Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whats cool? MoJos inside or outside your pants?

Poster: A snowHead
This is finally my season to go Mojo.
I tried them and found them a great help at the End of Season Bash in April.

But this year I'm going to bite the bullet and get a set of my own.

Apparently Martin the "MoJo man" is going to be at the Hemmel Fridge test evening next Saturday, so I can get kitted out there.

But the question is ...
Do we stay sneaky about using Mojo's ... keeping our ski improvement secret safe in the closet
or
Is it cool to "Go Commando" with them and wear them on the outside of your ski pants?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@DrLawn, it would be next to impossible to wear them outside your ski pants.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mojo on the inside, underpants on the outside and make sure you don't catch your cape on the chairlift.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi @holidayloverxx, are you certain about that, or is it a demo set, I've tried on?
Do you use them yourself? or would you tell if you did?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@rob@rar ... ah yes! I can just imagine that!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi @holidayloverxx I just noticed the Flachau link!
The last time I was out that way I was staying in St Viet, great time.
It was about 1984 and there was a guy called Ziggi who owned the local ski school and believed he owned the whole mountain.
He gave me a rollikin for instructing on his mountain.
I never felt so chuffed ... I wasnt instructing .. just skiing with my mates. (I could not ski that well anyway then, even if I didn't need MoJos)
I felt 8 foot tall.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@holidayloverxx, I know a couple of people who have worn their Mojo outside their ski pants.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@DrLawn, I don't think you could sensibly wear a mojo outside your pants. for a start, it would mean either having a nasty gap between your trousers and your ski boots or tucking the former in the latter. And cobbling up your trousers under the velcro fastening bits would surely make the "grip" of the Mojo on your legs much less secure than having it underneath.

And how would you negotiate the junction between the top strap thing of the Mojo and your trousers.

And last but not least, you'd need a lot of fiddling around before you could sit on a loo!

What's the problem with wearing it underneath?

I have a Mojo inherited from my OH. I don't need it at the moment, really, but often helped him into it.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@pam w, if you borrow one, you are often already dressed in ski gear, and your pants may not be baggy enough to wear it underneath. I think elHen was wearing one outside her pants at the Birthday bash for that reason.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes, you're right, she was, and we skied together quite a bit. But I feel quite sure that wearing it underneath is more secure and more comfortable. Trousers do have to be fairly baggy to fit a Mojo underneath comfortably, but the fashion is baggier now, generally, so that's not a big problem.

A Mojo that's been individually fitted, by an expert, to the wearer, and attached firmly to the legs (or over a thin base layer) is almost certainly a more secure fit than one with salopettes strapped in underneath.

Takes more of a knack to "depower it", though.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have yet to discover whether my new hinged knee brace fits under my trousers. If not I'll have the excuse to buy new ones.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DrLawn wrote:
Hi @holidayloverxx, are you certain about that, or is it a demo set, I've tried on?
Do you use them yourself? or would you tell if you did?

There us a whole thread on here about my experience with the mojo
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wot @pam w, said
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DrLawn wrote:
Hi @holidayloverxx I just noticed the Flachau link!
The last time I was out that way I was staying in St Viet, great time.
It was about 1984 and there was a guy called Ziggi who owned the local ski school and believed he owned the whole mountain.
He gave me a rollikin for instructing on his mountain.
I never felt so chuffed ... I wasnt instructing .. just skiing with my mates. (I could not ski that well anyway then, even if I didn't need MoJos)
I felt 8 foot tall.

I think samerberg Sue knows siggi . ..if it's the same person
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@holidayloverxx, that would have Siegi Baumgartner. He was the head of the ski school in St Johann/Alpendorf until the monopoly was broken in about 1985 or 1986 I think. He taught Siegi Kreidenhuber and Gerhard Sint who now run the Rot-Weiß-Rot ski school. He is a wee bit blunt to say the least, but he is very popular with the Americans and UK service personnel, Siegi Tours are based in St Veit providing skiing and golf holidays for mainly US service personnel. Siegi K is the guy who helped fit out Heather's boots as well as a few others.
snow report
@Samerberg Sue, I got mixed up with my siggis. .bit I knew you would have the answer
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
Mojo on the inside, underpants on the outside and make sure you don't catch your cape on the chairlift.
i Laughing Laughing
snow report
@Samerberg Sue, Yes "Siegi Baumgartner", must be the same guy..
He had loads of USA visitors all wearing red kneckerchiefs around the area.
(a bit like our black and yellow things).

Anyway back to MoJos
.. so it may be possible ... but probably not practical

But would it look cool?
if not it would be discreet.

I'm going to at least try them on the outside.
Must read the post about them
latest report
@DrLawn, yep, they all get USA/Austrian flag neckerchiefs as part of their welcome pack! But they like that sort of thing, uniforms and all that wink
snow report
DrLawn wrote:
?...
Is it cool to "Go Commando" with them and wear them on the outside of your ski pants?

In El Tarter last season watching some ski race training. One of the coaches was wearing a Ski Mojo on the outside of his ski race salopettes. That's the only was I can see they could be worn on the outside.

I wear mine on the inside, but make sure the salopettes are not fitted and do not have a fleece lining as the Velcro fixings will snag on the lining.
ski holidays
@Samerberg Sue, Are they still going then ( the ski holidays ...that is) ?

I did spot an American Gentleman wearing the neckerchief in Zurs 1993, he was an old fella who may well have benefited with Mojos.
I was impressed by his sunglasses which dated from the 30's.
That's good mileage for shades.

I had a peek at HolidayLovers Mojo thread from Jan 15, very interesting... and very long with lots of tales of suffering, agony and Phaaf

And Phaafing is a word invented to describe an important part of skiing.
ski holidays
DrLawn wrote:
?...

In El Tarter last season watching some ski race training. One of the coaches was wearing a Ski Mojo on the outside of his ski race salopettes. That's the only was I can see they could be worn on the outside.

I wear mine on the inside, but make sure the salopettes are not fitted and do not have a fleece lining as the Velcro fixings will snag on the lining.
snow report
Steveee wrote:
A mojo or a knee brace?
snow conditions
@DrLawn, yes, although I think there may be more mileage in the golf side now though! It seems to be flourishing while the skiing numbers are more diversified these days as most of the British bases have closed and the Yanks have pulled out of most of their earlier bases and consolidated around Ramstein and Stuttgart mainly now.
ski holidays
@Samerberg Sue ... I suppose the American forces now do their skiing in the Hindu Kush these days.
I suppose its all Heli Skiing as well.
snow report
Don't they clip to the top of the boot? And so would not be very elegant, or comfortable to have trousers half way up your leg all day!
ski holidays
Wear them on the outside by all means. Just expect lots of pointing and laughing...
snow conditions
^+1

Unless your Mojo is from the era of Blackjacks and Drumsticks.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DrLawn wrote:

But would it look cool?
if not it would be discreet.

I'm going to at least try them on the outside.
Must read the post about them

How on earth can skiing with a mechanical aid on the outside of your pants look cool?

On a related note several years ago at Ski Rossendale I watched matching his and hers one piece wearers walk to the slope with matching elasticated bandages on the same knee - worn over the top of sallopets - and just shook my head.
ski holidays
If you wear them inside your pants you might get some chafing but if you wear them outside you will get some chaffing.
snow report
just order some for my wife who is struggling with patella arthritis - really hoping they help
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
A mojo or a knee brace?

Definitely a mojo.
latest report
Steveee wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
A mojo or a knee brace?

Definitely a mojo.

I'm surprised at that as someone with that kind of experience probably shouldn't need help to stay in balance on their skis (although it might take the load off when standing by the side of a training piste all day).
snow report
Quote:

someone with that kind of experience probably shouldn't need help to stay in balance on their skis

I think a lot of people use Mojos to take the strain off arthritic (type) knees, rather than to stay in balance. Not sure how a Mojo would help you stay in balance, if you weren't in balance to start with.
snow report
@pam w, I've not used one, so I might have completely the wrong idea, but as I understand it there's a spring type mechanism which stretches as you bend your legs and wants to return to a position which keeps your hips above your feet?
latest report
yes, it shoves you up, thereby reducing the effort your muscles have to make, makes it less tiring. There is some sales-pitch about putting people into the "right" ski position but I'm not 100% convinced. But even if it does, it makes sense for an expert skier/coach who needs no help with balance to use one to help compensate for weakness due to something like arthritic knees.
ski holidays
What the website says :

Developed using medical insights Ski~Mojo is a device that uses spring recoil technology to take up to a third of the strain off the legs and knees by providing kinetic energy to assist leg extension. Ski~Mojo supplements the power of the leg muscles, this in turn reduces impact, substantially delays muscle fatigue and alleviates leg and knee pain.

Since its launch in 2007 the Ski~Mojo has been developed and honed into the latest version. The Ski~Mojo works like an exoskeleton for the legs consisting of a lightweight comfortable harness with neoprene knee supports containing powerful springs.

Ski~Mojo enables the wearer to ski for longer and avoid the leg pain and fatigue they would otherwise experience.

Martin Hannaford, Managing Director of Ski~Mojo, said:

"The Ski~Mojo is like fuel injection for your skiing. The Ski~Mojo is British designed, British engineered and British made and it is loved the world over by those who want to enhance their technique, extend their ski day, reduce impact and eradicate pain. The product is unique and its benefits are life altering." 

The pictures on the website show it over tights - but I'm sure that is only so you can see the approx. mechanics of it. The description is about wearing it under normal ski trousers - though when I had a look at one I didn't think it would fit under mine !
latest report
I'm about as fit as Mr Blobby, and even have trouble climbing the stairs in my bungalow.
I'm a feel young 66 .. but I know my leg muscles are getting near there sell by date.
I have a twinge in my right knee .. but Mr Vince the knee surgeon in Cambridge reckons there is nothing to be gained by any keyhole stuff.
My left ankle is pretty shot after too many motorcycle accidents .. so arthritis has been nibbling in there for a long time.

But skiing is my favourite pastime, like nearly all of us sitting on this forum watching the leaves go crinkly.

I tried the mojos on the 2nd day of the April Bash this year and it definitely helped my skiing, it
"took a load off fanny"
"took a load off me"

http://youtube.com/v/MmHn9GyHqFY

I'm not saying it improved my posture in anyway at all .. but I was able to do stuff I haven't done for years ...
like squat right back on the skis to lift the tips and drive them from the tails across the afternoon slush.
(I know its not PC skiing but sometimes its good to get out of the box)

I suppose I'll be wearing them underneath the pants then ...
But I could have a little hole put in the pants just at the back of the boots to allow easier access to the boot coupling.
latest report
Wear it on the inside. Wearing on the outside is attention seeking and sad - and pretty uncomfortable Skullie Skullie
snow report
@RUGBY PETER, looks like you sussed me out then.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy