Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Moutiers to Val Thoren bus - need to book?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm planning to do the following route - not quite sure what train I will get so want to check if it's possible to just get on the next bus to Val Thoren from Moutiers, or if I have to book in advance for a fixed time (I'm going 26th December so it is likely to be busy). Also if anyone thinks this plan is madness let me know. The problem is at the moment I'm struggling to find well timed transfers direct from the airport.

fly into Chambery
bus/taxi to the train station in Chambery (only 10km)
train from Chambery to Moutiers (checked SNCF seem to be regular trains, take just over an hour direct and only cost 15 eur)
Bus from Moutiers to Val thorens. Altibus, others?

Thanks in advance (and hope it's ok to post in this part of the forum, apologies if not)
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Definitely book for a conservative timing.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Your plan seems fine to me. I'd book a ticket for a bus you know you can catch. I think they are pretty flexible if there's space on other buses and you get there earlier than expected.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the quick response, reassures me I can book the cheap Chambery flight I found! Good advice to book for a conservative transfer time and then ask to get on an earlier bus if it all goes smoothly.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Whichever way you travel the road between Albertville and Moutiers could and probably will be a car park (remember last years Snowmageden). I'll be in it too no doubt unless the gendarmes let me use the back roads.

Be v conservative with bus times as if you miss your booked bus and later ones are full it's a taxi to VT.

ANDY
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@nikki_c, Take care on the return. There are (or were not a couple of years ago) no busses between Chambery airport and the station and it may be very difficult to find a taxi at the station to get you back to the airport. My nepthew almost missed his flight after trying for an hour to get a taxi at Chambery railway station. Try and book the taxi in advance.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Also check out flights to Lyon. More choice of flights, guaranteed express bus service between airport and main Part Dieu train station, and about as many trains to Moutiers.

There is a TGV train station at Lyon Exupery airport, but no direct service from Exupery to Moutiers.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@nikki_c, Where did you find the cheap Chambery flight ?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you wanted to do it on the cheap, you could walk from Chambery airport to the train station at Aix and get the train from there. I think it changes at Chambery.

Not sure how far the walk is but not too far from memory as I cycle past the airport and train station lot and it doesn't seem far on a bike.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@emwmarine, Far enough with bags to need to go into training first. Its about 5 mile + !

I'd look into the Lyon suggestion - you have a long day's travelling ahead of you otherwise. What about shared transfers from AlpyBus or the like?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Mountain Haddock, rule number 5 or something like that Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy