Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Return to Les Arcs 1950/200 or try somewhere new?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi - As per subject. Have been to Les Arcs (1950 and 2000) last two easters and looking for 2016. We would not normally go back to the same location on summer holidays, but Les Arcs has been good both times so its tempting to stick with it, but before we do can anyone help with alternative locations based on the following criteria

1) Need to drive there - but as we start from North Yorkshire heading to Italy feels like it could be just a bit too far
2) Self catering and looking for an apartment of a good size / standard for 2 families (Cool so four bedrooms needed.
3) Ski in / Ski out
4) High to be snow sure - but we're basic skiers so not after an abundance of red / black runs
5) Good looking resort - e.g 1950 vs concrete 60's style
6) Not stuck on any particular country - have looked at Austria but seems to be limited on self catering.
7) We try to arrive mid morning and ski on the 1st Saturday and the final saturday - so cheap day passes / free lifts on the Sat (as in Les Arcs at 2000) is a big plus

Thanks in advance
Nick
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Converse, You have the whole of the tarrentaise to choose from. A few years ago we rented a bit apratment for 13 of us in St Martin de Belleville (it wasn't ski in/ski out - there was a 300m wlak to the lifts) and before that a big one in Val Thorens. All good places to choose. But my top reccomendation would be Chalet Planton in Tignes les Lac.

The Aosta Valley in Italy is probably a bit closer than Les Arcs to drive to, but the self catering apartment concept is harder to find in Italy.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Converse, if you like it and it meets your criteria, then go back, why not?

I don't get the never go anywhere twice approach, but then we have been to Vallandry for last 12 years Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We're booked for Arc 1950 this Easter but did Peisey Vallandry last year (which we alos loved). I'd be interested to hear any tips as we've not been there before.
Sorry, of no use to you at all as this is out first Easter trip after a very busy half term one last year
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Converse, I'm with Boris on this: if you like the place then stick with it.
You lose a day or two whenever you go somewhere new as you work out your way around, and which pistes/restaurants are good and which to avoid.
Boris has gone to Vallandry for last 12 years. I've been going to La Plagne (Belle Plagne and now Plagne 1800) for slightly longer.
when you keep going back you get to know the regulars and so have ready made ski buddies.
you also get to know the barmen and doormen and waiters and owners, and get just that little bit extra service.
So stick with Les Arcs 1950/2000 snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I am in th 'stick with it' camp- enjoy and improve on pistes you know
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Converse, I think Arc 1950 is hard to beat for the things you are looking for. We went there at Easter a couple of years ago and loved it. However I personally like going to places that feel a little more French and where there is a better pool.

You could have a look at Montgenevre (Le Napoleon or Hameau des Airelles depending on your budget) - good snow record and excellent intermediate skiing. you might have to make do with two neighbouring 2 beds as the 4 bed options sell out quickly.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 15-09-15 14:00; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think especially with kids it's great to go somewhere they know and love - re-discovering favourite pistes, or hot chocolate stops, and the patisserie for nasty wet afternoons. Les Arcs 1950 sounds a good choice for Easter. There are not that many apartments with 4 proper bedrooms so if you know a good one, go for it.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Try the other side of the Vanoise Express and get the best of both worlds. Belle Plagne for ski-in ski-out or Les Coches for trees and a choice to go left or right each morning Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
gravystuffing, Nooooooooooooooo!!
We've enough skiers in La Plagne as it is - we don't want any more.
(Though we do occasionally make exceptions for those from Yorkshire snowHead )
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Any exceptions for those from Worcestershire Puzzled
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yeah, I'd second the view about La Plagne - except when the snow there is iffy and then all the bugs head over to my side for decent skiing. I found out last week that 1000+ people live in La Plagne and the outlying satellites year round! So it's quite busy when there's no snow. Aosta is waaaayyyy further than Les Arcs from the UK (except possibly Courmayeur). If you don't find anywhere else that tickles your fancy, PM me and I may be able to set you up in Arc 1950.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@RattytheSnowRat, Calais to Pila via Mont Blanc tunnel is 968 km, Calais to Bourg st Maurice (10km sort of Les Arcs) 967 km. So "waaaayyyy further" means 1km. Or in the case of La Thuile (924 km from Calais) -44 km and Chamoluc (1008km) 40km, but that isn't counting the little bit from BsM to 1950. I assume you were being ironic.

Acutally that is a possible warning - once upon a time my cheep sat nav did indeed try taking me over the Petit st. Bernard.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@johnE, That's nothing, I once took my gf and a silver Jaguar X-type over the Petit St Bernard in winter to get to Les Arcs and we did not realise they had shut it until we hit the barrier at La Rosiere. There were some pretty bemused skiers in La Thuile and La Rosiere, let me tell you.

And 1km up a hill in deep snow with a 50k pack is waaaayyyy further - trust me.

And I assume you spec'ed motorways - there's a short cut via Ugine from the E25 that cuts the corner, so to speak. And train-wise/plane-wise it's a much shorter distance from London. And you forgot about the funicular from the station in BStM to Arc1600 - that's less than a km (and yes I know about the same thing from Aosta to Pila - been on it more than once).

And I'm trying to get bums in bed in Les Arcs so exxxxccccuuuuuuuusssssseeee me if I possibly played up the distance difference.

And, yes, I was being ironic ....... Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@RattytheSnowRat, even in summer the petit st bernard is a tricky route. Another later model satnav kept insisting that we do a U turn where possible. Haipin bends confused it.

I am impressed that you actually got over the pass in winter all the way from La Thule to La Rossiere. Do they not have some rules about driving on the piste?

Not sure why you would be as far south as Ugine going from the UK to Aosta. I would go down the motorway to Geneva then continue to Chamonix, once again on the motorway, then through the tunnel.
ski holidays
It might be a good year to give Austria a go since Easter is fairly early. The Zillertal is one of the most accessible of the higher resorts and should still be good but there are plenty of other options.

You could try the Newcastle/Amsterdam ferry and cut out the drive to Dover which makes a run down through Germany at least as good as the French route. (Amsterdam to Zillertal about 975km)

Self catering in Austria does exist, there aren't any Meava or Lagrange type brands and it is mainly individual places via tourist board sites or web searches. Quite a few hotels and "Pensions" (B&Bs) have a few apartments as well as hotel rooms. Look up the local tourist office websites for ideas.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy