiffness, not the weight which equals flappy? The Head Joy line is very light - but I've never heard them described as flappy or soft.

@under a new name, I don't know, they just did. I felt like I was hauling them round the mountain. They were the heaviest skis I've ever tried and I could feel the difference.

Anyway, horses for courses as you say, I can only give my opinion, it's not right or wrong.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy