Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Hire Les Deux Alpes

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi i am going to Les Deux Alpes for a weeks skiing in March. I am a complete beginner, only had a one day intense skiing lesson. My boyfriend is a frequent skier and persuaded me to book a holiday.......however I have a torn meniscus in my knee so a bit stupid really as it may not hold up for more than a days skiing! Got to do these things though to keep them happy at times!

I have been advised that some 120 skis maybe best for me as a beginner and with my injury......can anyone advise on this?

Also if looking to hire equiptment can someone recommentd the best/ cheapest shop and also when is the best time to book to get the cheapest price? Just need boots really, as can borrow some 120's, or would people recommend hiring boots and skis and if the skis arent right for me i could swap for longer/shorter ones?

Thank you in advance
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@zoe_h2004, not answering question but what is happening with your torn meniscus? Are they recommending surgery? If so I had that and was skiing (though not pain free) a less than three months later. Either way I would highly recommend seeing a Physio and getting their advice they should be able to advice on suitable braces (and if they will be helpful etc) in addition to excersise to help.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@NickyJ i went to see one of the best surgeons in the UK and he said as long as i can still walk i need to put up with it as hes never seen a tear like it and is worried i will need a knee replcament and I am far too young to have one done. I have had physio before to strengthen the surrounding leg muscles. A few months leading up to skiing i will obviously carry out these excercises to strengthen the leg and I will use braces that I have used beore. I compete at a high level with my horse so I excercise everyday so luckily have naturally strong legs to begin with which im hoping will help towards the skiing, and that combined wih a strong knee brace should (fingers crossed) see me through the week
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Do you mean you want to hire boots, and use skis you bring with you? I’m not sure many shops will do this, as they will need to set up the skis to match the boots, and might not be willing to take the risk with skis they don’t ‘control’ as it were.

I think you’d be better hiring skis and boots as a package anyway – if you are struggling with the skis then you should be able to change them. Just book a beginner package, which will be the cheapest anyway, and you’ll get short, soft skis.

My main advice would be to book some private lessons though. If you did say three 2 hour sessions with a private instructor spread over the week it won’t cost much more than a week of group lessons, and a decent instructor will be able to take your injury into account and help you work with it, and allow you to ski at exactly your own pace. You won’t get that in group lessons. (And please do not even consider taking lessons from your boyfriend!)

The occasional private lesson away from your boyfriend too will give him the occasional break to ski at whatever level he wants, without putting any pressure on you.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@fixx, +1. You'll get a beginners boots and ski package for not much money. And you should be able to swap kit if you are unhappy. Get a shop close to your accommodation - you don't want to be lugging stuff for miles. This is important in LDA because the resort is strung-out along a road and it is easy to book stuff at a shop which is a good walk away. If you are going outside French holidays (which end at the end of the first week of March) then there's no need to book ahead - you'll be able to get kit easily enough. Have a great time.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@zoe_h2004, oh dear, that is a shame. Best of luck.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
dobby wrote:

Get a shop close to your accommodation - you don't want to be lugging stuff for miles.

Very true!

Bunch of links here to various providers, plus some discount codes. A quick look suggests you could get skis and boots for @70EUR, maybe less.
alpinresorts
snowbrainer
Sport 2000
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@zoe_h2004, Equipment hire with Jacques Sports, very good service and right by the Viking beginner lift. Pretty sure you could leave kit there if you hire from them save you lugging it back to your accommodation. http://www.jacquessports.sport2000.fr/fr/

Book a couple of private lessons with the European Ski School, ask for Alex Chapman or Ian Huyton, both native english speakers and will get you off to a great start! http://www.europeanskischool.eu/
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy