Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and the Espace Killy 2015/16 (Useful Links Post 1)

Poster: A snowHead
@dogwatch, flight to Geneva; train to Bourg SM (probably a few changes); bus from Bourg to Val.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Train; 2 changes about 3.5 hours, and about £60 return fare.
GVA -> Geneva Central -> BSM.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks but doesn't work very well. 1st EZ flight LGW -> GVA arrives 10:45. Next train 11:33 which is too close, after that 14:33 arrives Bourg 1822. But the last midweek bus from Bourg leaves 1545. The only way it can work is BA 0650 from LHR at twice the price plus the problem of getting to LHR for that hour.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@dogwatch, There is a Tarentaise Transfers page on Facebook (I'm not a FBer) where you can look for availability, the transfer companiess are still working (mainly cos the buses aren't). If you can't find it contact Richard at Snowstar Transfers (link on Page 1) he'll direct you.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@dogwatch, I've sent PM..hopefully you will receive it soon.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
So today there was some great fresh snow around, visibility came and went and if the sun stayed out for too long then a sun crust quickly formed in places. We were skiing knee deep powder both on Bellvarde and down from the Motte. It was colder at times during the day than it was overnight. It has just about snowed all day and it is still snowing.

Oh @dogwatch there was just something on the Radio about there being packages available via TGV and connecting buses from BSM this week - might be worth looking at SNCF in case there is anything useful to you.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
chocksaway wrote:
@dogwatch, There is a Tarentaise Transfers page on Facebook (I'm not a FBer) where you can look for availability, the transfer companiess are still working (mainly cos the buses aren't). If you can't find it contact Richard at Snowstar Transfers (link on Page 1) he'll direct you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/850771538271311/

Didn't know about that, thanks, it could very well help.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For cheap transfers, give the Facebook group 'tarantaise transfers notice board' a go. Still snowing a little out here and the temperature is plummeting. Should be good for this time of year all week.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Like good again on the webcams.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well it was better than it looked on the webcams. Deep and loose powder to quite low levels. Temperature rarely got above freezing. Off piste down from the Motte (cable car not open) was thigh deep in places. In the morning due to lack of traffic it was possible to do circuits and match your own tracks without others getting to your pitches. Many of the pistes are in the best condition we have seen them all season.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Ski lots, very encouraging, glad you enjoyed it. Do you happen to know whether only Grande Motte open after Sun 1 May please? Or with decent snow will they keep lifts to Val C and Le Lac open too? Resort website implies only Grande Motte.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@intermediate, my understanding is only the lifts on the glacier will operate (plus access). The runs down from the glacier should remain open and unless there is a heat wave there should be lots of coverage. The other lifts will be closed. Insufficient demand, no staff etc etc as reported elsewhere.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Ski lots, thanks again. So Double M would still be open for example?
Suppose we could ask for some chairlift keys and take turns to be lifties. Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@intermediate, that would certainly be my understanding. We will be legging it to Glasgow though first thing Monday morning. A few more flakes overnight. For anyone travelling up or down to Tignes / Val in the next few weeks there will be short-term closures (up to 30 mins) at the Tunnel de Saix near Moutiers.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
dogwatch wrote:
I may have the potential of a few days in Val d'Isere this week with a friend's flat otherwise unused... I don't want to drive from the UK or rent a car at
GVA.

I would drop the aversion to renting at GVA. We do it lots, renting from the French side, you can get some good deals (we use autoeurope) and getting in and out via Ferney Voltaire is dead easy even avoiding Swiss motorways.
snow report
Found this (buried) on the Tignes website (and yes the new one is even less user friendly than the last one):

In Tignes, you can ski till May 8th 2016!

From May 2nd to 8th, slide down on...
Grande Motte Sector with out Lanches ski lift),
Tovière Sector : Tovière, gondola, Tufs chair lift, Bollin chair lift and Tignes le Lac carpet
snow report
@chocksaway, thanks. That'll be plenty for me before I leave on morning of 3rd. Wonder how much of Val D side will be open?
ski holidays
intermediate, If those are the only Tignes lifts open then it doesn't matter what is open in Val d'Isere as you won't be able to get back, Tommeuses is a Tignes lift.
snow conditions
@rjs, thanks. True but Val D side is open until Sun 1 May I think? Hopefully Tommeuse still open until then if snow OK?? Don't suppose any buses running between Val D and Tignes this late in season.
I'll have a rental car, so could zoom up and over the Toviere peak in my Citroen 2CV, or whatever upturned pram they give me.
latest report
@chocksaway,
Is it OK to PM you? Looks as though I am being given the boot(redundancy). Probably decide to retire at the grand old age of 57. Pondering on renting somewhere in Tignes for 2016/7 season. Looking for some friendly advice.
snow report
@Mark1863, Yip!

I'm in the wilds at the moment relying on WiFi so it might not be an immediate response.
snow report
Not an immediate issue. Just looking for a place to start and perhaps a few dos and don'ts. Thanks
ski holidays
Brilliant conditions today, big blue virtually all day. Pistes are magnificent and there is still untracked powder to be found - not surprising given the amount of fresh over the last couple of days. Yesterday we had the deepest loosest powder we have had all season. Friends skied down to Brevieres and reported pistes covered in cold snow all the way down to what seemed to be a ghost village. Only small blip is that the Tichot lift is currently bust (apparently derailed) and it is unclear when it might re open. More snow forecast at the weekend.
snow report
@Mark1863, Let me know what you discover. I'm tempted to try and find a seasonal place in Tignes for the coming season.
latest report
@AndAnotherThing..,
Will do. All depends on what happens in the next few weeks and then will start looking - if things go as expected.
snow report
@Ski lots, yes, some of the best conditions of the whole season. If forecasts anywhere near right, the merry month of May will be welcomed in with over 20cms of fresh snow and maximum temperatures below zero at 1800m.
Any snowHeads able to get to Tignes for the last week of the winter season should be in for a treat!
snow report
@intermediate, yes indeed. Off piste was rather heavy going, but great piste conditions. Empty pistes on the Palafour side, probably down to the Tichot being broken for the rest of the season. It is going to be painful leaving on Monday morning.
ski holidays
Skiing conditions look better now than early February snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Ski lots, finish on a high tomorrow though, eh?
Any idea what derailed the Tichot chair? Did Bubbles DeVere get on it after a large lunch?
snow report
@intermediate, no idea what broke the Tichot. Nothing obvious going on and no evidence of hanging cables, although I did see a piste basher with a cherry picker on heading that way the other day.

Really dumping now and temperature dropping considerably.
latest report
@Ski lots, well, what a powder day today! Vis not so great at times, other than late morning down to La Daille, but a memorable May Day nevertheless.
I was told by Maison de Tignes staff that only Funiculaire, Toviere gondola and Tufs chair planned to be running tomorrow. Still gives plenty of scope for my last blast of this season. Very Happy
snow conditions
@intermediate - now back home in Glasgow after a 23 hr drive. Had great powder in the morning before it turned humid. Had to change skis for the afternoon as the snow was getting so 'plastic'. Then got caught in a near white-out with fog, before going on to do several laps of an almost deserted 'H' and as a result recording our highest vertical tally of the season.

It was rather sad to leave Tignes yesterday morning with great cover (down well below Brevieres) and some lifts still running, especially as we had to leave twice after Mrs SL realised she had left her camera in the apartment, so a quick U-turn was in order. I can mention that on this public forum as she would never stoop so low as to engage with snowheads, but I feel I need to get it out there.

Finally there was a difference of 25 degrees in temperatures in Tignes to those experienced in central France, but still snow on the very tops of the highest Scottish Border hills.
snow report
@Ski lots, glad you had a safe long(!) journey...snowHead wives...what are they like eh?

I stayed above Tignes 2100 on Monday, with blue skies and clear vis throughout. Could see clouds below in valleys. Apart from lower Trolles and Henri (softening in afternoon) had great snow.
My last run of the season, top of Grande Motte, Descentes, Lanches and Double M in one go into Val Claret was a highlight. What a finale! Very Happy
snow conditions
Heavy snow on the webcams again. A season of two halves this year's. The second half being the snowy one snowHead
snow conditions
Lots more snow again this morning - it even settled on the roofs in Les Brevieres. Should be a good start on the glacier come 25th June.

Meanwhile in Val they are cracking on with the new Solaise Gondola - the old chair has gone and works at the bottom seem to be progressing at a pace:

http://www.radiovaldisere.com/index.php?p=infos&id=6274

which confirms that parts of the old chair will be used to renovate and improve the Datcha chair.
latest report
I have just been looking at some photos shared by the Jam Bar on Facebook today. Still looks amazing on some slopes and still getting fresh snow!!! Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Looks like another layer of sand has just arrived, hope there is not too much snow on the glacier or we are going to have to duck under the t bar pylons this summer!
snow conditions
Just to show how much snow is kicking around (as an indication of how good early summer skiing could be) here is a link to the Radio Val Homepage with a video of the snow clearing on the Col de l'Iseran on 31 May 16:
http://www.radiovaldisere.com/index.php?p=home
They have reached 1 km from the summit (6/6) and hope to have it cleared by Friday evening.
snow report
What altitude is that?
latest report
The Col is 2770m but they are quite a bit lower, I am almost positive that in the video they are below the top of the Fornet Cable Car which is at 2325m so around 2200m!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy