Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Just bought my first pair of skis

Poster: A snowHead
I've always rented skis and thought about buying before but weighing up the pros and cons I decided to purchase. I'm purely an on piste kind of guy so was looking for something that would cater for this and wasn't trying to be master of everything.

So this weekend managed to demo these at my local xscape.

Salomon X-Max Skis + XT12 Ti Bindings 15/16

Head i.Supershape Titan Skis + PRX 12 S Bindings 15/16

Volkl RTM 81 Skis + iPT WR XL 12.0 TCX D Bindings 15/16

fischer - can't remember the model (didnt like it)

Head i.Supershape Magnum Skis + PRX 12 S Bindings 15/16

Salomon X-Drive 8.0 FS Skis + XT12 Bindings 15/16

The one thing that really surprised me was the difference between one ski and another when you rent you simply adjust and get use to them. Had fun trying them out but short listed it to either the Saloamon x-Max or the Head Titans.

So after spending an age procrastinating about which length I settled on these:

Can't wait to give them a go on a real piste Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oh dear . . . another wallet bites the dust Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Are those 2016 models? It seems they are now calling ERA 3.05 while last year they were 3.0. ☺☺
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Gaza, or 3.0 S
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
indeed @Masque, Laughing

Yeah they are this years model.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm still not sure i've made the right choice in length, i'm just short of 6'1 & 110kg and i've always skiied a 170cm ski. All the ski high calculators say i should be on a 175 ski but the titans only came in either 170 or a 177, the latter i felt would be too long.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm 6 foot and 100kg. I went for 177 in the Magums. They seem perfect for me. I borrowed a pair of 170 Titans and they felt fine but just a tad short although nothing that would cause me concern.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the point of reference, its tough to tell at these indoor slopes as there not really long enough to do any kind of speed. I tried the X-Drives in a 175 and they felt less nimble, harder to turn but then they are a different ski.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I would have gone for the 177. I am 6'4" but a lot lighter and ski 184/186.

That said it's not the end of the world and if you've always skied a 170.....
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've spoke to them and i do have the option to swap them, i think i'm going to do that
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
good call, I'd be amazed if you find them too long
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Another reference point - I'm 5'11" and 90kg and I ski the Titans in the 177 size. From the reviews I thought they might be hard work but they're actually very easy to drive. Only used them for one week as I got them near the end of last season. Early one morning in Val Thorens I got off the cable car and took a freshly groomed track round to the start of a black run. The 149 other people on the cable car all picked other routes so I was more than a little apprehensive when I got to the start of the piste proper. Sure enough it consisted of large moguls, the sun hadn't reached it yet and they were all hard and icy. I was bricking it. On my old skis I doubt I'd have got down that run in one piece. On my new ones the edges gripped and I could turn pretty much where I wanted. After the first couple of turns the fear was replaced by excitement and I really enjoyed the descent.

Sorry for the ramble, I just love these skis. Anyway, 177 is what you need. I can't imagine a Head rep telling you that the 177s are designed for folk a lot taller and heavier than you!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yeah I reckon so Jedster, think I was just playing it too safe by sticking to what I know

@Valkyrie, nice - do you find them quite lively? (fast) I didn't find them difficult to drive at all quite the opposite had a lot of fun on them which is what swayed it.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Also bought the same skis as my first pair a few months ago! Still in the box though as nowhere to store them properly yet and nothing to ski on!

I'm 6'4" and ~ 98kg, went for the 177. Guessed at my height / weight the longest option in whatever ski was the correct one.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
What made you go for them @driz, did you demo some?
snow report
Nah I didn't demo them, there were a few of reasons I went for them though:
- well reviewed here and elsewhere - i think they came up in a 'which skis for basi l1/l2' thread which interests me a bit
- posted a thread tossing up 3 options - and the titan seemed to win
- spring / summer sales
- heading out to austria for 3 months this winter
- childish amusement and wearing something labelled 'head' on my feet Wink
ski holidays
the last point Laughing

I didn't realise they were so popular/had good reviews. I'm not sure I could have bought them without trying though.
ski holidays
RE: The first picture. I'd have gone for the battery version rather than the plug-in ones. Less flex but can't do more mileage.
snow conditions
Russeh wrote:
I've spoke to them and i do have the option to swap them, i think i'm going to do that

You should. Your stats are definitely in the "biggest bloke therefore longest ski" class.

I'm 5'11", 95kg at the moment with 170cm Magnums and I think they're too soft but I bought them in an end of season sale so hey ho. My "normal" ski weight is 85kg and they might be ok at that. For your height/weight you should be on the 177cm. If you find them difficult, it's your technique you should be changing Toofy Grin
P.S. Play with the binding position. Most people I know find it helps to move them forward of the recommended position by around 2cm.
ski holidays
Gaza wrote:
Are those 2016 models? It seems they are now calling ERA 3.05 while last year they were 3.0. ☺☺

I bought a pair of 177's (I'm 5'11") in March which were 2015 models and they are ERS3.0S but the graphics are slightly different. Skiied on them for 3 days at the end of the season and really enjoyed them. Very Happy
snow conditions
@Russeh, yes they're fast. Just feel really stable so can go faster than on my other skis for no more effort. But still great fun when messing about in the lumpy stuff at low speed. The only downside to these Heads is that the topsheets seem to get scratched/marked very quickly and that lovely bit of aluminium around the tip gets all chewed up. But heyho, as somebody on here said they're tools not jewels.
latest report
Also bought a pair last season and they have been fantastic. Smash through crud, float on powder albeit more time spent in the former last season.
latest report
Raceplate wrote:
Russeh wrote:

You should. Your stats are definitely in the "biggest bloke therefore longest ski" class.

I'm 5'11", 95kg at the moment with 170cm Magnums and I think they're too soft but I bought them in an end of season sale so hey ho. My "normal" ski weight is 85kg and they might be ok at that. For your height/weight you should be on the 177cm. If you find them difficult, it's your technique you should be changing Toofy Grin
P.S. Play with the binding position. Most people I know find it helps to move them forward of the recommended position by around 2cm.

oh yeah definitely come under the big chap category Laughing I think I've just got use to a 170s. When I tried the X Drives they were 175s, everything felt a little foreign but I think that was more to do with the fact they were a different type of ski to the others. But it wasn't something I couldn't get use to but you're probably right about technique.

Its interesting you thought the magnums were too soft I can't say I noticed, the titans are slightly firmer id say but not like the Salomon x-mas which were very stiff.

I've ordered the 177s now anyway, will try the bindings as they are for now and give moving them forward a try a bit later.
snow conditions
Valkyrie wrote:
@Russeh, yes they're fast. Just feel really stable so can go faster than on my other skis for no more effort. But still great fun when messing about in the lumpy stuff at low speed. The only downside to these Heads is that the topsheets seem to get scratched/marked very quickly and that lovely bit of aluminium around the tip gets all chewed up. But heyho, as somebody on here said they're tools not jewels.

Can't wait to give them a go.

I wonder if its the colour of them that shows the marks up worse? I went to swap the 170s for 177s yesterday and when I got them to the car I noticed one of the basis had a short but deep scratch in it, back they went. I mean I know there going to get marked and stuff but I'd like to at least start from new.
latest report
Does anyone have any tips on looking after skis, I mean I know they need serving periodically but what about storing them over winter and things to avoid when on the slopes?
latest report
As long as they are stored indoors they will be OK.

Things to avoid on the slopes.... err... rocks?
snow report
@Russeh,

I asked the same a while ago, spyderjon is the expert:

snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2035827&highlight=horizontal#2035827
latest report
Laughing I think that goes without saying Layne

musher wrote:
@Russeh,

I asked the same a while ago, spyderjon is the expert:

snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2035827&highlight=horizontal#2035827

nice one, just had a read through that just what I was looking for.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Russeh wrote:
I've always rented skis and thought about buying before but weighing up the pros and cons I decided to purchase. I'm purely an on piste kind of guy so was looking for something that would cater for this and wasn't trying to be master of everything.

So this weekend managed to demo these at my local xscape.

Salomon X-Max Skis + XT12 Ti Bindings 15/16

Head i.Supershape Titan Skis + PRX 12 S Bindings 15/16

Volkl RTM 81 Skis + iPT WR XL 12.0 TCX D Bindings 15/16

fischer - can't remember the model (didnt like it)

Head i.Supershape Magnum Skis + PRX 12 S Bindings 15/16

Salomon X-Drive 8.0 FS Skis + XT12 Bindings 15/16

The one thing that really surprised me was the difference between one ski and another when you rent you simply adjust and get use to them. Had fun trying them out but short listed it to either the Saloamon x-Max or the Head Titans.

So after spending an age procrastinating about which length I settled on these:

Can't wait to give them a go on a real piste Very Happy

cracking choice of ski!! I have them and i just know you will love them. Such a versitile piste ski. Hard pack and moguls will be just great but the place youll really notice the difference between these on the others skis is in crud. Such vreat fun and brilliant for your confidence in the choppy stuff.

I had the 2014 set but upgraded as theyve gone back to the plate to stiffen them up which will only make them more fun.

Great lazy ski if you want to pootle around but if you put a good amount of pressure through the turn be prepared to feel a ping coming out Happy seriously good fun Happy
snow report
@PaulC1984, I'm glad you use the word fun, that's pretty much what made me go for them. When I was deciding which ones to go for these were the ones that I spent the most time on and that's because they were so much fun.

How do they fair when you go over fresh snow on piste, I'm not talking the deep stuff but you know when its fresh and its ungroomed and sometimes you get soft moguls, how's it fair with that?
ski holidays
Russeh wrote:
@PaulC1984, I'm glad you use the word fun, that's pretty much what made me go for them. When I was deciding which ones to go for these were the ones that I spent the most time on and that's because they were so much fun.

How do they fair when you go over fresh snow on piste, I'm not talking the deep stuff but you know when its fresh and its ungroomed and sometimes you get soft moguls, how's it fair with that?

At about 4inch deep fresh snow, you fly no problem at all, the 80mm under foot is noticeable vs the likes of the magnum or other narrower skis. anything deeper than that and I put my Preachers on my feet as whilst they performed ok, they were starting to get bogged down a little and it gave me a perfect excuse to try a different ski Happy

Where they really excel over any piste ski I've tried is crud, it they just blast through it Happy
snow report
oh sounds spot on, one of the things I wanted from this ski is to be deal with fresh snow on piste or when it gets deeper. A lot of piste skis are so great at this at least the ones I've used.
snow report
So I did manage to swap this for the 177 in the end, wasn't straight forward as two sets they got in the 177 were scratched/marked already. Anyway 3rd time lucky got them sorted.

Today I had some time on my hands and took the opportunity to spend a couple of hours at Xscape and test them out. So pleased with them, yeah I can tell that they are a bit longer than what I've been skiing before but its a positive thing. The other good news is that all my hard work with a PT is paying off which is nice.

*sigh* January seems so far away now!
snow report
Russeh wrote:
Does anyone have any tips on looking after skis, I mean I know they need serving periodically but what about storing them over winter and things to avoid when on the slopes?

Wipe all the snow and ice off them after you`ve been skiing.
snow conditions
Really stupid question but whats the process at the airport when traveling with skis? You checkin as normal with regular luggage and then drop the skis off at the oversized luggage? is that right, also what about at the other end, do they normally come with the regular luggage?
snow report
Russeh wrote:
Really stupid question but whats the process at the airport when traveling with skis? You checkin as normal with regular luggage and then drop the skis off at the oversized luggage? is that right, also what about at the other end, do they normally come with the regular luggage?

hello

OK so every check in desk (at least the ones ive used) take normal baggage and then have you take your skis to over size baggage drop.

At the other end they have always come off on 2 different belts - a normal and an over sized, which is a pain in the bum bum when your on your own trying to keep an eye on 2 belts at either end of the airport ggrrrr Happy
latest report
Depends on airport. At Salzburg skis come on the same belt as rest of luggage if quiet. If busy they bring them in on a trolley which is put next to the belt.
snow conditions
@PaulC1984, perfect! ahh I've that to look forward to on Sunday then as I'm traveling alone!

@cad99uk, I'm flying there in March so cheers for that.
snow conditions
As commented above - good choice of piste ski.

I have Head Titans 177s 2012 Tyrolia Powerrail SP12 bindings. The rear binding can be easily removed and I've found packing these separately helps.
I have a 190cm ski bag and pack this with a Door Jam protector, typically used by the construction industry (Giant pipe lagging really). The protectors normally
come in 2m lengths and can be easily cut to length. They do obviously reduce bag packing capacity (13mm depth) but they do they obvious protect the contents but they also
keep the bag rigid and make handling easier. see http://www.protection.co.uk/products/flame-retardant-door-jamb-protector/
Pack out the spaces with non essential clothing. Keep an eye on weight and don't forget the rear bindings !!

If you cant get hold of jam protectors just grab some pipe insulation and tape it on the edges.

Airports (upon arrival) they vary - even from year to year - the larger airports will deliver skis to the same luggage belt whilst smaller facilities can have a dedicated belt
or even stack the skis in dedicated area, sometimes outside like Innsbruck. It just depends....Most bags are black so give yours some sort of distinguishing marking.

As mentioned - when you get home (or better, at the end of your last day) dry the skis/bindings as best you can and allow to air dry. When at home check bases and edges for damage/burrs.
If you can do basic servicing, do a couple of hot waxes to remove dirt from bases, then apply some "storage" wax , place horizontal on suitable brackets in a dry area. If you are not confident
performing the above take them to a shop but I would learn the basic waxing and edging basics. If you intend Skiing long term, buy some quality equipment, it's not cheap for good tools but they
will last and do a better job and save you money long term- YouTube has some good and bad advice - go with the professionals and although they are sometimes aimed at Race Ski setup the knowledge will serve you well.
Personally I thing the Head edge steel is harder than most - you can probably get a sharper edge on other brands and they will dull quicker- Heads seem to keep the edge you give it longer - everyone has an opinion
of skis and boots so you need to find your own way but you have made a sound choice - in my opinion..but the bottom line is - skis are a little like expensive golf clubs they rarely make you play better, for that
you need the right technique.

Have fun...

PS - Keep on eye on your investment - remove a binding or split up skis with a friend - take a little time to think where your leaving them whilst going for a cheeky beer..
snow report
Thanks @Markpoint

yeah I've actually gone and bought one of these, since I don't generally like soft cases:

My skis fit perfectly, I just need to work out a way to secure my poles in there so they don't rattle around. Will probably store my skis in there when not using them with the binding off as you have to tie back the break to fit in the tube, but I wouldn't want to do that for a long period.

I have considered learning to service my skis myself, but I've just found a very local to me ski tech who is really good. I've bought a little tool for just giving the edges a give run over and a gummy stone for deburring them.

I'm off to Courchevel on Sunday, given the conditions have come full circle now I can't wait to give these skis a proper go.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy