Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lessons or family ski?

Poster: A snowHead
Our 2 little ones will be 4 & 5 this winter and are both comfortable trailing mum & dad on the pistes. For weekend ski days is there any benefit in putting them in group lessons or will they progress just as well skiing with us? Last year it was family ski at weekends and lessons during a week in Siviez and they seemed to enjoy both equally.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Why not stick with what you did last year? They may not progress as well if they spend time skiing with you but they may want to spend some time with mum and dad. And enjoy it while you can. My pair just want to speed off down the hill and leave us oldies for dead.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Unless they are training for something or aiming for the Olympics why do they need to progress all the time?

In my view lessons are a means to an end- the end being us all skiing together happily. If you are there already then brilliant- enjoy it while you can. Mine are teens now and I treasure the memories of us skiing together as a family when they were little.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think it depends on your attitude rather than theirs. Are you happy to ski in a manner and at a pace which they will enjoy and continue to improve (so you can ski as a family in later years in the kind of terrain you love), or will there be family frustrations because you want to push on at a pace which isn't good for the kids' enjoyment or development?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
^^this and at 5 years the transitions from snowplough bombers to a mix between decent turning and snowplough turning/braking can be achieved.
So maybe get them going through school and then ski with them a lot.
Our kids have done 2 weeks of ski school per year and then quite a bit of skiing on top of that.
This is Mabel at 5yrs:

http://youtube.com/v/A8cu4SPnVZo

http://youtube.com/v/hT5bCjVf9ag
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
For weekend ski days is there any benefit in putting them in group lessons or will they progress just as well skiing with us?

Answering this question directly it is impossible to say. On the lessons front progress would depend on the instructor, size of the group, your childrens willingness to learn. On your front, it depends if try to enforce what they've learnt in lessons and/or challenge them, or indeed if you want to do that.

As others have said there are other questions to be asked. Namely, how important to you is it that they do progress and are you happy to reign yourself in order to fit in with their needs?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Half and half. Get them 2 or 3, 3-hr private lessons, ski with mum and dad the rest of the time.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BobinCH, as suggested already by dobby, if weekday ski school and weekend family ski worked last time, then go with that again.
As the years go on the routine will vary as your kids progress.
Enjoy pottering around with your kids now - it doesn't last long.
Soon they will be terrifying you with their speedy antics and wild things in the parks.
And then, of course, they will want to try boarding . . . Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Keep them skiing at as low a level as possible for as long as possible. Doesn't take long before you won't see them for dust.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

And then, of course, they will want to try boarding . . .

I thought boarding was for the older generations judging by the age of boarders I see on the slopes.

My son found my old mono ski in the garage and wants to try that out. Sadly he is far too big to get into my one piece dayglow suit.

I suppose they all want to emulate their parents.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
my 6yro said she wants ski/snowboard lessons every day of the next holiday, it appears she doesn't want to ski with us at all Wink

We try to have weekends as a family, and will probably do that next holiday, put her in group lessons for week days, possibly a snowboard lesson or two, but will try keep the weekend time for us so she can show us what she's learnt in the week.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Little Martin, your 6yro might possibly prefer ski school because its more fun.
6 year olds want play, not sport.
So, go for lots of fun tree routes (always easy for kids with their short skis and hell for adults with long skis - but watching dad/mum struggle is half the fun), go where the kiddy instructors take their class, lots of stops for drinks and chocolate and time to make snowmen or make slides.
Regain your inner child and start having fun.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I somehow suspect that BobinCH and the Mrs won't be struggling through the trees. wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Jonpim, almost certainly fun is the reason she wants to be in group lessons - kids her own age rather than myself acting her age, and she knows they will visit the fun park several times along with the air bag, "daddy can I have 20 euros so I can have more goes on the air bag" was the quote last time Wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Last year it was family ski at weekends and lessons during a week in Siviez and they seemed to enjoy both equally.

Sounds a good balance to me.
We've tended to do 5 x 2 hour private lessons in a week for our two (or occasionally a group of four). Meaning that they get plenty of skiing with us and some concentrated lesson time.
ski holidays
Thanks for the feedback. Picked up the Stockli rental skis to much excitement this week. Just need some snow now!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy