Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tips and advice on Val D.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Our family trip in Half term is usually a resort we know well, as a family this allows for lots of flexibility as we know the resorts well (Courchevel 1850, 3vs in general, Obergurgl, Zell am see) and don't generally need a piste map or resort guide in any way, but it appears that I am about to book the family half term trip in Feb to Val D'isere to be confirmed in the next couple of hours. Mrs Ansta1 isn't the most confident of skiers but capable of most pistes based stuff. She does however like a few regular piste stops, even if it's whilst me and the girls get a few extra runs in. Eldest and Junior (15 and 10 at time of travel) are pretty competent on most stuff. I've been once or twice with friends but generally just followed them around and while I can certainly find my way around without too much trouble would appreciate any thoughts or input oradvice on what to avoid or head for in terms of skiing, restaurants and bars on the mountain etc, and any private instructors for the Juniors/Mrs A.

Thanks

Ansta1
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@ansta1, Steve Angus for instruction...without a doubt.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@holidayloverxx, thanks, already seen that recommendation on previous posts. Will check it out.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
lac du Ouiliette for lunch. Tartiflette Quiche mmmmmmmmmmmmm Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
lac du Ouiliette for lunch. Tartiflette Quiche mmmmmmmmmmmmm Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You will love Val D. Good ideas are up Solaise lift and over to green run Madeleine where there is a lovely cafe/restaurant at bottom for stops. Also over on your left you have the Glacier long blue run and a self-service at bottom. Good if others want to do some reds.
Would also recommend the lift over to the next valley and up to the Glacier runs, blue and red. Gorgeous on sunny day with great self-service restaurant/cafe up there.
Other idea would be up Bellevarde cable car and lots of greens blues and cafe/restaurant at bottom of Borsat. (Sorry don't know names of restaurants but they're all casual.)

Just don't be too ambitious about all skiing down to the bottom as most slopes are steep and often icy. Great for good skiers but not for nervous ones. Lots get lifts down, it's fine, and you can meet at bottom.

Have fun!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
So good, you'll want to eat it three times!!

My advice is to head up to the Fornet end on the first day (jump on the bus, they're free and every few minutes) while everyone else queues for the Olympique gondola and enjoy the lovely runs on the Val glacier.

If you want to ski back into Val, the best option is to aim for the La Daille end as the runs are a bit nicer at the end of the day. Further along there are no easy options, Mrs Ansta won't appreciate doing Face or Epaule du Charvet at 4.30. Also AVOID Santons as an afternoon run. Most horrible blue run in the world. A long, icy gully usually strewn with terrified beginners.

For restaurants - Peau du Vache halfway down the Face is lovely, also Les Clochetons - it has a beautiful view along the Manchet Valley and great food.

Make sure you take the kids to watch La Folie Douce, I think they're too young to go in but they'll love to see it from the piste above. It's bigger and crazier than the one in Meribel.

It's my favourite ski area, enjoy! The runs are fabulous.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So in response to my 'other' thread in apres shall i just deposit now possible no skiing 15 year old in la folie douce at 9am and pick her up at 17.15 or is that just too risky wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You can park her there all day if you can sort a fake ID

They have tightened up on age checks in the afternoons

😁
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

the best option is to aim for the La Daille end as the runs are a bit nicer at the end of the day

a bit nicer, but still not nice - I did that "green" on a quietish day and it wasn't easy towards the bottom, with lots of beginners picking their way down. Plus, if you are staying somewhere central, I think you need to get the bus back and at half term I imagine that could be a bit of a pain. Take a lift and enjoy a bird's eye view of the carnage on La Face.

Lots of lovely skiing but I don't know it well enough to recommend anywhere in particular. One sector you get to on the "up and over" lift had some very pleasant blue runs - one of the people who know the resort well will provide the names. I followed people around, too - and we only had afternoons as we had morning lessons on a course in Tignes. Lots of good skiing over there, too.

Local advice can help keep you away from the worst of the crowds - like the Le Fornet idea above. I found all the restaurants expensive compared to what I'm used to and it's irritating having to pay to pee after being fleeced for some very basic food. Though not as irritating as hearing Brits marching up to the counter and ordering without the courtesy of a "bonjour". rolling eyes Probably the same Brits as will then complain about surly Frenchmen.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's worth paying the extra for the Espace Killy lift pass, including Tignes Smile. Access to and from Val D is easy.

February is busy. The quietest pistes of Val D are above Le Fornet - great, high altitude cruising on excellent snow. Pleasant new mountain restaurant there too.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@pam w, No, getting the bus back is not a pain. They can be very busy, but they are frequent. The 'blue run' sector you refer to is over the back of Solaise near the Leissieres lift.

I love Val d'Isere. It's the best resort I've ever been to (out of many) and I'll love it forever. Best skiing, best apres, best atmosphere.

IMO. Of course.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I agree with pam w: nothing wrong with taking the lift down.
All the runs down to Val d'Isere, whether from Bellevard or Solaise - even down to La Daille when pistes icy - are full of learners struggling and wishing they were elsewhere.
So end the day easy and live to ski another day.

Similarly, if you go over to Tignes: the run down to La Lac is no fun for nervous beginners - take the lift (Tovier gondola, previously Aeroski). If you want to ski down, take the Borsat Express lift across to above Val Claret and go down that way.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy