Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort Help Please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everybody, I'm hoping to tap into a wealth of knowledge and ideas

I have used the search function, alot of discussion about babies and child care, but we could do with some help searching for a resort.

Myself, fiancee are hoping for resort recommendations for us. When we travel our daughter will be 6 months old so we're looking for:

A resort where accommodation can be found near the lifts because we will be alternate skiing mornings and afternoons whilst the other minds our daughter.

A resort with a pretty-ish village or a generally nice feel would be great for the person who is minding the baby and walking our dog who will be coming with us, so the possibility of nice walks and somewhere to have a tea would be great.

The skiing, my wife to be will be happy with predominantly blues and reds and I will be happy with whatever suits her because I can practice and enjoy my time in the mountains and if there's any challenging stuff I will take it as a bonus. Also we may not ski everyday.

We are driving in our camper so happy with France, Austria or Italy. Initially we decided upon France because we both speak French to a certain extent and it gives us a chance to stay on top of the language. However we will be away over the New Year period so maybe widening the choice of countries to Austria and Italy gives us a chance of better snow? We'll be away for two week taking in 30th December through to mid January.

We aren't worried about any nightlife in the slightest, however a few nice places too eat would be nice should the opportunity to eat out early arise.

We have skied alot over the years but this year brings a new dimension with having a daughter so are open to your suggestions.

Areas and resorts we have on the list for consideration are:

France
La Clusaz, Le Grand Bornand and Les Carroz - a little worried about snow cover here early in the season but as always it will be what it will be and time away in the mountains with family beats anything else.
Serre Chevalier - have spent time here in the summer climbing and like the area so can see why people would want to ski there, we would base ourselves in Chantemerle or Monetier.
St Gervais - I/we know nothing about this area.
La rosiere/La thuille - again we know nothing about here.
St Martin de Belleville - I've heard it's a nice village and I know the skiing but we're not too worried about going to a mega big resort.
Les coches and Monchavin - both sound nice but ditto above re the large area but we have never skied la plagne.

Austria
We have skied Saalbach, Kitzbuhel and Ischgl a fair bit so would rather try somewhere new

Ellmau - has been suggested to us.
Schladming - i've always liked the look of here but how easy is it to get accommodation near the lifts?

Italy - please enlighten us, we've never skied here but Madonna di Campaglio and Courmayeur have again been mentioned to us.

I'm looking forward to suggestions and we really do have an open mind on where to go so let me know some nice villages linked to some good skiing please............
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi and welcome

How about Westendorf? It is a nice, smaller village with a few nice restaurants. The slopes come right down into the village so most hotels are very close but there are also walks up top so you could meet at the top of the gondola for lunch. there are many non skiers (and dogs!) around up the hill. It is not too high so should not be impracticable for a small child to be outside.

If you do a bit of planning then days out to local resorts on the Kitzbuheler alpen pass might add variety for the non skier. Either drive or use the train (free for skiers between Westendorf, Kitzbuhel, Sankt Johann)

Can recommend Clive at www.pensionchristoph.at It is a B&B but there is a residents kitchen and usually lots of kids so child friendly.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ellmau is a nice option. I had noticed that the ski welt was publicising a young family ticket that is transferable between parents officially.

http://www.skiwelt.at/en/youngfamilyticket4.html
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
We'll be away for two week taking in 30th December through to mid January.

I don't think you will get a part week 26th Dec to 2nd Jan. That is one of the busiest weeks of the year. If you go 2nd to 16th Jan it will be as cheap as chips. Unless I've misinterpreted your trip dates.

I know Les Coches very well and we are staying in Montchavin at Christmas. Nice villages IMO, easy to get to, great access to the skiing and good tree skiing, which may be useful given the time of the year you are going. There aren't lots of eating out options but probably enough for your needs.

Are you planning on sharing a lift pass? That could be dodgy.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the input so fay, very kind.
@Layne, we are going to get an independently booked apartment and it appears at present there is no problem in some of the places I mentioned above regards part weeks at New Year but we'll see. Also need to book with an owner direct so we can find a dog friendly place and we'll see how we go re the pass.....

@Col the Yeti, we'll check Westendorf out tonight, an old boos of mine used to have a place there.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Regarding the pass. I've shared passes when the kids where young (in 3V and La Plagne iirc) and we didn't have a prob but as I understand it is against the T&Cs and there are stories of people being caught and having them confiscated. There are threads on here discussing it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As @TallGuyUK, says Skiwelt does have a transferrable pass. That also applies to Westendorf (but not the wider area Kitzbuheler Alpen one)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Col the Yeti wrote:
As @TallGuyUK, says Skiwelt does have a transferrable pass. That also applies to Westendorf (but not the wider area Kitzbuheler Alpen one)

That is a great idea. I hope more resorts do it. Although I'd question why it's only parents - what about other family members. I know it's a niche thing but...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Milkyway.....combine France and Italy?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
How about Champoluc in Italy? Nice village, good walks, both down low in the village along the valley and access to the mountain higher up for lunches in some gorgeous restaurants and mountain farmsteads. A lovely new spa/swimming pool has just opened in the village too. Lovely for baby. We went for the first time last season and fell for the place. It just has something about it.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Avoriaz, France may suit your needs..... It has a no car policy in the village so good for walking and will be suitable for a pushchair too. It also has a children's play park, so although your tot will only be six months, he/she will be able to have snow play too.
Supermarkets are well stocked if you are planning self catering and there are lots of restaurants to choose from.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@cass, you may want to consider a resort that is not too high, small babies can suffer at higher altitude, we took our son to L2A which is 1600m when he was 9 months, a week without sleep was hard work. Have you considered Les Carroz, nice village to walk around, and reasonably easy to swap over the lift pass.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy