Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Year Resort advice for complete noob!

Poster: A snowHead
@jamesforclaire, we had a great new years week skiing about 10 years back when my girls were 14&15, 1st family trip in Austria- Hinterglemm.

To be honest you don't want to be looking at a big resort with miles of piste especially as your family is skiing for the first time, you could end up separated and miles from each other. If I were you I would look at a small Austrian resort where it would be intimate and you are all close together. I say Austria because there is always life and jovial inclusiveness in Austrian resorts. You will have a hoot and the kids will be hooked for life.

Have fun wherever you end up. Another thing don't be hung up on altitude because the higher you go the colder it gets.

IMHO, Greg
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You'd need to check with club med where lessons will be held for beginners throughout the week. If you don't get a thoroughly satisfactory reply and don't like the look of San cassiano I'd second the suggestion of a small Austrian resort provided there are no busses involved.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@jamesforclaire,
Just go for the Club Med - They really do include EVERYTHING. It is quite possible to go from the airport to resort and back without spending another euro.

The food is also excellent - I normally put on at least 2Kg - which is going some on a ski-ing holiday!

PS PM me for further info on ClubMed - Not been to that one but have been to several others
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Go for Pragelato. Club Med Ski are simply superb, you cannot get a better holiday, especially with youngsters involved. The experienced skiers may not agree but for a noob they really are the best possible option and you really do get what you pay for!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Club Med Club Med. Lard and lager frenzy.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
club Med has some enthusiastic reports here on SHs - but Pragelato doesn't look like the best option for a family of beginners.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd agree with Pam on that one. How about club med in Cervinia or Alpe D'Huez?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dobby wrote:
Club Med Club Med. Lard and lager frenzy.

Clearly you've never actually been anywhere with Club Med. Yes it's All-Inclusive but very much at the top end of the market in terms of quality! For the all around experience, and the really high quality of the resort in Pragelato I think you're on to a winner. Other "more beginner friendly" resorts are all purpose built concrete jungles. Both Club Meds in Alpe d'Huez and Cervinia are monstrous blocks built in the 80s, Pragelato has been finished in a much more authentic way.... I'd take Pragelato over either of them any day...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Other "more beginner friendly" resorts are all purpose built concrete jungles.

Puzzled There was a very positive, and detailed, report a couple of years ago from a family who went to the Club Med in Serre Chevalier for their first ever ski holiday.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes I have. Went to LDA. TR on snowheads somewhere. Had a great time. Ate lots and drank a bit, but not too much. Enjoyed it enormously but u can feel a bit institutionalised at the end of a week
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@pam w, that will be chemistry's report
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chemistry's report on Serre Che club med - http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1995552&highlight=club+med#1995552

Chemistry's report on Peisey Vallandry Club Med - http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2236724&highlight=club+med#2236724

My report on LDA Club Med - just to show that I have obviously been - http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1969370&highlight=club+med#1969370
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

u can feel a bit institutionalised at the end of a week

I feel like that in a hotel - I don't like them, really. Would much prefer self-catering, eating out or cooking in, as appropriate.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ok ok, you have been, fine. But if so then I really don't understand how you could call Club Med a Lard and Lager frenzy? Maybe I've only been to the nice ones (4 Trident darling!) but I've always found them really high quality.

pam w I was referrring specifically to ADG and Cervinia which are both, indisputably, full of huge blocks. Serre Chevalier is a different ball game and I think the Club Med there is a pretty good one from what I read.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@jamesforclaire,

before the snowHead collective get too bogged down in Club Med!

You can get many of the "all inclusive" features you want in a lot of resorts so don't limit yourself to club med if you fancy somewhere different. Smaller operators (and the big package companies) will often arrange ski school, lift passes, gear rental etc. If you are half board then food is pretty much covered. Italy and Austria in general have decent food and drink at good prices and it would be a shame to miss the buzz in the village. France and (especially) Switzerland cost is more of an issue, hence all the self catering in France. Personally we go B&B because going out in the evening is part of the holiday but it gets dearer with a family so I guess half board is a good compromise.

I haven't been yet but after several Austrian trips (Westendorf also recommended) we have booked this year with www.enchantedholidays.co.uk It is run by a snowhead and only does the one resort, Madonna di Campiglio, which might meet your needs. They will do all the hire, ski school, passes etc plus friendly advice.
ski holidays
@froomie, OK I was a bit flippant. But unlimited bread and melty cheese, and beer on tap in the dining room was great after a day's skiing.....
snow conditions
When booze is "free" people try and get their money's worth.
latest report
well seeing as how you all so very kindly took time to offer your advice (some of which was taken into consideration, but all of which was noted, so genuinely thank you all for your input) I thought I'd let you know the outcome...........

I'm off to club med Pragelato on the 27th December for a week!! (soooo excited)

I think had I had more time to book, had it not been our first time, had it been a less busy time of year, it may have been a different outcome....

I loved the look of the dolomites however couldn't find any decent looking accommodation within budget (I mean I couldn't find accommodation that would then have allowed me to purchase lift passes, lessons, ski hire etc within budget)...

Corvara (was that what it was called?) looked stunning and the chalets with Collets looked amazing but having contacted them were fully booked.....

I liked vey much the idea of going across the pond but couldn't find anywhere that fitted the dates i needed to go to fit in with work commitments

I think once we've all been, know we love it (or don't! as is possible) and we know just how tired we will or won't be, how hard or not it is to carry skis or board around, whether we'd want to be jumping on shuttle buses, whether we're bothered on not by having half or full board, not needing daily lessons and so on, then can then start giving considerations to others types of holiday, whether this is self catering, catered chalets and indeed locations that best suit what we're then looking for....

So, thanks again, i'll be sure to post a review on my return.....

Now to go find reasonably priced ski equipment....is there anything that i'll think i'll need (or that industry will have me believe i do!) that I won't, or by the same token, anything i won't realise i need until i am there and it's too late??!
latest report
Gloves - buy good ones. The cheaper ones fall to bits.
Goggles
Hat
neck warmer
sun screen

I've never skied in the US and personally can't understand why anyone would go all the way there rather than the alps. Furthermore in Austria there is fantastic food and customer service and the ski areas are a lot bigger.
snow report
jamesforclaire wrote:
Now to go find reasonably priced ski equipment....is there anything that i'll think i'll need (or that industry will have me believe i do!) that I won't, or by the same token, anything i won't realise i need until i am there and it's too late??!

Ahh...yes well...the one thing skiing is very good at is parting you from your money! Usually in a pleasantly therapeutic fashion.
For a first trip especially with kids in tow, check out whether you have skiers in your friendship circle from whom you might be able to borrow kit. Most parents have a cupboard full of outgrown ski gear. Likewise there is often kit advertised here. Put up a post in the for sale/wanted section.
TK Maxx is always worth a rummage at this time of year.
Base layer thermals top and bottom (I prefer three quarter length leggings then they don't get in the way of your boots). It can be very cold at New Year so I'd put them on the essentials list.
Ski Socks-I can get away with 3 pairs for a week. Teenage boys seem to manage with one pair, but don't enter their room after day 3!
Definitely try and get good gloves.
Goggles-definitely.

Given that you will be in a ski resort, don't worry if you don't have stuff cos you can always get it there...maybe a bit more expensive though
latest report
@Perty, +1 for all that. Good advice.
snow conditions
jamesforclaire wrote:
well seeing as how you all so very kindly took time to offer your advice (some of which was taken into consideration, but all of which was noted, so genuinely thank you all for your input) I thought I'd let you know the outcome...........

I'm off to club med Pragelato on the 27th December for a week!! (soooo excited)

You'll have a great trip. There must be tonnes of kids who have learned to ski in that resort, so whilst other resorts might be 'better'. I'm sure your choice will meet all your requirements. Going club med means you can enjoy the holiday aspect without stressing about buying passes, where to meet the instructor or cooking for yourselves.

jamesforclaire wrote:

You need to read this thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=22621
latest report
Uniqlo is good for under layers too.
ski holidays
Have a great holiday. You don't need expensive goggles. Good gloves are essential but they often have excellent ones in TK Maxx. Buy jackets which can be used for other things (walks in the country etc). My grand-daughter has been wearing the Vaude jacket I bought her in a sale in France as her only coat for the last year. The lining zips out. It was a bit big for her originally and will fit her all this coming winter too, including two ski holidays, and will then do her younger sister for a bit. Same goes for socks - the same technical socks which are good in ski boots (thin ones) are also ideal for walking boots.

Decathlon does some excellent gear, if you have one near you. Sports Direct often have base layers but sketchy sizes - you might need to go a few times to get all the sizes you need. Don't worry about merino - some kids find it itchy, it's more expensive and less hard wearing than the synthetic. My grandchildren spent the entire holiday in their base layers, just layering up on top of them as appropriate. They will wash and dry overnight.
snow conditions
@jamesforclaire, In terms of kitting you and your family out with the necessary clothing, goggles, gloves etc you'll find it hard to beat the prices at Aldi and Lidl when they get their ski stuff in, see this newspaper article from last year. However be aware that the stock is not replenished and it's usually only there for a few days as it sells out so quickly. The Aldi and Lidl websites give a few days notice of when the ski stuff will be in their stores, but if you check regularly on snowHeads (always a good idea snowHead ) you'll find that there's usually a thread started when the ski stuff is about to be go on sale, e.g this thread from last year: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2636917&highlight=aldi#2636917
snow conditions
@jamesforclaire, If you miss Lidl etc then you can get reliable, decent gear at Decathlon and they have all the sizes all the time. their own brand stuff is fine, I think better value than Sports direct. Don't worry about ski specific stuff except for trousers (walking waterproof will just get cut to shreds by ski edges and will be a real pain when snow goes straight up your leg). Outdoor gear for walking etc will be fine as layers and a breathable waterproof jacket over layers will be fine, many people stay with separate shell jackets. When you know what you like you can choose long term gear.

Don't worry about brand, get the proper materials (wicking base layers, merino if you find it cheap) and you will be fine.
snow report
Now I'm joining the band of people worrying about whether there will be any snow!!!!
ski holidays
We have a week going for £550 quid at the minute, an apartment for 4-6, 10 minutes drive from Alleghe in the Dolomites - its a nice steady resort with lots of options. We're also surrounded by other ski areas - we'll be there over New years so could hold your hand a bit if you like... its an easy flight to venice and a car up to the house which isa 1.45 hr drive. Our website is at www.casa-alfredino.co.uk - passes are much cheaper than france and living costs on the slopes are much more reasonable - let me know if you're interested!

Mike
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks Mike but having spent a considerable sum, if there's no snow i'll simply have to lay around in the spa and enjoy bags of quality all inclusive food!!!
ski holidays
No worries!
ski holidays
Tignes, has it all . High nursery green slopes, you can tuck down to Les Brevieres if you really need . We were there three years ago and to be honest I don't remember any bad queue,s. La plange last year how ever was terrible for queue's.
Tignes for us again this year. It's where my then 8 year old learnt. Flakiness is good as well. My other two and my self learnt in flaine.
Rough it a little makes the holiday in some ways more special:)
Look out for the sceptics and weather forcast saying little more snow to come before Xmas though. So high resorts would be best bet . Just my two pence worth 😄
ski holidays
Bigtoe, i booked a while back.....went with Club Med in Pragelato....not cheap hence the snow nervousness lol! Shocked
snow conditions
COPY FROM OTHER THREAD.

Note: This assumes you are going in the next week or two (after that things could well improve).

My understanding is that Pragelato is now an off-piste only mountain (maybe there is some beginner/nursery only slopes) so probably there won't be any skiing here.

There is however a lift and run into the Sestriere (and then Vialattea) area. I've skied the run into Pattemouche (for Pragelato) and it is a nice run (not too difficult and possible maybe half way through your week) but can't recall if it has snow cannons so may or may not be available/open but you could always use the lift anyway (it is a bubble/cable-car).

The Sestiere area probably has little natural snow but will have some skiing due to snow canons. Best to check the website to see exactly what the situation is before you leave. You'll get some skiing but it won't be the best you'll experience I'm afraid.

Having said that as a beginner maybe the worst thing may be that everywhere (apart from some pistes will be green). Be careful with ice while you're there and this is tricky however much you've skied!

I'm not sure where the beginners area would be so this would be a good question to ask the TO before you leave.

Anyway I'm sure you'll be fine and enjoy it. Skiing is good fun and your next trip will hopefully have lots of snow.

If your going later in the year then just take note of the points about the lifts/runs and not the weather.
snow conditions
Thanks Millom, useful...
ski holidays
Wasn't sure which thread you'd be looking at Smile.

The best area for beginners is maybe the runs around the Capret lift! But first of all you'll maybe go where the instructors take you.

They may take you along the road in a bus to this area anyway. Not sure Puzzled.
ski holidays
Given the current poor snow, few open lifts (20-30%) and limited beginner areas in Pragelato, it might be worth ringing Club Med and seeing if they can switch you to Wengen or Val d'Isere. They have more lifts, more snow and more accessible beginner areas.
snow conditions
@jamesforclaire, As you're in Club Med Pragelato some of the info on page one seems accurate. Unfortunately there is also a lot of noise from people who don't know anything! As I understand you'll have everything included so nice and simple. The included ski area will be ViaLattea (Sestriere). It seems there are a couple of small drag lifts near the top of the main lift I mentioned which Club Med will maybe use initially. I can't recall these specifically because the area is probably very small. Being mid mountain and the fact that it is a beginner area I'd expect it to be in good condition. Once you go further just be careful for ice and fast/dangerous skiers. In current conditions blues are more likely open (good for you) but more difficult runs shut which moves people together. The runs next to the road both by Sestriere and alongside the road going to Pragelato are the best for beginners. There are a few runs higher up to try but these are mainly more difficult. When you get your ski boots make sure you spend time getting them fitted properly (they should not hurt but may be a little strange at first). Always go back to the shop (even after day 1) if there is any problem. I wouldn't agree with a lot of the advice given here and elsewhere so careful what you believe. Whitegold posted on the other thread too but I don't think they have any actual knowledge (copying from websites) but it may be worth following his suggestion to see if there are other options with ClubMed available for exchange. This is not to say you won't be fine where you are just that if you don't ask you don't get and some other locations may be a little better for snow! Feel free to email me at sam dot mawby at hotmail dot co dot uk if you'd like advice offline either regarding this trip or further ski holidays. Enjoy

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 16-12-15 10:56; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Oh and I'd also recommend you all wear helmets based on the possible ice/fast skiers. Should be included for your whole family so easy choice. If it's sunny you'll just need very basic goggles or sunglasses. Don't pay much for these at all. The ones for bad weather is where you'd want to get something good and more expensive.
ski holidays
Just for the record, as most people are skiing barely skiiable slopes across Autria and France today. People are skiing the whole Sella Ronda on a blanket of manmade snow because the area had invested so heavily in snowmaking....
ski holidays
@cameronphillips2000, Puzzled there's plenty of snowmaking in Austria and France. Fortunately, given current conditions. But even manmade snow will suffer in the extraordinarily warm conditions being forecast for the next week.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy