Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lufthansa - Now Extra for Baggage

Poster: A snowHead
Bit surprised to see that Lufthansa website now offers a choice of the following booking options:

- Economy Light - ie hand luggage (max 8kg) only.

- Economy - including a check in bag - at extra cost of £10-15 each way.... Confused

Is this a new thing - or just something that I have overlooked?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@mountainaddict, it's new this year. Plus I have noticed the general cost of Lufthansa flights is a lot more than the last couple of years. I guess the bubble had to burst eventually.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not really that surprising, they've just brought in an additional cheaper ticket option for people who only want to travel with hand luggage so that they can compete for those passengers with airlines like Ryanair and Easyjet who've offered that for a long time. Swiss Airlines (part of Lufthansa) brought in an Economy Light option some time back.

If you do want (like me) to travel with a hold bag and skis (which go free on Lufthansa and Swiss) you'll still find that they still often work out cheaper than Easyjet etc.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

they've just brought in an additional cheaper ticket option for people who only want to travel with hand luggage so that they can compete for those passengers with airlines like Ryanair and Easyjet who've offered that for a long time.

this option is available on some BA flights too. It's the way of the future and it makes sense - you pay for what you get!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I booked Lufthansa for December the other day, I never noticed a "light" option. I've just checked and I have the usual 23kg hold baggage. I don't need to take skis
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
yup - I only discovered the joy of Lufthansa ( thanks to QB ) in the last couple of seasons, but I have booked BA to MUC this Easter rather than BHX to MUC with Lufthansa Sad
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
they're just catching up with swiss and ba, both of whom have been doing that (at least on certain routes).

skis+boots+helmet is still "free" if you pay for the 23kg baggage option (i'm assuming you need to choose a non handbaggage only rate to get that, but I could be wrong).

certainly worth being aware when booking, and it's only very recent (like flights booked after aug for departure from october onwards, or something like that). my flights last month were certainly before the date at which you had a choice.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
It's the way of the future and it makes sense - you pay for what you get!
I don't disagree - but the free baggage and generally higher service levels are what has distinguished the 'proper' airlines like Lufthansa and BA from the budget airlines.

They'll be charging for tea, coffee etc next! rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@mountainaddict, that has pretty much happened in the US. There is little to differentiate traditional airlines from newcomers.

In Europe the traditional airlines have had to change. There are simply not enough people wanting to pay a higher price for a "free" hold bag or coffee. For those thst want the extras then there is still the option of Business Class.

There is still a strong argument for "full service" on medium and long haul services. I doubt even Ryanair will be able to use exactly the same model if they launch long haul.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've booked MAN to MUC with Lufthansa for my January trip, it was half the price of my usual BHX to MUC route.

Haven't had my March trip approved yet *drums fingers*...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The "light" fare has been introduced for European flights some time ago though they probably didn't introduce it on all routes at the same time. I am a frequent flyer with Swiss/Lufthansa so have used this option quite a few times. Unlike EasyJet they let you take a cabin bag plus a handbag or a laptop. The fare makes sense since not everyone will be flying to ski, people travel on business too, so having a single fare would mean that non-skiing passengers are sponsoring those that carry skis.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

having a single fare would mean that non-skiing passengers are sponsoring those that carry skis

and that a skinny 4 year old is "sponsoring" a hefty adult with a pile of baggage. Nobody argues that all parcels should cost the same to post, regardless of their weight.

The current hot competition in the airline industry is generally good for consumers, though it does make for a more complicated process in identifying the best deal for any particular journey.

In the days of the "proper" airlines - national carriers - few of us could afford to do much flying.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The Lufthansa light fare is *very* recent. Announced in late July, bookable from 28th July, for flights after 1st October. Swiss have done that for 1-2 years, but on selected routes iirc.
http://www.lufthansagroup.com/en/press/news-releases/singleview/archive/2015/july/27/article/3599.html details there
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm a SWISS/ Lufthansa frequent flier and I bloody hate the light fare! My travel company book it when I'm on a day trip to London but they don't realise I want to bring back a suitcase full of baked beans and orange squash! wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Nadenoodlee, Laughing
snow report
@Nadenoodlee, if you are a Swiss/LH frequent-enough flyer, you can get Frequent Traveller status (Silver Card) with only 30 flights on qualifying Miles and More airlines. This gives you a checked bag in "Light" and lounge access when flying with the M&M group. The Geneva Swiss lounge usually has quite acceptable hot food at lunchtime and dinner time. And of course, prosecco.

Orange squash is not very good for you. What's wrong with French sirops anyway?
snow report
I just qualified as silver @under a new name, although I've always had lounge access from my Amex- I have decided the Dnata one is the best at Geneva- although I hear the honour/ senator Swiss lounge is very nice! I didn't know about the bag though- that's brilliant! Flying next week so suitcase here I come.

What's wrong with sirop? I'm not even going to dignify that with an answer wink
latest report
@Nadenoodlee, The Dnata one is often quite busy I find. And I like the ham rolls in the Swissport one. They all have their little advantages.

Oh and if you're on Swiss/LH/some others, you can use the priority lane at security. Which won't really help when it's quiet but is a godsend when there are 3 767s of American school brats littering up the place. It also doesn't help when the person in front of you in the priority line is an idiot.

"your liquids have to fit in the clear bag"
"but they don't"
"then you have to throw some away"
"I'm not doing that"
"But they have to fit in the bag"
"but they don't!"
"I'm not doing that"
"then you can't go through security"
"Why not?"
"your liquids have to fit in the clear bag"
"but they don't"
"I'm not doing that"
"But they have to fit in the bag"
"but they don't!"
"I'm not doing that"

At this point I went to another scanner and she was still arguing with a most amazingly patient scanner agent as I headed in a Prosecco-like direction...
ski holidays
I saw a discussion about this online recently. I don't remember where but it was tied in to the recent BA 777 evacuation. They stated that all airlines are being 'forced' to go down this route to keep their fares competitive. And the point was that this encourages more and more people to chance it and try to squeeze their ever bigger bags on as hand luggage.
ski holidays
@MadMountainMan, certainly at Geneva Easyjet are increasingly strict at the gate, at least if the flight's quite busy.
latest report
I get pissed off getting stuck behind people trying to squash bloody great bags in the overhead lockers - takes ages to board.

@under a new name, didn't know that about the fast track either- you are a wealth of knowledge. I was sad about giving up my BA to switch to Lufthansa but it turns out it is better! Hurrah!
ski holidays
@Nadenoodlee, I fly quite a lot...
latest report
Me too @under a new name, I managed to go from 0 to silver in 3 months - I shall see you in the lounge Very Happy

Airport lethargy now- which is why i decided to experiment with the boat and train combo today for a change Very Happy
snow report
I flew Lufthansa this week and only narrowly escaped paying excess baggage over the standard 23kg allowance per person. We had one bag weighing 24.8kg and another weighing 17kg. In the past this has been accepted no problem.

The woman at the check in desk told us that they have changed the rules, and now apply a rule of 23kg per person, as opposed to the old system where they accepted 46kg for a couple if they were both on the same booking.

She let us off, but said that she would have charged us if my bag had been 24.9kg.
snow report
@Alastair Pink, and anyone else...

Many thanks for your helpful comments.

Question if I may: sometimes a SWISS or LUFTHANSA flight will be "operated" (I think that is codeshare?) with another airline. e.g.: HELVETIC Airways. But such an airline does not offer free ski carriage; and the SWISS website says to watch out for this. But in practice, many folks must miss this angle; and thus turn-up with their skis expecting free ski carriage.

What in practice then happens at the check-in desk for HELVETIC? Will they let it pass and not charge you?

Thanks for your help in advance.
snow conditions
No clue - and it sounds like Swiss don't either @PeDaSp, I think Helvetica just do the smaller airports don't they?
snow report
@Nadenoodlee,

I was not very clear in my comment! SWISS are very clear about it, they say that the Helvetic baggage rules will apply. But you only find that if you look hard in the small print somewhere! I would imagine that this issue arises with many code-sharing situations.

And indeed, Helvetic just do smaller airports — including the every wonderful London City Airport, my favourite airport in the whole wide world Cool
ski holidays
I've always had Swiss @PeDaSp, from LCY to GVA, but I'm normally focused solely on a window seat and getting enough chocolate
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@PeDaSp, when I book with Lufthansa for a ski trip I always phone to check there is still ski space on chosen flight before I book and that way if there is a code share issue they should be able to tell you, than once I have booked I call again to add skis to booking and get them to email a confirmation detailing the "special baggage" this also helps when you check in as sometimes they try to charge for ski carriage.
snow report
@speachmaus, That sounds the smart thing to do! I'll do the same next time I'm with Lufthansa. Thanks!
ski holidays
As speachmaus said, after booking your Lufthansa flight you have to phone them (on 0371 9459747) to add the skis to the booking. Every time I've done that they've automatically sent me an email confirmation (without me having to ask) detailing the "special baggage".
snow report
i think you'll find that London City Swiss flights are operated by themselves with RJ100s? not Helvetic

ah, no, sorry, into Zurich, yes, Helvetic some routes. Geneva, not.
snow conditions
I once flew with swiss London city to Geneva. I bought the light fare because that was all that was available on any website and I couldn't imagine it would be hard to add luggage. They charged something ridiculous like 120quid to add luggage.
snow conditions
That will be why there was only a light fare left the. @madlondoner,
latest report
@madlondoner, when I've looked via e.g. Expedia, they only show light fare and yes, it'e v. expensive to then add luggage. Far, far better to bookmdirectly on Swiss's own site. also helps with online checkin and options.
ski holidays
Sometimes even cheaper to book on the Lufthansa site @under a new name, for the Swiss flight
latest report
I'm about to book some Lufthansa flights from Birmingham.

Is the ski carriage additional or included 'free' in the basic price. Also thier web site hints that it may not be possible to take ski's on all flights. Has anyone used them from Brum ?
snow report
@Nadenoodlee, I find airline pricing astonishingly obscure.
latest report
never summer wrote:
The "light" fare has been introduced for European flights some time ago though they probably didn't introduce it on all routes at the same time. I am a frequent flyer with Swiss/Lufthansa so have used this option quite a few times. Unlike EasyJet they let you take a cabin bag plus a handbag or a laptop. The fare makes sense since not everyone will be flying to ski, people travel on business too, so having a single fare would mean that non-skiing passengers are sponsoring those that carry skis.

If you have speedy boarding then you can take two bags on easyjet. One cabin and one laptop style.
latest report
Oceanic wrote:
I flew Lufthansa this week and only narrowly escaped paying excess baggage over the standard 23kg allowance per person. We had one bag weighing 24.8kg and another weighing 17kg. In the past this has been accepted no problem.

The woman at the check in desk told us that they have changed the rules, and now apply a rule of 23kg per person, as opposed to the old system where they accepted 46kg for a couple if they were both on the same booking.

She let us off, but said that she would have charged us if my bag had been 24.9kg.

I believe this is to do with Health and safety. I was told (I'm not saying it is fact, just I was told) that a single baggage handler can repeatedly lift 23kg but if it is over (and up to 32kg) then it is not classed as an acceptable repeated lift. I don't know what the consequence is, 2 people lifting or someone who is certified to lift the heavier weights.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy