Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are there any discounts for Chamonix - Aiguille du Midi?

Poster: A snowHead
Going to Annecy this weekend for a 4 day/3 night trip with Mrs Gaza and Oscar. I had thought about heading to Chamonix and take trip up to Aiguille du Midi but looking on here - http://www.compagniedumontblanc.co.uk/en/site-overview/aiguille-du-midi/rates - I was a more than a tad surprised that tickets for the 3 of us would cost €162.50. Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked That is about the same as our EDI-GVA-EDI flights have cost. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Are there any discounts available? Alternatively does anyone have a view on the Le Fayet to Nid d'Aigle Tramway v the Camonix to Montenvers train and visiting the Mer de Glace?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm not aware of any discounts unless you're going to be skiing in the area and want to get a rapidcard, but the one-off fee (€25 I think) on that means its not worth it for 1-2 days.

You could do 2 sites in a day, and make the lift ticket more worthwhile. Aiguille du midi in the morning, back down for early pm, train up to Montenevers, lunch at the Grand Hotels du Montenvers (if its open), back down mid afternoon. Or, if weather is good and you're feeling energetic, get off the midi bin at the mid station walk over to Montenvers, visit there and train down.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Gaza, from a pure economics point of view, given the queues even now, it's not over-priced... Shocked
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

if weather is good and you're feeling energetic, get off the midi bin at the mid station walk over to Montenvers, visit there and train down.

that's a great walk in nice weather.

Take warm clothes to be able to spend a decent time out on the observation deck at the top.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It is a few years since we did this so I can't remember the exact price we paid. However we got a ticket that gave you several trips in one day. We started off with Aiguille du Midi, then did the Montenvers railway and went round the ice caves near the hotel. We then came down and went up the Brevent cable car. There is a wonderful panoramic view from the top so that was worth doing. This was all on a busy day in school holidays so you should have no trouble fitting these three in on an off peak day. It is worth getting to Aiguille du Midi cable car as soon as it opens and check the weather for the days you are going so you can pick the day with the most blue sky for photos.

My daughter who was about 8 at the time of our visit has no problem with normal ski lifts. However she did not like the way the Aiguille du Midi cable car clunks and sways over the pylons. My son was unphased though so hopefully Oscar will be the same. We were also in it on a very busy day and it was a bit of a squish. This summer we did Pic du Midi in the Pyrenees which was a smoother ride and luckily my daughter loved it Very Happy

Another trip that is worth doing in the Chamonix area is the mont blanc tramway from Le Fayet near St Gervais. There are some lovely walks from the station below the top around the Les Houches ski area. However it would be too much to fit that in on the same day as Aiguille du midi and the rest.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all. If I am reading this correctly - http://www.compagniedumontblanc.co.uk/en/lift-passes/mont-blanc-multipass - it would appear I can get a single Day Pass that will cover the Aiguille du Midi and other lifts in he area. Am I reading it correctly?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
looks like it.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Gaza, correct. I think you can get a 2 day pass for very little more. Pass also includes a trip on the luge @ planards which is well worth taking advantage of if its open, and I think free swimming so if you were to stay 2 days you could get pretty good value out of it.

You can get a family pass (up to 4 kids) for the same price as 2 adults + 1 child. If the luge is open, get this, tell them you have 4 kids, and your son can get 4 goes on the luge...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@snowdave, we'll arrive in Annecy early afternoon Friday and depart Monday morning so the plan is to spend Saturday or Sunday in the Annecy area and go to Chamonix on the other day so the 1 day pass will probably suffice.

The weather is looking quite iffy both Saturday and Sunday and if it is anything like today then a trip up Mont Blanc will be a waste of time. Razz

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Gaza, who says the weather is looking "iffy"?

http://chamonix-meteo.com/chamonix-mont-blanc/weather/forecast/morning/5_days_weather_forecast.php

doesn't sound too bad to me...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the link @under a new name. meteo.fr and uk met office forecasts were more pessimistic. Cham Meteo are still forecasting strong wind at altitude so that could scupper the plans for Aiguille du Midi.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The weather was much better than expected. Stunning views from Aiguille du Midi. We had a great day. There was about a 50 minute queue for tickets (only 3 out of 5 windows open) but we were then straight on to the cable car. There was also a bit of a long queue to “Step in to the Void” which meant we ran out of time. We didn’t get to the Glace de Mer until after 15:30 so didn’t have the time to go down to the caves. Next time we’ll probably make Chamonix our base as there seems to be a lot do do in the area.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 21-09-15 19:14; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Gaza, there is a lot to do around Cham, especially when weather favourable.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Gaza, I think you should invest in better footware for the kids wink wink wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lovely photos. snowHead the mer de glace tends to look very sad in September....
latest report
It isn't in its full glory @pamw Very Happy

snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy