Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Finding lost skis in powder

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

I have been into Alpine skiing for years, but have now decided to try something new and do some real powder skiing.

While I was searching through equipment needed, I was warned a couple of times about the issue of falling in powder and consequently loosing skis there (which is definitely what I don't want to happen in a couple of weeks). So the questions is what would you suggest - how to avoid this issue (besides not falling, obviously)? Do you use any kind of ski retriever or any other systems?

Cheers!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Crank your bindings up to 14. You may break your knee, but your blessed skis will still be attached Happy

Powder tracers or resqski Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Haha, I'd rather lose my skis then Wink Ok, cool..you using any of it? Does it work?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@thommyrider, you really usually just need to be aware of the direction the ski released in and that they can travel a loooong way in real powder. This doesn't always work, but for me, usually.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
+1 Resqski, I have them on all my skis.

Powder traces can work, but become an annoyance if taking skis on and off regularly.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Resqski does the job, but it is a struggle to put this bulky thing on the skis and have an additional device with you. I am looking for a better solution for years. I saw an article once about Atomic and someone else developing some new products for finding the skis. I will try to find it again, not sure where it was tough Puzzled
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@thommyrider & @SchneiderC, maybe http://powunity.com/#about would work.

Personally I go with @under a new name's approach.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thommyrider wrote:
..Do you use any kind of ski retriever or any other systems?...
No. I ride a lot in cat & heli powder and although I'm a snowboarder I dig out skis for people quite a bit. You don't need anything other than a bit of skill and persistence to find skis, which are almost always higher up than people think.

As far as falling's concerned, try to fall on steep stuff: it's easier to get back up and on a slope, and walking out of a flat is hard work.
Oh, and don't fall in the middle of a slope which is suffering from avalanche risk.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Powder tracers!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Powder tracers are fine if you rarely pop a ski. I have a friend who is always popping a ski (but refuses to tighten the bindings despite the fact that it's nearly always the ski popping first that takes him down grrrrr) and tucking that tracer away takes as much time again as just putting the ski back on.

Leashes are okay (I use them) but you really only want to use them in powder and you really really need to unclip when in any avalanche risk. Last thing you want in an avalanche is two metre planks with sharp edges flailing around you. On the other hand when in a crevassed region they can be useful if you drop into a crevasse. Once you've been rescued by your knowledgeable and well-equipped companions (Laughing) you don't want to be walking out with all those crevasses around (though better that than dead).

Not come across the Resqski - interesting. Not too cheap though especially if you have multiple sets of skis. How long do the batteries last?

I have often wondered about trying to find a really small metal detector?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@MadMountainMan, I have rubber "fuses" for my leashes that are meant to break under avi conditions. never tried em in anger but they look they would work...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@SchneiderC, I think you must be doing something wrong, if you think the Resqski type devices are a "Struggle" and "Bulky", and if you can't carry the credit card sized receiver, among your avi equipment, you probably shouldn't be in deep powder.

@philwig, I agree with skis being higher than expected, especially in yard sale type falls. If you manage to lose a snowboard, you have bigger problems than losing the snowboard. But I'll take walking straight to my skis with resqski type devices, and digging them out, rather than spending minutes/hours searching. I've seen someone have to pay for Heli trip off the mountain, after losing a ski, spending hours searching, and running out of daylight.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@MadMountainMan, the batteries last all season, and you only need the base units on different skis.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I was warned a couple of times about the issue of falling in powder and consequently loosing skis there (which is definitely what I don't want to happen in a couple of weeks).

To be honest, I've found this is much less of an issue these days. Simply because wider skis don't seem to have the same propensity to travel large distances under the snow. With old school long skinny skis the potential search area was much bigger. I had a couple of 30 minute searches back in the day. Haven't had problems in the last decade.

Clearly famous last words. Now touching anything that looks vaguely wooden.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@skimottaret, I like that idea. Have to see if I can rig something up.
ski holidays
[quote="jedster"]
Quote:

Now touching anything that looks vaguely wooden.

Steady on Happy Shocked
latest report
@MadMountainMan, I've used key rings in the past - heavy ones 'cos normal, thin ones aren't strong enough.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@thommyrider, you really usually just need to be aware of the direction the ski released in and that they can travel a loooong way in real powder. This doesn't always work, but for me, usually.

True that. I have indeed heard thousands of stories of people having lost their skis in powder and never find them again. Snow can be tricky, obviously!
latest report
clarky999 wrote:
@thommyrider & @SchneiderC, maybe http://powunity.com/#about would work.

Personally I go with @under a new name's approach.

Thanks for that, Clarky. Definitely looks interesting. I am not an expert, but seems to be that the audio signal could work. I wonder what the price is?
snow report
PowderAdict wrote:
@SchneiderC, I think you must be doing something wrong, if you think the Resqski type devices are a "Struggle" and "Bulky", and if you can't carry the credit card sized receiver, among your avi equipment, you probably shouldn't be in deep powder.

@philwig, I agree with skis being higher than expected, especially in yard sale type falls. If you manage to lose a snowboard, you have bigger problems than losing the snowboard. But I'll take walking straight to my skis with resqski type devices, and digging them out, rather than spending minutes/hours searching. I've seen someone have to pay for Heli trip off the mountain, after losing a ski, spending hours searching, and running out of daylight.

Well, I usually have a lot of things with me while powder skiing, so I do care about the size of any product I put there. Of course I am not saying that resqski is extremely too big, but it is bulky. I did some research and I found this article: https://www.wildsnow.com/15761/ski-tracer-atomic-finder-powder/ I have to admit I am a fan of Atomic, so of course I can't wait to see what are they doing. But both solutions seems to be much nicer and easier to use compared to anything that I found so far.
ski holidays
When you fall keep cool and keep calm.
Gather your wits and take a breather before you start thrashing about in the snow.
You'll usualy have one still with you, look around and see if there are any clue's to where it is.
As @philwig says look back up the slope that's where they usually are.
As you crawl back up slice the tail of the ski you still have across the likely trail.

You were lucky enough to find the powda .. so the ski should be easy.
I haven't used my tracers in years .. I wonder if I can still find them.
snow report
If I have time I'll cut my GoPro footage from my trip last year in Val'd'isere, lost the ski and did as @DrLawn, suggest above.

After 20 minutes , lots of sweat , lots of swearing and shouts from a nearby lift I realised they weren't pulling the P@ss they were trying to tell me my missing ski was about 500 metres down the slope it looked like a little matchstick

After two attempts at using one ski to ski down the slope I realiised it was better to use it as a sledge through the powder Blush
ski holidays
http://powunity.com/
ski holidays
@RattytheSnowRat, see above wink
snow conditions
Powder traces every time. I have done all the things that @DrLawn suggests and still spent more than an hour looking! Skis can travel an amazing distance in completely unpredictable directions under loose powder. Traces are a pain to use, but it's better than standing up to your thighs in pow and not knowing where to look next!
ski holidays
Long ribbon up the ski trouser attached to the ski.
latest report
Where's DG when you need him ?
snow report
Traces work to a degree though if your skis go a fair way and/or deep it wouldn't be enough.

Leashes are a more guaranteed option.

Interesting links in the thread to new electronic devices. As yet I'm not sure they are proven in the field?

I've had a couple of poor "experiences" and we lost my sons ski (late in the day so short of searching time)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I wonder where my leashes are. haven't carried them in a good 12 years but skied rather a lot of powder... snowHead
latest report
@Layne,
Quote:
Friend of mine had a leashed ski nearly break his back. He was out touring on his own. Not good.
ski holidays
I cant find a link for the fuse I bought from Italy but here is something similar available in the UK from Jon

http://thepisteoffice.com/index.php/the-piste-office-store/ski-leashes-traces-ties/b-d-ski-leash_55684bf72b3c5-detail.html

I had a touring ski come off in Japan (with no brake) and it went about 150meters straight down after about an hour searching saw it with a video camera and highest zoom sticking up at an odd angle to the trees, thought it was a fallen tree. it was sporty skiing on one foot down a 40deg tree field to find it Toofy Grin and decided leashes are a good thing
snow conditions
found a link http://www.maruelli.com/SAFELOOP/MARUELLI%20SAFE-LOOP.htm to the rubber fuses
ski holidays
@Steilhang, lightweight.

When I started skiing everyone used leashes all the time.
snow report
Steilhang wrote:
@Layne,
Quote:
Friend of mine had a leashed ski nearly break his back. He was out touring on his own. Not good.

I've nearly broken both my legs, my back, my neck, I once nearly split my skull in two.... nearly

Funny how the geezer was alone... bigging things up mebbe

Very Happy Toofy Grin Skullie
snow conditions
Having been whacked by a leashed ski a few years ago I find the B and D leashes very good and way better than short unsprung leashes.
ski holidays
I'm still struggling with the whole needing assistance to find the skis. Puzzled

Although we did have a lengthy search for one of shep's noodles a couple of year ago, powder was so light we were searching on the right axis, just not far enough.

Why is anyone falling over in powder anyway?
latest report
Layne wrote:
Interesting links in the thread to new electronic devices. As yet I'm not sure they are proven in the field?

I've used the resqski system for 3 years, and it has always worked when tested. But then again, with any of these systems range is the issue, but I know the resqski works within the designed range. Of course if a ski goes 150m down the slope it is not going to help immediately, but you would sweep the slope Avalanche transceiver style to find it.

As far as I aware the Pow Unity Neverlose and the Atmoic Ski Tracer are not commercially available as yet. However, the more manufacturers that enter this market the better, from the innovation viewpoint, but I am not sure there is the potential market many different systems. Ideally we would want a international standard, similar to Avalanche transceivers, so that any ski can be found by anyone else's detector.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 24-09-15 15:36; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
thommyrider wrote:
Hi guys,

I have been into Alpine skiing for years, but have now decided to try something new and do some real powder skiing.

While I was searching through equipment needed, I was warned a couple of times about the issue of falling in powder and consequently loosing skis there (which is definitely what I don't want to happen in a couple of weeks). So the questions is what would you suggest - how to avoid this issue (besides not falling, obviously)? Do you use any kind of ski retriever or any other systems?

Cheers!

I have tried different things in my life - from leashes to resqski to some homemade devices (which actually worked the best). After having seen Powunity at ISPO, I think their device will actually be by far the best thing for finding skis in powder. I checked the product of Atomic as well and I think it won't work as good since we talk about bluetooth connection is snow (that is why i heard they won't put it on the market this year). From my experience a loud sound signal will work in most cases, those guys just have to tweak it to the right frequency.
Anyway, I am eager to try their product as soon as it is available and I can make a review about it. Here is it written how it works: http://powunity.com/
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
I'm still struggling with the whole needing assistance to find the skis. Puzzled

Although we did have a lengthy search for one of shep's noodles a couple of year ago, powder was so light we were searching on the right axis, just not far enough.

Didn't you just answer your own question?
snow report
@Layne, not really. Lengthy=5 minutes maybe, but one of those days when 5 minutes were extra precious snowHead and if we'd followed our search rules rather than arguing that they couldn't have travelled so far, we'd have got them straight away.

it's usually not that difficult.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy