Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

hotels on route to les arc

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I wonder if anyone can offer any help. We have travelled with kids to Les Arcs for the last two Feb 1/2 terms leaving the UK early sat and driving straight through. The last trip we got caught in a massive traffic jam before Albertville and as we don't want a repeat of that we are going to set off 4pm on the Friday and stay some where along the way. Has anyone got any recommendations of where we can stay very close to the autoroute. We need to be able to arrive late and set off early. Thanks in advance
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Novotel Reims Tinqueux is absolutely ideal and we have stayed there several times. It is literally just off the motorway and is perfect for families. I think it has a 24 hr reception, ample parking and decent rooms. It will be full of people on their way to the Alps!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Depends on how far south you wish to break your journey.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
http://www.le-val-moret.com/en/, just off autoroute near Dijon is our favorite. Although the food's too nice to miss, so may not suit you.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@wolfies, I have booked 2 triple rooms (adult and child in each room) at the formule 1 troyes sud st thibault for 72 euros in total, for the fri 12th feb, about 3.5 hours from Calais, plan to get there for midnight, leave around 7ish to try and get into resort for mid morning. I know they are basic, but all we want to do is get our head down for a few hours and then get out on the road sharpish!!
also they have a no deposit and free cancellation policy, you could even pre book several stops along the route for now then decide later which one to finally aim for
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@wolfies, 4pm departure means 6pm arrival in France (time difference plus journey time and unloading) However, the Tunnel always picks up delays at peak so say a 7pm arrival - How far do you want to drive? Reims is about 2 and a half hours so a 9.30pm arrival kids in bed then an early start 07:00 next day should get you through Moutier before the gridlock sets in...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@gvj, love that place.

@wolfies, we tend to stop at or about Troyes or, just past gvj's suggestion, in the Chaumont area. Try looking at Logis de France ( http://www.logishotels.com/en ) for some real cracking options.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
http://www.hotel-bb.com/en/home.htm do rooms for four. Otherwise we often sneak four in a room for three with a sleeping bag and mat.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Do yourself a favour and drive as far as possible on the Friday night. 6 hours from Calais gets you near Macon, if the traffic is light. 3 more hours and you're near Albertville. But now it's 4 a.m and I guess that might be a tad late for the kids. There's a few places near Macon, one Mercure is right on the autoroute in St Albin I think, but with 3 1/2 hours to go the next morning, I'd get my skates on sharpish and be gone before 6.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I can only echo what has @terrygasson, has said, We've been driving to Les Arcs as a family, firstly as kids ourselves and now with my sister's kids, for more years than I care to remember. The usual programme is to leave Essex mid morning on the Friday and drive through to around 9pm this usually puts us around Lyon. We over night in one of the Formula One or Premiere Class type establishments and crack on early the next day making it to Bourg for around mid morning on Saturday. You beat the traffic on the way in and arrive not feeling totally drained from the drive. Although we have occasionally had issues getting into our accommodation on arrival, as it's not been cleaned yet. The Formula One or Premiere Class places are very basic, but they are cheap, clean, easily accessible from the motorways and most importantly you can check in as late as you like. Also if you have skis on the car in a rack, most of them have secure parking. I've probably inherited this from my father but find it difficult to justify additional expense on somewhere nicer when you are only there for a matter of a few hours in transit.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There have been some reports on here of one of the F1s being frequented by ladies of a certain profession and their clients, so perhaps choose yours carefully if you are travelling with children. large ensuite family room was our choice, but then we always make our stopover part of the trip. Definitely no late nights, although we don't object to early mornings.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Hells Bells, oh really, I hadn't noticed that, perhaps that's why my father was so fond of using them (the hotels!) hahaha!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@wills_h, Laughing Laughing . I did try the search facility, but it was a quite recent trip I think by another snowHead.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I guess they'd term that as "leisure facilities" in place of the more usual gym, Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@wills_h, Setting off early and staying further south would be preferable. However the OP said that they are leaving at 4pm from the UK (presumably due to school restrictions) so that seems too late to get to Lyon for an overnight stop.

Last Easter we left home (1 1/2 hrs from Eurotunnel) at 2pm and arrived at the Novotel in Reims at around 8pm. This included using the Eurotunnel flexi plus (fastest option), no traffic queues in England and driving at 80mph in France with no stops. This was the week before Easter which is less busy than half term. Therefore unless the OP is driving till midnight or beyond I think they would be best off staying in Reims or Troyes.

Terrygasson does not mention if he has already stayed in the Formula 1 in Troyes or not? Friends who have been to an F1 somewhere in Troyes said "never again" but don't let that put you off Toofy Grin We have been to the Ibis Styles in Troyes which is nice but not right next to the motorway which is why I recommended the Novotel in Reims.
snow report
@snowymum, apologies, I may have been a little vague. Yes, Lyon is certainly a bit far considering OP's planned time of departure, what I meant was that the Premier Class or F1 chains are in my opinion worth considering as there are many of them en route which are conveniently situated. Just had a quick look at the premiere class website and they have a handy map, so you can see where you think you will get to and book accordingly:
http://www.premiereclasse.com/en/map-search
From what I remember the Premiere Class also have an ensuite in each room which the F1 lack.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 18-09-15 11:44; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@snowymum, I must admit I have not stayed in a F1 but have friends who have, and admittedly, as I said before reported that they are very basic, but all we are looking for is somewhere for the kids to stretch out for a few hours before setting off again, if it was not for kids I would drive all the way through to the valley floor and find somewhere for a few hours, I have done this several times before but admittedly had somewhere to crash at the other end, even made it to last orders of a friends bar in meribel once after setting off late afternoon from London, though it was only me and a mate and barely stopped for fuel!!!
I have booked several options along the way, with the option to cancel free of charge upto the day of travel, as I am still not sure what time we can leave on the Friday due to schools, am hoping nearer the time there will be notifications of inset days/early finishes, as the unknown is going to be the journey from school to Folkestone on a Friday afternoon, could be anywhere from 2.5hrs to 5hrs depending on the dreaded circular car park that is the m25!!!!!
ski holidays
we've done this the last 2 seasons but Easter not half term so the traffic's not nearly as heavy.

Pick up daughter straight from school, get a tunnel around 18.00 gets you back on the road around 19.40. First year we stopped at the Blue Hotel at Tinqueraux - basic, clean and warm and just off the motorway, this year we pushed on and stopped at the Hotel Tambourn in Vichy Le Francois, which is a bit off the motorway 15-20 mins South of Chalons. Slightly eccentric, but again warm and clean and reasonable. We aim to stop between 22.00 and 23.00 then get an 05.30-06.00 start.

Be warned though about coming home - we stop in 1950 and from there you must be up and on the road for 06.00 otherwise the drive down to Alberville is just endless
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy