Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier/La Grave road closure/Tunnel du Chambon

Poster: A snowHead
at least the weather is playing ball with allowing them to work, it could be snowing or something
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Was actually thinking after my last post that there's going to be an awful lot of smoke n'mirrors about this as many many people have a vested interest to promote the fact that a new road will be opening and how everything "will be well in the garden" rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The new road is looking absolutely fantastic. All the foundations are down and tarmacing is set to begin from both the Hautes-Alpes and Isere end on Monday and should be completed in a week's time. Congratulations to the teams who have worked on this project. It has meant that a road bridge near us over the Isere has not been reopened this year as the funds have gone to the Chambon road but we can live with that inconvenience. The road is looking a lot better than many of our local routes and I'm sure the people of the upper Romanche will be generous in their thanks for the Isere ratepayers who have largely funded this projects.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Article about the relief road from In the Snow. I see it says that traffic using it will be limited to vehicles up to 12 tons in weight and less than 8 meters long.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
They really are rather good at roads, aren't they?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@pam w, I'll agree with you on that one!

Can you imagine how long a project like that would take in the UK, what with planning authorities and then the likes of conservationists, lobbyists rare wildlife etc etc !

Though, and I know I'm being glass half empty on this, we'll have to see what it's like in the depth of winter.

Plus we were banking on the road not being ready as we would have been reimbursed 90 odd euros on our season passes Sad
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Plus we were banking on the road not being ready as we would have been reimbursed 90 odd euros on our season passes

Ah. So all that stuff about vested interests and political posturing was just smoke and mirrors. Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@pam w, Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Weathercam, Look on the bright side, we've got a L2A season pass for €90........ Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
As my L2A pass relies on the road for 3 free days in Montgenèvre, Puy Saint Vincent, Serre-Chevalier and Sestrières and is helpful for La Grave (if link isn't open) I'll be pleased to see it open too Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Some photos of the road taken yesterday on this Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/dlgsport.net/photos
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Hells Bells, have you like me clocked what @Claude B mentioned ?

How come he gets 3 days Montgenevre and Via Lattea and we don't and yet are not Serre Lift Co and LDA the same Evil or Very Mad ??
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Weathercam, yep, I have. The Monty and Via lattea are also still available to weekly pass holders. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
And 10 days at Alpe D'Huez and bizarrely 1 at Flaine. 2 free days at La Grave if the link is open and I think reductions at other times. Good deal IMO.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There was a report on the road on France 3 a couple of days ago that may be available online.
latest report
@Claude B, until this season coming up, we always had 3 days each at a variety of resorts (Montgenevre, Via Lattea, Puy St Vincent, Alpe d'Hues and L2A), but they've removed our passes for all of the VL/Montgenevre this year (removed Monty last season I thinj), but increased the price by quite some way, and given us season long access to L2A. Still have 3 days at ADH and PSV. Last season we had several free days to give out to friends we were skiing with, now they are half price days . We can choose a cheaper season pass with no access to any other resorts, and I'm starting to wish I had done so now. It really is bizarre, especially as weekly pass holders and people from other resorts still have those benefits.
ski holidays
The new relief road opens tomorrow (or possibly Tuesday) according to this report Madeye-Smiley

Video report on the new road:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3ey0tb_hautes-alpes-les-premieres-images-de-la-nouvelle-route-du-chambon-qui-ouvre-ce-lundi-ou-mardi_news
ski holidays
Another report here

The relief road looks to be "interesting" with some steep drop offs at the side down into the lake Shocked , I hope the users of the road will drive suitably carefully......
snow report
I'll try and get up there next week once it opens and see how it really is!
latest report
Alastair Pink wrote:
Another report here

The relief road looks to be "interesting" with some steep drop offs at the side down into the lake Shocked , I hope the users of the road will drive suitably carefully......

Most of the mountain roads round here are just strips of tarmac laid down on the old mule trails with no walls or barriers on much of the road with cliffs on one side. You just have to drive carefully.
snow conditions
So the chances of visiting la grave from oz this season looks possible?
ski holidays
Only with a local number plate,... not quiet sure how exactly they will police this, i.e. we're "05" keep you informed!
latest report
There are also plenty of cars around in the area that are not 'local' but are owned and driven by locals.
snow report
@Hells Bells, True....
latest report
They may let all 05 (Provence Alpes Cote d'Azur) and 38 (Rhone Alpes-Isère) through no questions, anyone else MAY have to show proof of residency????
snow conditions
As clear as mud then. Just wondering how this pans out for the refund on our season pass if this road is unavailable to us as users of a British registered car. One for my next email to Corinne.
snow conditions
KenX wrote:
Only with a local number plate,... not quiet sure how exactly they will police this, i.e. we're "05" keep you informed!

There is no such thing as a "local" number plate anymore.
latest report
davidof wrote:
KenX wrote:

There is no such thing as a "local" number plate anymore.

But will traffic be restricted to locals only? Back on 9th Oct you wrote "Latest news on the road. It is expected to have a capacity of 1500 vehicles per day, that is the same as the old road except for peak periods. It will be open to all car traffic not just locals. There is an avalanche control and clearance plan in place for this winter."

The In the Snow report I linked to on 13 Nov said "Traffic using it will be limited to vehicles up to 12 tons in weight and less than 8 meters long – which is too light and too short for most buses although minibuses should be OK. Two way traffic should be possible on the road although the speed limit will be 30km/h."

Has anyone seen any official statement about who may use the relief road? Puzzled
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
[quote="Alastair Pink"]
davidof wrote:

Has anyone seen any official statement about who may use the relief road? Puzzled

According to the Isere department website everyone will be able to use it but during transfer days in the ski season tourists will be advised / directed to the Frejus tunnel.

and here, official from the Hautes-Alpes department "it will be open for everyone": http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3ey0tb_hautes-alpes-les-premieres-images-de-la-nouvelle-route-du-chambon-qui-ouvre-ce-lundi-ou-mardi_news
snow report
Well I'm expecting this to be an ever changing scenario as I presume the route will be closely monitored throughout the coming season as there are just too many unknown variables that could affect it, such as snow fall, ice, avalanche threat, road breaking up etc etc

Everyone, well all the people with access to the media are naturally going to be putting a positive spin on this and that includes people I know in LG and even then I don't expect that they'll know the whole story.

And if this locals number plate thing is real that's not good for some guides who run Swedish plates!

So it's down to KenX to be our roving reporter Toofy Grin

But like I've mentioned before I don't intend to use this route in the winter, nor will I advise mates to use it. And the only interest we have is how it affects the possible rebates on our passes, sorry.
snow report
Reduced price passes are now available to book online, or at least they are on the FRench version of the page. The English version doesn't seem to be working, although I have already emailed them to tell them.
Details on here in English. http://www.serrechevalier-reservation.com/en/pass-frejus/fp-pass-tunnel-du-frejus-7201.html
Booking in French : http://www.serrechevalier-reservation.com/fr/pass-frejus/fp-pass-tunnel-du-frejus-7201.html

You also need to take with you
1 Taxe d'Habitation bill if you are an owner.
2. Rental contract if you are staying in accommodation.
3. and this form if staying with family and friends http://www.serrechevalier-reservation.com/fr/pass-frejus/fp-pass-tunnel-du-frejus-7201.html (third picture of the 3) which will need the number of the Tax d'Habitation account.

For those of you renting cars from airports you can complete the registration number after printing off the forms, you don't need to complete before purchase.
snow conditions
Charlotte (easiski) is driving down it from L2A to La Grave tomorrow, I'll let you know what she thinks, should see her tomorrow evening.
ski holidays
One thing to consider with a 30kph limit is the bottle neck it will cause and potential tail backs during peak periods.
snow conditions

snow report
Good find @Weathercam Very Happy
Did you have something to do with the exclusion of camper vans???!!!
snow report
Still doesn't say how they're going to regulate it, maybe they'll just leave the diversion signs up and hope that only people in the know will use it?
snow report
Should be opening today at 16:00 hours.........
ski holidays
KenX wrote:
Still doesn't say how they're going to regulate it, maybe they'll just leave the diversion signs up and hope that only people in the know will use it?

Regulate it in what way?
snow report
Dissuade non-local traffic, I suppose.

No trailers, either. No minibus, with or without trailer.

Impressive achievement....
ski holidays
@KenX, perhaps they aren't regulating it at all? I suspect if it gets busy they will close it.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy