Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Overnight Snowtrain with little folk

Poster: A snowHead
@pam w, I cannot tell a lie, t'was me - my homage to Hunter and gonzo journalism... May have to do "Return to the heart of darkness" when we go again at Easter.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Snowtrain, never, ever take your children on the Snowtrain. Really. You are risking their lives. I have seen people barely restraining themselves from causing physical harm to enfants terrible on the 'train. I think one of them might have been Richard Sideways, not sure tho' ....
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm not surprised that alcohol has been barred from the night train, too many young lads getting themselves drunk and then throwing up due to the motion of the train.

It's why I rarely drink anything alcoholic or fizzy whilst travelling. rolling eyes
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I thought I'd update you all to say we have booked accommodation now. We have plumped for courchevel 1650 as the new swimming pool looks fab. My parents are joining us so it's going to be a fabulous family holiday hopefully. I was hoping to take my daughter to a snow dome before we go to get her acclimatised to skiing, however I can't find anywhere that will let her on as a two year old Sad. Is anyone in the know?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Snowtrain, it might be a tad ambitious to aim to 'acclimatise" a two year old to skiing. If she's nearly 3 then she could probably do the odd half hour with a competent adult. We have some video of my granddaughter doing "hands on knees "down a tiny nursery slope. Beginners are only allowed on a snowdome in proper lessons and she's too young for that, obviously.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Well she will be just three by the time we go. I'm hoping she will pick it up quickly, she was an early walker, is tall for her age, is excellent on scooter and swims without any swim aid so we are hoping on her sporty nature otherwise ski school will be a miserable experience!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
RichardB wrote:
I'm not surprised that alcohol has been barred from the night train, too many young lads getting themselves drunk and then throwing up due to the motion of the train.

It's why I rarely drink anything alcoholic or fizzy whilst travelling. rolling eyes

I think it's the quantity of alcohol rather than the motion of the train making young lads ill. snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

ski school will be a miserable experience!

"ski school" for just 3 year olds will consist of playing in the snow, with warm indoor space available, should be fun, just a few little forays on skis, on virtually flat areas with a magic carpet. Should definitely not be miserable.

They won't be throwing her onto a T bar and skiing down in a blizzard.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Snowtrain wrote:
Well she will be just three by the time we go. I'm hoping she will pick it up quickly, she was an early walker, is tall for her age, is excellent on scooter and swims without any swim aid so we are hoping on her sporty nature otherwise ski school will be a miserable experience!

Let her enjoy play. She is too young to ski. Wait until she is 4 or 5.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I hope it's fun, I saw the little ones at marmottons in March last year and they weren't overly happy! I will see how she gets on, I hope she enjoys the snow garden as selfishly it would be nice to get a good few hours of ski in each day! Watch this space..
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Also does anyone have experience of a 5 year old snowboarding? My son is desperate to give it a go..I've never boarded and don't know whether it's a ridiculous idea and whether it keep him on skis..
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

does anyone have experience of a 5 year old snowboarding?

I once (while playing as a beginner on a snowboard on a nursery slope) was enormously entertained by an adorable little boy, who must have been about 5, who was having a ball. He looked like a little teddy bear. But he was with what looked like his dad - an accomplished and very attentive snowboarder, who was with him every inch of the way, making sure he didn't pick up too much speed, having a laugh when the lad fell over (which he did plenty). It was lovely to see them having such a good time together. I've seen other littlies - one who was just 3 - on a snowboard but always with attentive parents. For a 5 year old to try snowboarding without a knowledgeable parent I guess you'd either have to find a (rare) school which takes them that young for group lessons or pay for private lessons.

I think an athletic 5 year old who is already good on a skateboard, and not afraid of the inevitable pain, could give it a pretty good go!

If he's never skated and tends to cry a lot ...... maybe not.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks pam, we are sticking to skiing with maybe an afternoon of boarding midweek if the little one is desperate - fingers crossed he isn't!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Usually the ski train is pretty quiet by midnight, and any children are long asleep by that point unless any selfish sods are keeping them awake! I'd take a dozen children over a bunch of adult friends any time. It's never been children keeping me awake on the ski train and the movement of the train tends to put them into a deep sleep. Ours were happy sleeping on the floor without a mattress, but then they often do that at home, odd children that they are.

We went out with four of them, age 9, 7, 4 and a nearly 2 year old. Would have been fine were it not for the Jeremy Kyle show next to us and the adults involved being beyond antisocial (arguing, bleepy games etc) whilst their young kids desperately tried to sleep - they even fed them coke and actually forced them to play loud bleepy games when they were desperately trying to go to sleep at 1am! Utterly bizarre. One open can of coke landed on one of ours on her head who was asleep on the floor and even though we didn't respond (we were terrified of them) beyond trying to settle daughter back to sleep, they had a go at us for having a child asleep under our table as it was "filthy" (only because they threw all their rubbish down there!) We got stuck next to them on the way back too, I was stuck in the bit between carriages in tears for much of the journey trying to settle our nearly two year old who couldn't sleep with the racket and I didn't want her to disturb people in the other carriages who were able to sleep. On the plus side I had a nice stream of people walk past saying how sorry they felt for us stuck next to them and how they couldn't sleep either, and how they'd never seen anything like it in all their times on the night train.

Every other carriage on the train was silent and you could hear a pin drop, so we were just unbelievably unlucky. I travelled out another time, admittedly in standard premiere, and it was similar - deathly silent after midnight or so. The vast majority of people on the train just want to sleep and are decent people!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@sparklies, your account is so vivid it made me feel quite ill. What a nightmare. Shocked my son had a difficult but mercifully short train ride recently with his 4 year old and a group of teenage drunks. They weren't violent, in fact he said they were quite funny but foul-mouthed. Thankfully the little lad speaks Italian almost exclusively and didn't seem to pick up on the Anglo Saxon.
latest report
It was so unbelievable we were sure the people reading my Facebook updates must have thought I was making it up as it just got more and more absurd! As we left at Ashford, our last glimpse of them was as they got into a brand new car (I am actually suspecting lottery winners to be honest) with an expensive looking personalised plate, opened the door, flung out a load of McDonalds boxes into the road, slammed it, and drove off. The weird thing was that they dragged who I presume was their elderly father with them, who needed a wheelchair and quietly drank his "medicine" (yeah, right) from a hip flask the entire journey in both directions. He was no bother at all, although goodness knows what he made of a week in a ski resort. I have to say I really felt for the people who would have been next to their accommodation all week!!

Yes, there is sometimes a bit of swearing from the adults (these ones aside!) on the Snowtrain because, well, people are excited to be on holiday. So long as they're quiet by midnight, I'm not all that fussed!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy