Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lufthansa - Now Extra for Baggage

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
under a new name wrote:
@Nadenoodlee, I find airline pricing astonishingly obscure.

Tell me about it. Emmirates or KLM, Glasgow to Hong Kong .... £650- 750) BA to Hong Kong £1400. But BA Glasgow to HKG then Singapore only £750.

Then there is the 3-day KLM trick. If only 2 days then their system flags up as a potential business (and therefore expenses) trip. 3 days is city break. So If you fly out on Tuesday and com back late on Thurs £320..... come back on Friday Morning (not too early) then £120.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Right, off to pack for my fight at 17.10 to LGW.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
I'm about to book some Lufthansa flights from Birmingham.

Is the ski carriage additional or included 'free' in the basic price. Also their web site hints that it may not be possible to take ski's on all flights. Has anyone used them from Brum ?

So:

1. Ski's Included. Just call to add them after booking.

2. BHX is ok. The chap on the phone suggested that some airports change a small handling fee.

Seemingly no pre flight security details required as is usual via Easyjet.

I'm impressed so far Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Anyone had any problems taking more than one pair of skis in a bag, or packing clothing around skis?

I'm sure I've read some restrictions around one pair of skis per bag, only ski equipment in the bag etc.

I have a sport tube for 2 pairs of skis but I usually take 1 pair in a lightweight bag with some clothing wrapped around them.

I'm a gold member with Scandinavian airlines and Star Alliance, so I fly with them if possible as you get extra baggage allowance and they don't seem to question anything at the gold member check in desk.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I am afraid that my allegiance is now with LH/LX. BA no longer as special as they were, once.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@AndAnotherThing.., never been charged a handling fee at Birmingham or anywhere else for oversize items, maybe just covering themselves.

We did Birmingham - Munich in March on a Friday eve with skis and kids; very easy and much much less stressful than the Monarch charter on a Saturday earlier in the year!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
only "fee" IME is the cost of the phone number you call to tell them you're bringing skis. might be 0800 number there? here it's a premium rate so you get stung for ooh a whole 1 Euro (which is actually a significant percentage of the underlying far before any taxes etc. are applied).

the "some routes" issue is more to do with if it's a dinky Austrian Airlines plane I think, and you change somewhere like Frankfurt, or it's an embraer and not an Airbus.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
I'm about to book some Lufthansa flights from Birmingham.

Is the ski carriage additional or included 'free' in the basic price. Also thier web site hints that it may not be possible to take ski's on all flights. Has anyone used them from Brum ?

Ski carriage is free (and if you book the usual Economy Classic fare you'll also be able to take a hold bag up to 23kg as well as up to 8kg of carry on bag). See Lufthansa webpage, quote:

"Ski or snowboarding equipment as free baggage
In addition to your free baggage allowance, you may take one piece of ski or snowboarding equipment free of charge on your Lufthansa flight.**/*** The maximum weight of an additional piece of ski or snowboarding equipment must be within the weight limits of the travel class you have booked.
Please register your ski baggage without fail no later than 23 hours before departure with the Lufthansa Service Centre. This is only necessary so that Lufthansa can ensure that your ski baggage is carried."

Note however that if you book the new Economy Light fare you just get the carry on bag, no hold bag and NO free ski carriage), see ski baggage info webpage, quote: "**This does not apply for the new Economy Class Light fare on routes within Europe."
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
until recently, Lufthansa group silver card (FTL) card holders on economy light fares were allowed one piece of h̶a̶n̶d̶ checked luggage.

no more. although the marginal cost of economy classic is not enormous.

and I'm flying Austrian on Monday over dinner time so am testing out their prebookable hot food menu at €15.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sat 14-11-15 11:10; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
All light fares regardless of card allow one piece of hand luggage
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Oops too early in the morning, corrected.

But hand luggage (as before) restricted to 8kgs and I think they're now enforcing that (although I wasn't paying to much attention as I had an enormous suitcase full of stuff last week).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy