Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scientist issues stark warning to Aspen about global warming

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Aspen in Colorado, which has taken some of the bolder environmental initiatives among US ski resorts, has been given a worrying prediction about its rate of climate change.

Dr. Gerald Meehl, a senior scientist with the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Boulder, told a conference at the University of Colorado that Aspen may face a 2 degree C rise in average temperatures over the next century, compared with 0.5C for America in general.

Aspen's skiing, snowpack, ecosystem and economy are threatened by global warming, he said. He also told his audience that it is an "unambiguous fact" that humans are largely to blame.

This report from Aspen Daily News.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think the key word is "may". In this country, there seems not be agreement whether we'll freeze to death in winter or die of heat exhaustion in summer (I'm sure it won't be long before some environmentalist claims both), so I'm sceptical of claims to know what climate change will mean to particular locales.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I agree. There is still no clear long term evidence to support the global warming arguments because accurate detailed record keeping only goes back about 50-100 years. How can we hope to make accurate predictions about the future with so little data to go on?

The fact that not a single data model or prediction that has been made so far has been accurate adds more fossil fuel to the fires. wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I just read a book "state of fear, by Michael Crichton", despite being fiction it references real data. It lists many references disputing global warming, showing a cooling down in some long term stats and also ice thickening at one of the poles (can't remember which one!)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gregh, the North Pole ice should thicken due to climate change based on most predictions, and the south will shrink. This hinges on the Gulf Stream weakening, or being turned off, which, strangely enough, may well happen because the North Pole is currently melting faster than expected.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thank you for that information, Your Excellency.

What influence will these phenomena have on Aspen?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Goldsmith, it will make it more difficult for me to fly there.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ken_1969, glacial ice, fossils, etc. can keep pretty good records of what world climate was like well beyond 50-100 years ago. To say that we can't predict the exact effects of climate change caused by human influenced increases in greenhouse gases is true, but to insinuate that there won't be an effect is naive.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
gregh, That book is rather selective in the facts it references.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy