Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chill Factore - best times to go?

Poster: A snowHead
I've seen that they've currently got a sale on (£11.99 for an hour or £17 for 2) up to October 23rd so thinking of making a trip up there as a change from going to Tamworth - as we are more than likely taking Sister in Law and her 10 year old son we'd probably need to go at a weekend, I'm thinking fairly early on a Sunday morning could be a good time but does anyone on here know how busy it's likely to be then or do you have suggestions for when the slope's likely to be at it it's quietest, although I doubt we'd really want to be taking a 10 year old skiing up to 10pm.

Also for anyone that's been to both domes at Tamworth and Manchester - how would you say that they compare?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Atomic_Mick, What do you consider fairly early ? There is race training 7:00 - 9:00 on Sunday mornings which will use half the slope plus the snow will still be a bit chewed up later on.

You may want to avoid next weekend altogether, there is a moguls competition and the Snowsport England coaching conference at Chill Factore.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No tricky corner half way down at Manchester! Haven't been to tamworth since I moved up from brum 7 years ago - but I remember it being a bit like shaved ice then. Manchester was better snow, but the last few times I've been there have been bare ice patches near the bottom towards the end of the day. However, can be fairly quiet early and late in the day - unless you turn up for a ski test with a whole bundle of snowheads…. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@rjs, probably about 9 is fairly early I guess - mid October is when we're thinking of going . @k, I've kind of liked the turn at Tamworth and the conditions fairly good on an evening when I've been so anything better is a bonus
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There's a 7.30 start on a Saturday morning which is usually quite quiet unless there is an event e.g. race. It starts to get busier after about an hour. I never go on a Sunday but I've heard people say it's reasonably quiet early on Sunday.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I usally do the Wednesday morning breakfast club.. 7.30 to 9.30 for 15 quid including breakfast. .. nearly empty piste... great fun for carving... appreciate not everyone can get there that early... i drive from halifax ...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I tend to go weekdays anywhere between 12 and 6pm and it tends to be nice and quiet with only a handful of people which means you tend to get the slope to yourself as everybody else is on their way up the lift. Works nicely.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I regularly go from work a couple of times a week... I'm usually in from about 4:30 and is pretty quiet until after 6ish when peak time starts to bite a bit. I went this Saturday afternoon as I was bored to kill a few hours... never again, it was really busy and too many lessons getting in your way. If you have to go at weekends, try to go as early as you can for better piste conditions.... Take note that every 2 weeks they have a "freestyle" week (in addition to the mogul event as described above). Half of the slope is out of action from Weds to Friday (and early Sat morning while they dismantle) for this freestyle event so it's worth picking a weekend when this isn't on so you get the full slope to Ski on.... Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Spike107 wrote:
I regularly go from work a couple of times a week... I'm usually in from about 4:30 and is pretty quiet until after 6ish when peak time starts to bite a bit. I went this Saturday afternoon as I was bored to kill a few hours... never again, it was really busy and too many lessons getting in your way. If you have to go at weekends, try to go as early as you can for better piste conditions.... Take note that every 2 weeks they have a "freestyle" week (in addition to the mogul event as described above). Half of the slope is out of action from Weds to Friday (and early Sat morning while they dismantle) for this freestyle event so it's worth picking a weekend when this isn't on so you get the full slope to Ski on.... Very Happy

I was there early Sunday afternoon weekend before last – it was busy to start with, as half the main slope was taken up with a race event – but once that was finished and the full slope opened up again, it was great! Pretty quiet, and that was from about 1.30pm. I’d been before first thing on a Sunday (9am, after the race training) and it’s not too bad, but starts getting busy from about 10am.

Once I get myself a car I’ll do a bit more straight after work, which will help – but right now I'm stuck with late evenings or weekends. I'm not planning another session until I get my new gear to break in as it’s too busy and annoying.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Spike107 wrote:

I regularly go from work a couple of times a week... I'm usually in from about 4:30 and is pretty quiet until after 6ish when peak time starts to bite a bit. I went this Saturday afternoon as I was bored to kill a few hours... never again, it was really busy and too many lessons getting in your way. If you have to go at weekends, try to go as early as you can for better piste conditions.... Take note that every 2 weeks they have a "freestyle" week (in addition to the mogul event as described above). Half of the slope is out of action from Weds to Friday (and early Sat morning while they dismantle) for this freestyle event so it's worth picking a weekend when this isn't on so you get the full slope to Ski on....

Quote:

fixx

I was there early Sunday afternoon weekend before last – it was busy to start with, as half the main slope was taken up with a race event – but once that was finished and the full slope opened up again, it was great! Pretty quiet, and that was from about 1.30pm. I’d been before first thing on a Sunday (9am, after the race training) and it’s not too bad, but starts getting busy from about 10am.

Once I get myself a car I’ll do a bit more straight after work, which will help – but right now I'm stuck with late evenings or weekends. I'm not planning another session until I get my new gear to break in as it’s too busy and annoying.

Might give a Sunday a go sometime then.... after work is ideal for me as I'm only 10mins away from Chillfactor and it beats sitting in rush hour traffic. By the time I've finished I can fly home on the M60 no problems Cool
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the replies all - we've booked in for Sunday 18th October at 4.30 so hopefully shouldn't be too busy.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Atomic_Mick wrote:
Thanks for the replies all - we've booked in for Sunday 18th October at 4.30 so hopefully shouldn't be too busy.

There is a race that day that is scheduled to finish at 3pm, there will probably still be a ramp across half the slope that I would expect to be fenced off.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rjs wrote:
Atomic_Mick wrote:

There is a race that day that is scheduled to finish at 3pm, there will probably still be a ramp across half the slope that I would expect to be fenced off.

They cleared the race section in less than 45 minutes last weekend when I was there, and reopened the rest of the slope. Made it quite a fun session actually - got to watch some of the racing while going up in the drag, watched the staff try to smooth out the ruts once it was done before they took down the netting, and then went to have a play on the remaining bumps and ruts when they reopened the slope Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fixx, If the ramp is the same size as last year it will need the piste basher to flatten it.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ah, they left the ramp last weekend at the top of the slope - just put a bit of netting around it. It just meant a slightly narrower setting off area at the top of one of the drag lifts - no impact on the main slope use.
snow report
fixx, The ramp on the 18th will be half way down the slope, there may be start ramps at the top too. The event is this, it doesn't seem to be listed in the "what's on" section of the Chill Factore website though.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy