Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Some driving to the Alps questions (morillon)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
marcellus wrote:
The benefit of the tag isn't necessarily the time saving but the benefit of saving the aggro caused by them... the whole;
- is this a take ticket or pay up toll,
- where's the ticket,
- have we got the change or do we need a card slot,
- left a bit, left a bit left a bit.....
- how long do you think my arms are???
- did she give me the right change?
- crunch how much does it cost to have your alloys redone???
- or even you get the sign to say you're 1km from the booth and everyone in the car has finally gone quiet as they're asleep!!

Whereas with a doofer you drive along, slow down drive through the centre of the lane and out the other side with just a re-assuring beeeep!

Ha ha, that's why I got mine.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@marcellus,
Quote:

Mine have just gone and it's 7 years old.. the annoying thing is you have to go back to the issuing authority/company for a replacement, in my case ATMB which will be a pita!

Now that's a bit worrying, did you get any warning? I would hate to drive up to a busy peage thinking great i can avoid the queue because I have the tag, and then you end up blocking a load of people behind because the battery has gone.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
marcellus wrote:

Mine have just gone and it's 7 years old.. the annoying thing is you have to go back to the issuing authority/company for a replacement, in my case ATMB which will be a pita!

Mine is with APRR, and all I had to do was go online and go to the section where you asked for a replacement as it was faulty, and they sent a new one. I then had 30 days to return the old one. All of this was free of charge except the cost of posting the old one to France.

It had lasted over five years and apparently played up the last time my wife used it so I just got it replaced. She doesn't use it often so might have been doing it wrong, but the attendant couldn't read the barcode as it was worn and so recommended we changed it.

Could be worth doing if you've had yours for a few years anyway, I'm sure they don't really worry it if it is a few years old.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
double post.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 28-09-15 17:47; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
Now that's a bit worrying, did you get any warning? I would hate to drive up to a busy peage thinking great i can avoid the queue because I have the tag, and then you end up blocking a load of people behind because the battery has gone.

No warning, but the first time I use it for a while I always go to one where I can pay by card just in case.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
andy1234 wrote:
@marcellus,
Quote:

I think there mat have been a warning but i'd lent it to my parents for a drive down to the south of france, they rang at a stop over and said it all worked well but seemed to beep at odd times, we ignored it and yes you guessed it they drove though. 30km lane and the pole didn't go up.... Embarassed
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The TAG for the SANEF has been updated and you can get one in the UK from
https://www.saneftolling.co.uk/how-does-it-work

I'm getting the Bip&Go next time I'm in France.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you get a doofer, I suggest tickettoll.com. You can pick up,your doofer from the Folkstone service Stop24. Very easy. Only used it in the summer but it was on the Black Weekend this year when I was on my own driving down to Bordeaux to pick up Mrs Dougie and the Dougettes. Saved loads of time and trouble, particularly at the exceptionally busy Le Mans and Tours. Will not travel in France without one any more.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
P.S. The doofers are free to use (ex. Tolls of course) for 21 days so just have to drop it in at Stop24 on way back or post it. There may be a slight charge when it comes to exchange rate but not sure how much that works out at.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We're also driving from Cardiff but leaving on Boxing Day morning. I would say, definitely get a doofer, it's much easier and when you're coming off the mountain, if it's really busy you will save loads of time. Just remember to stay to your left. There's also a huge supermarket just off the north exit of the motorway in Bourg OB. Its just about 5 minutes off the motorway and easy to find. You should be able to find it easily enough on google.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

a huge supermarket just off the north exit of the motorway in Bourg OB

Bourg en Bresse? Unlikely to be open on Sunday.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The supermarkets in Cluses don't open on Sunday's, although there is a large indoor fresh food market which does which is just behind the Carrefour and has a great selection of meats, cheese, veg, etc. Depending whether you're staying down in the village or at 1100 you have a couple of choices. There's the Carrefour between Verchaix and Samoens (pm me if you want directions) which is open until 12.30 or a small village supermarket just before you get to the gondola on the main road which is usually open a little later. There's also a supermarket at 1100, I don't know the opening hours but I'd be surprised if they weren't open. It's worth noting that the supermarkets in Cluses are quite a bit cheaper so it might be worth just getting a few things to get you over the first day and then do a big shop on Monday. There's a Lidl on the roundabout at the start of the climb out of Cluses and a large Carrefour in the centre of the high rise part of town which are both open until 8pm (although close for lunch).
As for the doofer, makes life easier,r rather than trying to get close enough to the machine with your car without curbing your alloys whilst your oh is falling out with you because her arms aren't long enough to reach the card slot, you can just drive through the middle of the lane.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@breeze11, if I was you I would get a sanef doofer, it will definitely save time you can get them free of charge through Eurotunnel (through your booking reference if that is the way you are going)/ski club GB if you are a member, you just need to pay a refundable deposit.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Have done the drive to Samoens several times now (it's just up the road) and agree the Sanef tag is great, has possibly saved our marriage as I am rubbish at getting close enough to the machine to pay with coins/card. So fun to be smug and go thro the fast lane at 30kph as all the French queue up!

The Aires are all fine. Don't expect a hot meal after 9 pm though in my experience, there was a huge scrum for rather bad baguettes at the first stop after 6 hours in a traffic jam last Feb half term, the Brits were practically rioting thinking of the delicious burger and chips they could have had back home.

Regarding food, don't you think you might miss out a bit if you don't try the local food? Thought it was only the Dutch who brought everything with them including plastic cheese and rubbery white bread for the week. Lots of choice in the shops in Samoens and a great market on Weds morning. The Carrefour in Samoens is usually open till 12 noon on Sunday in the school holidays. It's very cheap for diesel. The only thing we always bring even if we are flying is tea as French tea is not the same. Have a nice time!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Samoens Sherpa supermarket by the cinema is open 7-7 during peak season. Parking right outside.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy