Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Booking Ski Lessons

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, first post so please be gentle if these are dumb questions. I've just booked our first family skiing holiday. We are going to La Clusaz for February half-term. Whilst the 'Young Adults' (20 & 17) have been on school skiing trips we are aged novices. We're spending lots of time (and money) at the Hemel ski slope but need some advice on booking lessons for whilst we are out in France. So here goes;

When do I need to make a decision and book something. Are schools likely to be filling up soon?
How do we judge what level of lessons to book? We'll both be as good as we can get at Hemel by the time we go so is that level 2 or 3?
We are thinking 5 morning lessons with the afternoon for practice/rest. Is that sensible?
My 17 yo son is a confident skier. Are there groups he could join not so much for lessons but to be shown good places to ski. If so how do you book those?
I'm guessing lift passes are the same price wherever you buy them from. Is that right? No need to pre-book just pick them up when you arrive?

Finally, any thoughts or tips on La Clusaz? We picked it because we drove through it this summer whilst staying near Lake Annecy & thought it looked 'nice'. Not very scientific but as I say, we're new to all this.

Thanks in advance for whatever comes back Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
First thing is to google ski schools in the resort and see what's on offer. If there is just esf than that narrows it down for you. The big decision really is group vs. Private. A morning group lesson is the standard thing. This is great for showing you around and meeting people, less good technically as esf groups can be big. Personally I prefer a shorter private lessons to group lessons. If there are 2 of you it can work out similar money. It depends how confident you are skiing and exploring on your own. Then the same decision for the young adults really. Have a look at the groups that are running and see what they fancy doing and how much you are prepared to pay for. You can easily book online.
I would always prefer to be in a group a bit too difficult than a bit too easy but that's the choice you take and they usually move you if its wrong.

You may need to do this now. We have just done ours for half term and the ski school (new gen-vallandry) are already fully booked for private lessons at half term and had just one space in one of the groups. Esf are much bigger though and I've been fine booking in January in the past.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We are off there in half term as well. Booked through Crystal as lift passes were included in price. For half term ski schools are always very busy and in my experience the groups I have been with have been full. Individual lessons whist obviously more expensive are much more focussed to you and your needs and you may only need a few rather than a lesson every day.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You do need to book asap for half term. Don't worry about level too much, they'll move you. Skiing on a mountain is very different from HEMEL, especially if weather is poor. Low visibility is difficult. One group above beginners would be a good place to start. The top group will include very good skiers, for your son. At busy times it's well worth having the lift priority you get with ski school.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We booked half term lessons in August they year before we went and some of the classes were already booked (that was NewGen in Peisey) so I'd get on it right now!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Another thought. Timing of private lessons will be limited. Possibly lunchtime only. Though that is a good time to be on the slopes, when the masses are crowding into the restaurants.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Previous replies all give pretty good advice.

Booking you lessons sooner rather than later is better, as there may be less availability later.
Don't worry about getting your level spot on, you will be moved from one group to another if you are doing group lessons. If doing private your instructor will adapt to suit.
Morning lessons are good as pistes are better, if you want more challenging, go have lessons in the afternoon.
5 lessons during the week is probably a good start. Practice or rest in the afternoon is always good if you are having a.m. tuition.
You could try and find people staying in the same hotel for your son to ski with. He will always learn from an instructor so maybe a few lessons will be good. Tour operators used to offer a 'get to know the pistes' service, however I think most if not all have stopped this now. There may be people on the forum who are there are the same time to also pair up with.
Lift passes are cheaper if you buy a number of them. Don't believe all a tour operator tells you, you will be paying full whack (while they get so many free with each bundle they buy - but still sell to you the free ones they are given at the regular price) People on the forum who have skied there will tell you what the deals and dodges are.

Good luck.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy