Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kitzbuheler Alpen Weather and Snow Report 2015/16

Poster: A snowHead
Another YouTube film from Roel Hilhorst, this time of the 66 Jegerwurz from the Jochberg side of the 3S down to Jochberg gondola mid station.

http://youtube.com/v/TMwbczY-f0Q
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Plenty of good skiing there at the moment although like others have said the ski routes seem to be closed more often than open
The 'Family' Streif was in lovely condition today on the ski home

Lovely piste in Bichlalm too although it wasn't open past the mid station today for some reason.

A strange area that seems. Just one piste, with an old fashioned (but newly installed) 2 seater chair. No links. can't see the point really?

And certainly 2 years ago, that side of the valley at that height was totally bare. Does it have snow making?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's a designated ski touring/off piste area that's why there's only one piste.
No it doesn't have snow making
Apart from the piste down it's left 'au naturel'
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just a question about getting around on the pistes at Kitzbuhel.
The blue run 16a (and 28a) is shown as closed. How would you get from Fleckalm to Pengelstein without going on a black run?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Drammeister, you can get the bus easily to Pengelstein to guarantee that
Takes 22 mins and runs every 10 mins in the morning (not sure about later in the day but I'd guess it was similar apart from over lunch)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Drammeister, where did you see 16a/28a closed? I can't believe it. That is the main run down from the Steinbergkogel. When I looked at the piste status on the Kitzbühel web site just now, it doesn't list these a variations at all. I expect you can just ski the 28a piste to the D7 Kasereck chairlift as usual.

To get up onto the Steinbergkogel the old C7 Jufenalm chairlift is the easiest way (perhaps with a slight push if you don't have enough speed passing the bottom of the C4 Sonnenrast lift).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
espri wrote:
@Drammeister, where did you see 16a/28a closed? I can't believe it. That is the main run down from the Steinbergkogel. When I looked at the piste status on the Kitzbühel web site just now, it doesn't list these a variations at all. I expect you can just ski the 28a piste to the D7 Kasereck chairlift as usual.

To get up onto the Steinbergkogel the old C7 Jufenalm chairlift is the easiest way (perhaps with a slight push if you don't have enough speed passing the bottom of the C4 Sonnenrast lift).

That was on the Bergfex website, so may not be that reliable. But The Kitzbuhel website is not that informative and still has last years piste map!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bergfex does show 16a and 28a closed. But certainly the main runs on 16 and 28 are open. That would close getting back from Pengelstein if they were ever closed. In effect the whole area is open apart from some runs of bergfex they have named as a,b etc. Only one on the horn, and the run off the horn that are actually closed
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I see the problem IF they were closed as the Brunn (27) run is only accessed from a short but steep black run, though John Barr (I think) on here suggested it is poleable from 16 - or the corner can be cut a bit. Often wasn't too much of an issue as Brunn didn't have snow making until this year (so was closed on my last visit) but now it accesses a new area.

I will have to have a look in 3 weeks and make suggestions to the lift company about how to get to the top part of 27 without skiing a black Smile
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
buchanan101 wrote:
I see the problem IF they were closed as the Brunn (27) run is only accessed from a short but steep black run, though John Barr (I think) on here suggested it is poleable from 16 - or the corner can be cut a bit.

That is in the other direction than I am asking about.

jafa wrote:
Bergfex does show 16a and 28a closed. But certainly the main runs on 16 and 28 are open. That would close getting back from Pengelstein if they were ever closed. In effect the whole area is open apart from some runs of bergfex they have named as a,b etc.

16a is the blue run from Steinbergkogel towards Pengelstein. Run 16 is the run in the other direction.

I haven't been to Kitzbuhel before, so to clarify...
So am I right in thinking that if 16a is closed, the only way to get from Fleckalm to Pengelstein is via a black run?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Drammeister wrote:
buchanan101 wrote:
I see the problem IF they were closed as the Brunn (27) run is only accessed from a short but steep black run, though John Barr (I think) on here suggested it is poleable from 16 - or the corner can be cut a bit.

That is in the other direction than I am asking about.

jafa wrote:
Bergfex does show 16a and 28a closed. But certainly the main runs on 16 and 28 are open. That would close getting back from Pengelstein if they were ever closed. In effect the whole area is open apart from some runs of bergfex they have named as a,b etc.

16a is the blue run from Steinbergkogel towards Pengelstein. Run 16 is the run in the other direction.

I haven't been to Kitzbuhel before, so to clarify...
So am I right in thinking that if 16a is closed, the only way to get from Fleckalm to Pengelstein is via a black run?

You can't get to the black run that you see - that is the one I was talking about. It runs from Pengelstein as 16a on this map - shown black and that runs the other way. The ONLY way from top of Fleck to Pengelstein (avoiding poling to get to 27) is via the top of the Steinbergkogel (up C1 - best as fast lift) or C7 (slow 3 seater and busy) and a blue run to the bottom of D7 lift. See the linked map. (This doesn't show the new 27b and 27c runs but they aren't relevant unless you wanted to pole to get to 27 shown

http://www.snow-forecast.com/pistemaps/Kitzbuhel_pistemap_full.jpg
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Drammeister, I guess the confusion from the Bergfex site probably comes about because it somehow assumes that pistes it cannot find on the Kitzbühel site must be closed. But rest assured, piste 28a will be open (unless the whole area is closed by abysmal weather) and you can happily ski it to take the D7 Kasereck lift up to the Pengelstein.

As VolklAttivaS5 said earlier, you can also reach the Pengelstein by taking a bus to the Skirast and just going up the D5 Pengelstein I gondola and D3 Pengelstein II chairlift. But skiing via the Steinbergkogel is more interesting.

The winter panorama on the Bergbahn Kitzbühel web site is this year's version, including the new Brunn chairlift.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This year's map:
http://www.haus-roland.at/images/downsized/24/bf8d21b45e5c6b24_3ab3b6b5cdddcf28.jpg
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For what it is worth (since I am not there to back up my claim), I have never seen the 16 or 28 closed and I have been when there has been very little snow. It is such an integral part of the area that I wouldn't have thought they would ever have it shut. The only thing that springs to mind is that it is quite exposed (albeit reasonably wide) so, f shut, it could be due to high winds maybe. As I said before, I am not there but can only give my two-penneth!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@espri, thanks, that is clear now!
I was looking at the printable pdf map on their website before. That is still last year's.

We'll be in St Johann next week and I'd like a day in Kitz as I've not skied there before.
We'll also have day trips to Ellmau and Waidring. Conditions looking pretty good from the webcams!
snow conditions
Drammeister wrote:
Conditions looking pretty good from the webcams!

Yes, conditions aren't bad and more snow supposed to be arriving tonight. I've been skiing on the Steinplatte at Waidring with a friend for the last few days and we have enjoyed it (a bit windy this afternoon).
snow report
Why are 40 and 43 still closed? They were open two years ago when snow was awful (though I suppose that was at the bottom). I assume no snow making, but they are just about the only pistes still shut
snow report
And why have they made 75 in to a black run? I know it was a tricky red, but not THAT bad, but it will stop a lot of people going to Pass Thurn as they will think they can't get back
snow conditions
The black is closed due to lack of snowmaking lower down. The top part of the red is open down to the top of the Maeirl Gondola, but not below. Im assuming as its not fully open, they say closed.
snow conditions
Piste 75 is still red everywhere I look, piste map (paper and online), piste status report online. 75a, "round the back" of the 2000er is black.

I skied in the Kitzbühel area today, from Jochberg to the Talsen chairlift F5 and back. Conditions were good, especially when the sun came out after a cloudy morning.
ski holidays
No it is black on the interactive piste map - newly so this year... http://map.bergbahn-kitzbuehel.at/

oh no! It has been changed back today - honest. I know the one round the back is black. I think John Barr's guide said that red 75 should be black and is actually harder than the black.
snow conditions
buchanan101 wrote:
I think John Barr's guide said that red 75 should be black and is actually harder than the black.

I could agree with that. I've never liked the descent to the bottom stations of the lifts much rolling eyes
snow conditions
espri wrote:
buchanan101 wrote:
I think John Barr's guide said that red 75 should be black and is actually harder than the black.

I could agree with that. I've never liked the descent to the bottom stations of the lifts much rolling eyes

That was the part I think could be called black. I can't remember the rest being difficult at all

Just noticed on interactive piste map that they've added a ski route there - Zweitausender. I remember that being an off piste mogul field. Says it's closed though...

http://map.bergbahn-kitzbuehel.at/

Ski routes springing up all over the place (or converting blacks...) Don't remember one to the left of F9 either
ski holidays
buchanan101 wrote:
Just noticed on interactive piste map that they've added a ski route there - Zweitausender.

Yes, sometimes I have preferred skiing down that to following the crowds on hard polished piste 75.
snow conditions
Had a fantastic day yesterday skiing around the Penglestein area. The new 27s are excellent.

As far a conditions go, the snow was firm, grippy and didn't cut up that much throughout the day. The Strief was in superb condition even at the end of the day. A bit of a motorway but the best I have seen it in many a visit.

It is snowing in the town right now so I guess it will be piling it down up top. Heading out in a few minutes since a little behind after celebrating being back in Kitzbuhel at the Londoner, O'Flanagan's and The Jegerewirt until far later than planned.
latest report
I think forecast isn't much until tonight; snow at the moment is not showing up as much at all on Bergfex...

I bet you are missing the slushy moguls at the bottom of the Streif at the end of the day. Two years ago it was a nightmare as the race route was shut so everyone went down the track (where the race had to go too)
ski holidays
Weather today made for difficult skiing for me. Near whiteout at some points, cloudy all day. Went over to Jochberg for a while and the piste down was pretty ordinary. Enjoyed the day but not my favourite type of skiing. Still better than not going.
snow conditions
Once again, the weather was not good. Actually worse than yesterday! I think I have learnt a lot from the last couple of days because really didn't like that sort of situation Nd would have normally not bothers going up. As it is, went up and had a day that I grew in confidence even though I cough barely see anything for the most of it. Hopefully better tomorrow but f not, we are out skiing, not sat at home watch Jeremy Kyle and Homes Under The Hammer, so we are happy.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It looked horrid on the cams. I've just bought a pair of pink Oakley goggles (the lens) as they say that they are the best for the worst conditions (yellow also but they have a narrower range of use). I've always struggled in those sort of conditions though I guess most do.

I actually hope never to have to use them. An expensive anti fog deterrent...
snow report
I'm off for a long weekend to Kitzbuhel arriving 3rd March , couple of questions. We are staying at the Hotel Resch, which I am hoping is walking distance to the lifts.

a) recommend itineraries/bump runs/blacks for good skiers looking for a challenge, probably not taking any of our off piste gear
b) recommended restaurants for Fri/Sat night? Is the restaurant at the Resch any good?
c) place for an apres ski drink? We are both closer to 50 than 20 so "nice" rather than "rowdy"

Thanks alot,

Greg
latest report
You are about 100 metres from the Londoner Bar. So no too far to stagger home from.

The main gondola is a gentle up hill walk about five minutes I suspect in ski boots.

The main blacks you will find are off Steinbergkogel and the Pengelstein area. You`ll soon get to know them, Kitz piste map is pretty self explanatory.

Theres so many different local fare restaurants within 5 minutes walk that Id hate to recommend one over the other. Theres even a nice Chinese about 200 metres away down the hill past the Londoner.

I cannot comment on the food in the Hotel per say as Ive not eaten there. But I cannot honestly say Ive ever had a bad meal anywhere. Maybe didn't like something because it wasn't what I thought I was getting, but the quality is always good.
snow report
@jafa, thanks! Looking forward to skiing a new area (well last time I went was in 1990!!)
ski holidays
That Chinese is excellent - probably better than any I have eaten at in Wales.
snow report
@kitenski, like @jafa says, the main blacks are off Steinbergkogel. Also don't miss the off piste runs under the chair leading up from Ehrenbachgraben to Steinbergkogel and the area they call powder heaven, also leading off Steibergkogel. All of it very enjoyable but not necessarily butt clenching stuff.
I love Kitzbühel!
ski holidays
@Steilhang, thanks, I can see that area on the piste map and looks like 90 Sedlboden itinerary is open also in the same area off Steinbergkogel.

I can't see Steibergkogel on the piste map? I see an area at the top of Aurach with what looks like a mountain railway and a single itinery of it, is that the area you mean?

I'm looking at this piste map:

http://www.bergbahn-kitzbuehel.at/media/bbagkitz_winterpano2014-15_kitzskiruft_a4_10-07-2014_print.pdf
ski holidays
Anyone out in Westendorf with update on snow wink
ski holidays
@kitenski,
Quote:
I can't see Steibergkogel on the piste map?
It's there, at least on the map in Bergfex. The actual Steinbergkogel & Powder Heaven used to be served by an ancient one man chair at the left of the C1 chair. That got taken down a few years ago. In the meantime Powder Heaven has turned into an official itinerary ( number 90 ). Anyway, all good fun. The other itineraries leading down to the Jochberg side are also good fun ( 34 & 33 ), but with 33 you can end up having a looong wait for a bus in Hechenmoos, so beware!
ski holidays
@Steilhang, Ah got it now, thanks! 33 appears shut but 34 open so looks like I can get lifts back from 34???

Let's hope the forecast snow arrives!
snow conditions
@kitenski, Yep, a short walk gets you back into the action at the bottom of 34.
Snow is coming!
latest report
@Steilhang, excellent thanks, I can see a plan forming, looks like my friends who wouldn't ski 34 could take the new 3S lift and meet us at the top of Worzhoe then and we could all ski the around there before heading back!

How long would you say it takes to get back from the Pass Thurn area on lifts to Kitzbuhel, assuming my friends speed as average UK skiers who can just about ski reds?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy