Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anybody in Whistler this season?

Poster: A snowHead
Boss has ok'ed the "career break", so I'm off to Whistler in a couple of weeks until May. Sorted!

I have spoken to a couple of people on these forums already, but was wondering if there are any other fellow snowheads to bump into.

Before I end up completely broke, I am after a bit of advice from the general collective.

I'm going out on Fly Zoom airlines. Anyone have any knowledge of what I can get away with in the "ski bag" without it costing me?

I'm just trying to sort out the pesky working permit stuff at the moment so I can try to fund part of it and get some local experiance whilst doing the CSIA/CSCF courses.

Has anyone else been through all this application stuff? I'm using BUNAC, and it seems I may well need to make a "day trip" out of Canada to say seattle to then re-enter to present the working permit papers when they finally come through.

It also seems many of the jobs need a police (CRB in uk?) "this person is not a criminal, (or if he is we have never nabbed him for anything) " letter. Would the CRB check eg for ski instuctors through snowsport england do the job?

Finally, does anyone know the best (read reasonable cover but cheap) insurance to cover long terms stays? My annual snowcard only covers me for the 1st 31 days. Best I have so is £155 with AUL.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 22-12-05 20:39; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
paulhothersall, you lucky bug.

Can't help much with any answers, but have a good, er, season snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Likewise I can;t answer any of those questions, but good luck and wil see you out there - we fly out BA on 25th feb for two weeks. One of my mates is out for the season and I think he's already arranged to meet up with stuarth from this 'ere forum.

We *were* considering the career break thing but given that we've entirely failed to sell our house it's a bloody good thing we decided not to risk it just yet!

Maybe next year, eh?

We'll be staying up at this place

http://www.whistlerbb.com

which I can highly recommend for shortish stays, probalby a bit expensive long term. Are you sorted for accomodation? can recommend some places to try if you still need to sort yourself out.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'll be there with a friend, arriving 3rd February, skiing 6 days before moving on. Middle 2 days skiing with Extremely Canadian. Otherwise playing it by ear.
We ski at about SCGB Gold standard. I've never been to Canada before. How about you?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Of to Whistler 3rd Jan.

Looks like timing will be good with snow forecast ( http://www.theweathernetwork.com/features/Attractions/Pages/CABC0780.htm ) for next few days and 10 inches on past 2 days.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snowball wrote:
I'll be there with a friend, arriving 3rd February, skiing 6 days before moving on. Middle 2 days skiing with Extremely Canadian. Otherwise playing it by ear.
We ski at about SCGB Gold standard. I've never been to Canada before. How about you?

no idea what SCGB Gold standard is. Is that drinking the resort rep under the table during an evening or leaving them in the snow dust trails behind you on the piste?

Never been before, and only a week to go now, woohoo!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Anybody flown with BA from Heathrow to Vancouver?

The BA site says:

Snow ski equipment
You may take:
One pair of skis and ski poles or a snowboard or a monoski
One pair of bindings and boots

If you are on a flight where the baggage weight allowance applies:
The equipment is included in the baggage allowance
Normal excess baggage charges apply

If you are on a flight where the baggage piece allowance applies:
The equipment is carried as one piece of baggage
Normal excess baggage rates apply

Now we're on a piece allowance flight and my reading of the above info is that the skis AND the boots combined count as one piece of baggage.

Can anybody confirm that even though these will be seperate pieces they count as one. Reason I'm checking is that an extra piece of baggage carries excess charge of £90 EACH WAY!!!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Flown BA before and they always count ski bag and boot bag as one piece of luggage
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cheers, I thought that was the case (sic). Just had images of trying to get helmet, boots and clothes in a case.

Only a week now and can't wait after looking at images for this week.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Is it work sending your skis and boots ahead of you as luggage? Excess Baggage (excess-baggage.com) send air freight to Vancouver for £3.79 per kg for 25kgs. Makes it £95 quid or thereabouts. Worth thinking about if you're relocating for a long period, I reckon.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
paulhothersall wrote:
snowball wrote:

no idea what SCGB Gold standard is. Is that drinking the resort rep under the table during an evening or leaving them in the snow dust trails behind you on the piste?

In our case we ski mostly off-piste and enjoy the steep and deep. Any inside knowledge of good lines (and good places to eat) would be welcome.
Of course the occasional steeper piste is fun too, and the occasional drink, but I'd be no good at drinking anyone under the table.

Of course, even if our sort of skiing doesn't sound like your thing, it would be fun to meet another snowhead!

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sat 7-01-06 1:36; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
magriggs wrote:
Is it work sending your skis and boots ahead of you as luggage? Excess Baggage (excess-baggage.com) send air freight to Vancouver for £3.79 per kg for 25kgs. Makes it £95 quid or thereabouts. Worth thinking about if you're relocating for a long period, I reckon.

Mr flyzoom FAQ says 2 bags, total 20Kg with £5 per kilo. I reckon I am about 9kg over, and that is without skis! Cyptically they have a "one sporting item carried free". I am hoping (although likely kidding myself) that I can squeeze 30Kg of skis, boots and a king wing in one ski bag as "one sporting item". I'll let you know how many 100's it really cost later. check-in in 3 hours.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
paulhothersall, Me and Mr Geetee are off on the 23rd for 3 months and stuarth is flying out today. Me and Mr Geetee are planning on doing lots of DM's so if you're there then we'll probably bump into you (though hopefully not literally Razz ) We've also got some other friends doing the season as well so there will be plenty of folks out there but not all snowHead 's

I'm really excited today as I've been in contact with some old family friends who do mountain hosting at Silver Star so it looks like we might be having a skiing holiday on our skiing holiday Smile The next thing is working out the best way of getting there - maybe I should post a question!

See you in Whistler!
(18 sleeps)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
HI paulhothersall, just got back from Whister at the weekend, had a great 2 weeks there.

The first week the freezing level rose so we had rain in the village and lower mountain, but up high was still ok. The second week the level fell, thankfully, and we were skiing good powder and the base was building nicely. You'll have a great time.

I will be back out Feb 23rd, maybe catch you then.

By the way, do be careful of bumping in to other Snoheads, that darn STUARTH takes it a little too literally wink

Re BUNAC, i have friends out there on that this season, and it is working well for them. Also, because of teh slow start to teh season and lack of staff, i hear there are plenty of "under the table" jobs about. But of course, you didnt hear that from me.

49 sleeps snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Robbie, yes you should make sure you and Stuart have a bit of space next time - maybe you on Whistler and him on Blackcomb Razz
snow conditions
tee hee hee.

Laughing
ski holidays
geetee, who do you know at the Star? We know most of the hosts there, so odds on we know them too! Small world.

I don't know an easy way from Whistler to Silver Star without having a car. You could do it with Greyhound - but that's via Vancouver and takes forever. Or back to Vancouver, and then fly over to Kelowna. There are interresort transfers from Whistler to Sun Peaks, and from Sun Peaks to Silver Star though, so perhaps you could do it that way with a stop off in Sun Peaks too?
snow conditions
Do you know Davie and Mhairi?
snow report
Okanagan, sorry - should have put your id against that last post Embarassed
snow report
Okanagan, By the way, thanks for the info. That's what I had found out so far. I knew about the shuttle via Sun Peaks but because of the times we'd have to stay in SP for at least one night each way. We have a 2 year old so I'd rather have as little disruption for her as possible which is why I'm thinking that driving is probably the best option. I don't fancy the idea of the bus either because of that! And flying would still involve 2 - 3 hours to YVR from Whistler. I've posted on Epicski as well to see if anyone has advice/useful info but feel free to bombard me with what you know. Any info on SS is gratefully received. I've already been looking through the website but I'd love some personal info too.
ski holidays
geetee wrote:
Do you know Davie and Mhairi?

Yep. I kind of guessed that they might be who you meant!
ski holidays
Okanagan, It is a small world, isn't it?! Do you know them well? They were climbing friends of my parents who helped setup a climbing club called the Langside (or the Langy) in Glasgow.
ski holidays
geetee - we've known them for about 8 years, ever since we first skied at Silver Star. Get David to show you the pictures of skiing in India, with ponies as the "lift" if you get the chance.
snow report
Okanagan, Laughing he's a bit of a legend in our family and one of my mum's favourites is Davie playing footie with the penguins when he went to Antartica
latest report
geetee, yes have seen some of those Antarctic pics too. He's one of those rare people whose life story would make a great book - I know Mhairi's talked about doing one (it's one of the reasons they originally bought a PC) but I don't know if it'll ever happen.

Saw your epicski post too - we've used the daycare at Silver Star since Okanagan junior was only 5 months old and never had any problems with them. Two rooms on the daycare (rather than skischool) side - one for under twos, and one for toddlers. Usually very quiet midweek - have known staffing ratios to be 1:1 at times - and despite the number of kids they must see over the course of a season, the staff somehow manage to remember ours from one season to the next.

Feel free to PM me if you want any more specific info - although to be honest in David and Mhairi you'll have the best guides going, so anything we can tell you will probably pale into insignificance in comparison.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 6-01-06 15:18; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Okanagan, Thanks and I'll take up your kind offer of PM-ing if that's ok.
snow report
day one on the hill and met Stuarth already!

just got my internet working out here now, and back online for snowheads.
snow conditions
keep us update, paul Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nbt wrote:
keep us update, paul Smile

seem to have managed most of the bars in town already! We had a seasonaires party last night for the (50?) people out with the company I booked with.

Met up with the local ski club, and went to have a beer with them. Then a meeting about a childrens race in april with them, which involved wine/beers. I get the impression this is not the resort for a recovering alcoholics.

Watched some freeride "dudes" do some rails in the slush in tonights comp in the village, and have an awesome 10oz steak for $10 in merlins.

Masters GS training first thing in the morning, although i haven't unpacked those skis yet, and have had a "few" beers already
Confused Confused Confused
ski holidays
paulhothersall wrote:
...... I get the impression this is not the resort for a recovering alcoholics.....

Keep an eye out for Charles Kennedy, he's plenty of time on his hands at the moment Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy