Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kitzbuheler Alpen Weather and Snow Report 2015/16

Poster: A snowHead
buchanan101 wrote:
Going out 27th Feb for a week. Staying with Crystal in the Karlberger. Can't believe the location. As close to ski in/lift out as you can get in the Tirol (obergurgl excepted where I'm going 2 weeks later).

How is the family Streif? I'm amazed how (relatively) good it can be first thing in the day even with rubbish snow, though the year I went (2014) it was terrible late on... The year the downhill was diverted...

It was the first and last run I skied last Friday - and was surprisingly good both times. I had expected it to be scraped and lumpy by late afternoon, but it was in pretty good nick - especially considering the state of some of the other valley runs in the area.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I note that the new Brunn has eased a bottleneck on the way back from Penglestein - the 4 seater D1 is not now the only way back.. they just need to work on better ways to avoid the flat blue 16 back from the top of D1 and D2...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Has the latest snow reached st Johann and made a difference to the slopes?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jirac18 wrote:
Has the latest snow reached st Johann and made a difference to the slopes?

Yes, a few more runs are open, but not yet everything. I'm skiing here this Sunday (first time for the season) so I'll update you after that.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Today I was in the Kitzbühel/Kirchberg area, starting out as usual from the Fleckalmbahn. Our skiing was concentrated around the new Brunn chairlift which my friend hadn't skied before. This time, as well as the three pistes serving the lift, we were able to ski all of piste 27, down to the bottom of the Pengelstein I gondola, and that is a very enjoyable run. Here is a photo of the bottom station of the Brunn lift...

The only problem we had was being caught under the many snow cannons/lances which were blasting out more snow onto the pistes. In general the snow was in good shape, with only occasional scraped patches. The weather was colder than it has been previously. It snowed lightly for much of the day and the light was flat. This is piste 31 beside the Usterwies hut where we stopped to warm up...

Where we were skiing most lifts were running (but not the Hieslegg and Hochsaukaser). No real lift queues.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
What a difference a couple of weeks make! Keep 'em coming. Thanks
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Here is the report on St Johann snow condition, as requested by jirac18.

The board at the bottom says that some pistes are still closed - but as far as I could tell everything was open. It advertises 80cm at the top, but I was on an off piste training course and I can assure you that I face planted in snow far deeper than that. In the last few days St Johann has gone from being a disaster to being awesome!

There's a steep section on piste 4b that was a bit thin, but apart from that all the pistes were great and the off-piste was pretty good. The new snow off-piste was great, the only problem was the lack of a good base, but once the current snow settles in we'll be fine.

We decided to eat inside at lunch time.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looks great
Looking forward to coming out on 30th
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thanks for the update that looks fantastic and long may it continue. We're in SJ from 13 feb so barring disastrous wether from here on I'm sure they'll be plenty for us to play in!! Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The second day of my off piste training course was in Fieberbrunn. The sun was shining, the snow was deep and soft, and although people flock to Fieberbrunn for the off-piste, there was enough for everyone (and more).

snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I skied with Snowhead @jaffa in Kitzbuhel today. Light was flat and the snow was a bit heavy due to mild temperatures.

I noticed that piste 56 (which used to be a black run down to the Italian restaurant in Aschau) has been changed to a ski route, which probably means less (or no) snow making, and less (or no) piste bashing. Shame - it was one of my favourites. But we did ski everyones new favourite - red 27b to the new Brunn lift - several times.

snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
let us know what the snow is like after the next week of warm weather please

and any more updates always welcome
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lots of snow in Kitzbuhel but it is warm so most of the pistes are bumped up and quite slow going.
Haven't gone in any off piste as I had imagined it to be not very nice.

Talking of off piste what's this Bichlalm 'touring' area then? I might pop over another day it's meant to get colder again tomorrow.
I shall be glad as it's too warm for my tastes really
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nice day today for me
Snow was nice all day and this afternoon definitely felt a little colder (but still warm for the time of year I guess)
This afternoon there were a lot of bumps about but easy skiing as they are soft but not slushy
All very pleasing

Under the lifts the ground is starting to show through so you wouldn't really want a prolonged warm spell here without any new snow

Pistes are in good shape though and I've not seen any stones or bare patches
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The Bichlalm is south of Kitzbühel on the Kitzbüheler Horn (east) side of the valley. There is a new chairlift there and from the top of that you can ride up in a cattrack (to the Stuckkogel). Needs an extra ticket and probably best to book - see the Kitz web site (in German - couldn't find the English version). Whether the current conditions make it worthwhile (or advisable - avalanche level 3), I cannot say.
ski holidays
@espri, thanks. Yes, the off piste might be horrible as been warm. Probably!
How long does it take to skin up from the top of the chair instead of taking the cat?
And if the snow is minging then I guess there's the option of skiing back down the cat track.

Re avalanche level I thought they had designed it based on the US/Canada 'in bounds' off piste so therefore ungroomed unpatrolled but avalanche controlled? Of course it could still happen anywhere but I thought it was marketed as a 'safe' touring area?
latest report
Potentially considering a long weekend in Kitzbuhel early March. I've got flights sorted to Munich. Can anyone recommend a hotel that would do Thurs to Sunday accommodation for two?
snow report
I've just asked around and Bichlalm is not very nice snow as rocks showing etc so I might do a little walk up from the mid station on the Horn instead as that's been suggested as an alternative
ski holidays
@kitenski, you want to be looking on the tourist info website on accommodation search for that
ski holidays
I've no idea how long it takes to skin up; I haven't skied the area myself. I imagine the area is "relatively" safe and it is unlikely that the snowcat will operate if the lift company expected dangerous conditions. I haven't been on the Horn pistes this year either but, as it is also south facing, I wouldn't think conditions would be much different there.
snow report
@espri, yes I was thinking the snow on the Horn would be the same situation

I've seen some people skinning up the pistes on the Hahnenkamm side they must start from somewhere
snow report
@VolklAttivaS5, yes I could do that but I often find personal recommendations where folk have stayed before much more useful, I've come across some fantastic places from other snowheads previously!
snow report
@kitenski, usually yes but as you are looking for less than a 7 day stay then it is a lot easier IMO to search first on the tourist information website for the accommodations that offer that as not all of them might.
That's what I would do, get the names with availability for what you want as you've already got flights booked then search the name on here to see what anyone has to say about it before you commit.
snow report
@kitenski, I am staying at the Apartment Hagsteiner this half term. I found it on http://www.alphome.at . Another friend of mine is staying in Top 22, http://www.vacation-apartments.com/53318.htm?sid=75c06f3db5d0999a95bde19a3740706f#calendar_anchor at half term and only staying 4 nights. I think that is really good as a half week in half term week is really rare.

Anyway, both are within walking distance from the H'kamm gondola, Top 22 a bit closer. If feeling lazy, from the Hgsteiner, I will be able to walking past the Intersport and catch the bus up.
ski holidays
Dougie wrote:
@kitenski, I am staying at the Apartment Hagsteiner this half term. I found it on http://www.alphome.at . Another friend of mine is staying in Top 22, http://www.vacation-apartments.com/53318.htm?sid=75c06f3db5d0999a95bde19a3740706f#calendar_anchor at half term and only staying 4 nights. I think that is really good as a half week in half term week is really rare.

Anyway, both are within walking distance from the H'kamm gondola, Top 22 a bit closer. If feeling lazy, from the Hgsteiner, I will be able to walking past the Intersport and catch the bus up.

Staying with Crystal at the Karlberger... Just the Best Western hotel between us and the Hahnenkamm gondola and supposedly ski back to the chalet; can't believe a catered chalet can be that well placed in Kitz...
snow report
Snowed all day today from about 11am and still going now. Much cooler too so the pistes have got new snow falling on the top of them. Should be good fun tomorrow.
Seems to be cooler temperatures forecast for tomorrow too
snow conditions
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Snowed all day today from about 11am and still going now. Much cooler too so the pistes have got new snow falling on the top of them. Should be good fun tomorrow.
Seems to be cooler temperatures forecast for tomorrow too

Heaviest snow is forecast tonight. And tomorrow night.

Seen a snow cannon running on the Hahnenkamm webcam but am confused with the orientation of the picture...
latest report
http://www.bergfex.com/kitzbuehel-kirchberg/webcams/c2557/

If this was the one, this is north of the Gondola, at the bottom of the ganslernhang chairlift. basically as you ski down, off to the left of the final piste into Kitz. Bottom of the slalom course.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No it was the video cam at the top of the Hahnenkamm - just seemed to be pointing in a different direction than usual... never mind...

I remember that chair you are showing going higher up - back when there was just a cable car - was that and a T bar to get to the top..
latest report
buchanan101 wrote:
Dougie wrote:

Staying with Crystal at the Karlberger... Just the Best Western hotel between us and the Hahnenkamm gondola and supposedly ski back to the chalet; can't believe a catered chalet can be that well placed in Kitz...

I think the Karlberger is the chalet at the bottom of blue 20. I have been to Kitz for the last 10 years (minus one year due to illness!) and I have never skied it. The locals call it The Back Door or Back Passage. The Einsiedelei restaurant from the webcam on www.kitz.net is just off that run and is apparently very nice for a stop before the town.
latest report
Yes I think that is right. Not necessarily have to use that run...I assume it's mostly a road. The main run back finishes just over the road anyway.
snow conditions
buchanan101 wrote:
Yes I think that is right. Not necessarily have to use that run...I assume it's mostly a road. The main run back finishes just over the road anyway.

You're absolutely correct. Sorry, but I just meant as close to ski-in, ski-out as you can get by skiing Blue 20. The Family streif and nursery slope are just across the road as well as that really loud Austrian bar that plays all the Euro classics (Das Rote Pferd, etc.)

Here is a YouTube of the Blue 20. The film starts on the Blue 36 and turns off onto the Blue 20 around 7 mins ish.

http://youtube.com/v/6cNSaD86zKc
snow report
Thanks!

I assume the Karlberger is the building on your left right at the end of the run.

Mostly a road I see, but an alternative way back - assuming it is open. wasnt 2 years ago and isn't right now. no snow making..
snow conditions
Lovely snow today
I skied from Kitzbuhel to Going in the Ski Welt, back as far as Brixen then got the bus.
Long day as got the 8.45 lift and finished at 16.45
The snow was good everywhere I thought the only places that looked a bit thin here and there were Going and Elmau
latest report
The base lifts at the Horn were closed this morning due to a technical problem so I took the opportunity to get the bus to Bichlalm instead to see what it was like.

The new Bichlalm restaurant at the top of the new chair is divine. Really nice and worth a visit.
The snow was deep up at Bichlalm and I got some nice turns in with the snow spraying up. It needs skiing out and more snow on the top though as although the snow was deep when it came away you could see the muddy field underneath.

The fences everywhere are a bit disconcerting as well.
snow report
Finished the week by skiing back to Kitzbuhel, the 'Family' Streif was in very good condition thanks to the new snow
The bottom bit is still soft as its still unseasonably warm I think.
Who knows what the rest of February will bring
snow report
how much of the kitzbuhel ski area is currently open. are thinking as kitzbuhel as an option around 12 March but slightly worried to see a 1/3 of runs on one website being closed.
snow report
most are open; some have been closed early morning for snow bashing.

I look at this map - mainly horn resort runs and some of the ski routes down to the valley between Kitz and Jochberg closed, and the one to Aschau. 40 and 43 closed - short with no snow making

http://map.bergbahn-kitzbuehel.at/
snow report
This is another good one.

http://www.bergfex.com/kitzbuehel-kirchberg/schneebericht/

But as you can see a lot of the unpisted routes at the bottom are closed, and they seem to be marked down as closed on a daily basis. So they aren't exactly doing themselves any favours by continually showing routes as closed when they aren't actually pisted routes anyway.

Kitz is always one of the first to open and the last to close of the non glacier resorts. Middle of April most years there still skiing either Pass Thurn or Pengelstein areas.
ski holidays
Plenty of good skiing there at the moment although like others have said the ski routes seem to be closed more often than open
The 'Family' Streif was in lovely condition today on the ski home

Lovely piste in Bichlalm too although it wasn't open past the mid station today for some reason.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy