Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Liftie and Operating Company on trial for death of 14 year old (Age Corrected)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We're constantly talking about rucksacks here but what about the current fashion to have the straps of salopettes hanging out at the back. It surprises me that there aren't accidents with this as well.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@bertie bassett, Yes probably more likely on those older seats but I've seen someone dragged around by the more modern chairs. I think they had a strap got caught in the safety bar mechanism.

And I'm sorry but unless you have gone to great pains and/or your sack is completely full it will have dangling straps. I know people who say to me 'oh I always tuck them away' but those same people typically do not tuck them back away after whipping the sack off to grab a warmer hat or whatever or after taking a bit of a tumble that has loosened those straps.

I do mainly off-piste and ski mountaineering and I always carry a sack (even if I'm not planning to ski off-piste I may well change my mind and so need all my av stuff). I have now got into the habit of swinging my sack to the front for EVERY chair lift. It only takes seconds and a few more to get sorted at the other end. Seems just plain silly to me to not do it.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@MadMountainMan, Myself and MrsS also always wear rucsacs - and the only time either of has ever had an issue is when she had swung hers around to the front on one of the old 2 man chairs in Cervinia. A dangling strap, that would not have been dangling in normal wear, caught as she tried to dismount. She managed to disentangle herself and dropped off as the chair started to go back down the hill, where the liftie stopped it retrieved her sac. I personally have no doubt that rucsacs swung around the front are more dangerous than when worn properly.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Having more recently started to wear a backpack whilst skiing (for the necessaries to keep two littlies on the slopes) I have never seen a sign saying not to wear them on the lifts nor been told to remove it, but that maybe a result of skiing in NZ for the last few years.

Certainly had a close call with a loose buckle slipping down between the slats and nearly getting caught so had then made sure all were out of the way and could feel sitting a bit to far forward than should have been. But never having thought of consequences this severe will certainly move it around to the front in future, asked/signage or not.

Does anyone know if it was a chest strap that then caused the strangulation?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ster wrote:
Does anyone know if it was a chest strap that then caused the strangulation?

Interesting point. I could certainly see how a chest strap could cause that when suspended by the sack.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ster wrote:
I have never seen a sign saying not to wear them on the lifts nor been told to remove it, but that maybe a result of skiing in NZ for the last few years.

After first hearing about this story I made a bit more of an effort to keep an eye out for them, and on my two trips earlier in the year (3V and La Plagne) saw them on most lifts. Despite this I never once got questioned or told that I shouldn't wear my bag.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Another reason to feed my irrational fear of chairlifts versus ski tows. Sad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Blimey, hadn't realised the danger, I don't ski with one but always mountain bike with one in the alps and it's an onld camelback with straps dangling everywhere. In 7 times biking in France I've only been told once to take it off.

I now won't need to be asked..!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Liftie found guilty. Company cleared.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-34841450

6 month suspended sentence.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Peter S wrote:
Another reason to feed my irrational fear of chairlifts versus ski tows. Sad

I'm the same with drag lifts...keep waiting for the thing to snap, spring back and smack me in the head with great force Sad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy