Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Insurance providers - multi-trip and skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
I know this has been asked a few times before, and I've had a read through some old threads, but just checking to see if there are any providers I might have missed…

I'm looking to get annual multi-trip travel insurance, which also covers skiing. This isn’t something I’ve had to do before, as previously my Swiss health insurance and Carte Neige did the job re. skiing. So I'm trying to get up to speed with things back in the UK, and struggling a little.

Re. skiing cover, I need:
- Offpiste without a guide (but with resort guidance caveats etc)
- Glacier skiing (on-piste, plus VB type stuff)
- Ski-touring
- Multiple ski days – currently planning 7 weeks next winter, could be more! So 40+days would be good.
- Ideally worldwide (I'm thinking about 2 weeks in North America in March)
- Decent level of cover for loss/theft of ski kit (though I’ve not lost or had anything stolen yet, thankfully!)

Scuba-diving cover would also be nice, though no trips yet planned in the next year.

So far on the list I've got MPI, dogtag, and the SCGB new offer – that’s very good value compared to the others so far (I'm young enough for the £69 rate), though European only – so I’d need separate cover for a NAmerica trip.

Am I missing anything? I’d like to get it sorted this week, as I'm travelling this weekend, and every subsequent weekend until November!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
American Express. Have done mine through them for a few years and they are pretty similar in price. Have had to claim a couple of times for missed departure due to delays etc and always been paid out with minimum hassle, no quibble.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BMC, and also worth checking the DSV (Deutsch Ski Verein) - German Ski Club, but they provide insurance for anyone in EU and have an English site/support.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Snowcard.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
MPI brokers
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
MPI brokers - let you arrange cover according to number of weeks, length of trips, what extras etc you need - and when we had a claim for a knee injury in Aspen they could not have been more helpful, organising business seats on the way back, and settling the claim afterwards.

Seem to be good as well with pre- existing medical conditions - they covered the same knee the following year with no extra payment, and covered me to go skiing again on the SiOPB 5 days after I broke my jaw and cheekbone in a ski accident in the States…… Embarassed
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Snowcard. Excellent response when I broke my leg
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@fixx, I use the ADAC holiday insurance and there do not seem to be any restrictions for me. I believe several UK-based snowHeads also have used it or are still using it.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@froomie, @clarky999, @altis, thanks - not had those on the list, so will investigate this evening Smile

@Hells Bells, @k, MPI does seem to be particularly highly recommended, from other threads too. Always good to have positive feedback. I’ve never need to claim for anything before re. travelling, so I’ve been lucky – but the luck has to run out sometime, so I’d like to have a good insurer for claims!

@k, Wow, impressive injuries, and well done on still getting on the SOPiB! I’m planning on the opposite this year – OffPiste bash, followed by 2 weeks somewhere over the pond, so more worried about potential injuries from the bash :S
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@fixx, another +1 for MPI. We had them for a season policy last year. Really helpful on the phone pre-purchase. Comprehensive policies that you can tailor quite a bit to suit your needs. And very good claims handling when my hubby got choppered off the hill and the subsequent hospital visits and scans etc for a head injury.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

@k, Wow, impressive injuries, and well done on still getting on the SOPiB! I’m planning on the opposite this year – OffPiste bash, followed by 2 weeks somewhere over the pond, so more worried about potential injuries from the bash

They also covered me when I knackered a shoulder in Fernie, and an ankle the same place the following year. And when I got stuck in China when the airport was closed down due to an extreme snow storm. In October. And still continue to cover me!

The moral of this tale is probably not to ski with me on the off piste bash - although I survived a whole season unscathed last year….
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I went out for 9 weeks without any gaps last year and found very few that would insure a single trip that long. Of those that did I found the BMC to be the best deal by quite a comfortable margin.

Not sure that I checked out MPI though so might check them out this year and see how they compare.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for all the advice everyone - after a lot of digging and reading of policy documents it looks like MPI are the winners.

American Express - I couldn't find a way to include cover for offpiste without a guide, so that had to be ruled out.
ADAC - great reviews online, but I'm just too nervous to sign up to something with all the policy documents in German. Ok I did it for car insurance in Switzerland, but that wasn't an option, and I had lots of fluent German speaking friends at hand Smile

The others all ticked all the boxes, but MPI just came out at better value for the cover and trip durations I was looking for (and all the really positive feedback helped too!)

I just can't believe the cost overall for what I want - but I suppose I paid more overall in Switzerland with all the different insurances there...!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There seem to be fairly standard step changes in costs above 17 days per season and again above 31. Stands to reason although I'd of course argue by the time you are doing that much skiing your ski fit enough to start reducing chances of injury.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@fixx,The ADAC's AGBs (aka T&Cs) etc are available in English because they sell in England so they have to be. There are a couple of people on here using their insurance for multi-trip deals. I think you have to poke around the web site to get to them though as if I remember correctly it is a PDF.
snow report
It is also worth checking if your work place offers travel insurance. My OH has a good deal on family annual travel insurance including skiing in his "flexible benefits". Very Happy
snow report
Mpi are very flexible and if you call them they'll get a bespoke quote from the underwriter. Got to make that call soon for next year.
ski holidays
Just checked MPI website to renew my multi-trip ski insurance, to find the premium has increased by 50% !

Still in same age grouping, no other changes, so am looking at alternatives: Snowcard and BMC.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy