Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mayrhofen January 2016

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Folks,

Planning a trip for 3 of us to Mayrhofen for early January next year. We're looking to do it on a budget, so any advice would be wonderful!

Couple of questions:
1) Best to transfer from Innsbruck or Salzburg? Are there inherently cheaper days to fly out?
2)Best priced accomodation within a 5min walk of the main lift?
3)A 5 day lift pass is 204euros, are there ways to get this cheaper?

Thank you in advance!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1) Innsbruck - on a good run just over an hour, dead easy.
2) Loads of pensions in town. Crystal also do a very basic and cheap chalet on the main drag, within a 5 min walk - Chalet Tirol I think it was called.
3) Not as far as I know, although some TOs do the buy one get one free offers on passes during the season, you need to keep an eye out for them.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
1) I agree can't beat Innsbruck
2) Three of us stayed at Gastehaus Monika last January, could not fault it for the price. We had a 2 bedroom apt on the ground floor. It is less than 100 metres from the Penkenbahn lift. Breakfast is served from 7:30 and we made the first lift at 8 each morning.
3) Probably not much that you can do about the price if you are doing it diy.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
for transfers it has to be innsbruck...cheapest way is by train

bus / taxi from airport to hbf then train to Jenbach then change to Zillertal bahn for Mayrhofen. Alternative route is to use tirol taxi who will do a straight airport to accomidation run.

accomidation wise - use the tourist office webpage to search or interchalet i think you would be hard pushed to find bad accomidation in the town, everything is fine.

pass wise - nope, if you are diy thats the price, this isnt the states they dont discount haha

for what its worth so far I'm booked up for Jan and March both trips £500 for flights / baggage / transfers / accomidation / 6 day ski pass (although i fly to munich as its cheaper and get the train from there)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Innsbruck is the easiest transfer, however if the prices are good to Salzburg then it is not a nightmare. I fly from Salzburg all of the time as it is better for me to fly into Stansted. You can often get a 14 euro ticket to Jenbach if you book in advance and then just have to pay for the last bit up the valley.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Innsbruck
Gasthaus Pramstraller (not Hotel) Hotel Pramstraller is up the hill and very nice but costs.
Try Crystal and/or Neilsons
Ski hire - try Luggi Rent a Ski in the main high st.
You can get a small discount if you go with Crystal airport transfer but prices are more or less
fixed.
Avoid Penken lift - walk down to the train station and take a 5min ride and go up the Horberg lift.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Avoid Penken lift - walk down to the train station and take a 5min ride and go up the Horberg lift.[/quote]

The Penken lift has been upgraded. Up and running for the new season.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think Luggi has retired and they have put the business over to the Greenroom. The Greenroom are also very good.

No problem with Penken lift in January, was only ever an issue a few weeks of the year. The new one should clear all of that up as well

http://www.mayrhofner-bergbahnen.com/en/insights/new-3s-gondola-lift
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This is wonderful thank you guys! Will update when we are booked if anyone else is following this thread
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If cheap flights are what you're after, don't discount flying to Munich allybrown360 - usually good prices with easyjet (eg Manchester, Edinburgh and Stansted). Easy train transfers direct from the airport (change at Jenbach).

For accommodation, you could use Hotels.com - and book via Quidco, the cashbook site. That way you get up to 12% cashback (it varies between 8 and 12%) AND Rewards Pts from Hotels.com - 1 per night booked, with 10 pts = 1 free night in the future.

Alternatively, as has been suggested, the Mayrhofen website has loads of pensions/B&Bs.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'd also recommend Haus Monika. Cheap, clean, great baths, good breakfast, right next to the Penken.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Look at flying to Munich with Lufthansa, ski carriage is free, cheaper than easy jet etc scheduled flights so choose your departure times. (we flew back mid afternoon so no middle of might exit from resort). I'd recommend https://www.tirol-taxi.at/ for transfer €88 return. They are very good. Also Munich airport less crowded.
Wouldn't worry about being near Penken lift as there is a very good ski bus thats free with lift pass. Also train is free and you can ski Zillertal Arena and Kaltenbach so best place for accommodation is the bottom of town near the station.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy