Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Three Valleys 2015/2016: Méribel, Courchevel, Val Thorens, Les Menuires, La Tania

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks @ecureuil, I'm quite obsessed with this type of thing.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Update on pistes - all in mostly very good conditons around courchevel 1850 and la Tania, softening in the afternoon but holding up well. The red into la Tania getting thin in places.

Some fresh snow overnight gave an inch or two of powder, but icy lumps underneath meaning my brief off piste run wasn't as fun as it should have been.

Hoping to get over to 1650 tomorrow, to see how it is over there.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the update @Little Martin, 1650 should be fine from my experience. Moretta Blanche is one of the first runs to close so not surprised snow is not great on it - they always put their efforts into keeping Folyeres open. Are you planning to venture to the other valleys. The Mont Vallon runs should still be in good nick, looking forward to doing those as well as Jerusalem early next week. Enjoy tomorrow.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@franga, I am surprised the red is still open, in previous years I have seen it closed now, which shows how good the pistes are for this time of year. Will probably head to the other valleys later in the week
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Agree about Moretta - was more like waterskiing at the bottom past the car park, but at least it was open - definitely better than last year.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
1650 very quiet this morning had fresh tracks through the snow from last night on several pistes, warmed up quickly this morning started to get soft before midday over there.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Another great day in the 3v's, got soft quickly but staying high gave good conditons. Had a lesson with a Basi trainer and looks like I am not far off level 2 standard which is good. Nice and warm in the afternooon once the clouds disappeared.

Not sure if it was apres aliens but saw a ski school of snowheads (what is the collective noun for snowheads?) at the ski lodge in la Tania, they all had the fabled snowheads stickers on helmets so not easily missed.

The little one did saulire in her lesson which we are really proud of Shocked Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Whaddya have to do to get the SH sticker? Arcane initiation ceremony...? Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well done re the little 'un on the Saulire! I still get spooked on that after all these years after a scary experience there in a blizzard in 1992 Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Vent fort today closing most lifts, managed to get out for a bit still this morning. Went to ski saulire to find our 6yro getting blown back up towards the lift up hill followed by myself to amusement of some bystanders, decided to come back down in the lift.

Skiing was difficult after midday skis getting stuck in snow even when straight lining.

Looks windy for the next few days with some rain, I expect some pistes will be closing after this week.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Any recommendations for our trip next week @Little Martin?

Which areas / runs are holding well? Should we just stick to anything over 2,000M and stop early?

Still determined to enjoy our week as much as we can.

Think we've all experienced much worst conditions at this time of year ...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Heading out tomorrow morning to St M for a long weekend...hurrah! ..last ski of the season (boo!). Looking forward to some long days cruising, decent lunches and good skiing, even with the slightly damp looking forecast...Need to ski Jerusalem at least once this season if it's still open.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Perty, just out of interest ... where do you stay in St M at weekedns? have always struggled to find anywhere so had to make do with the Les Bruyeres up the hill in LM. Thanks
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Foggy this morning, couldn't see a thing until above the clouds.

Had a run over to val thorens this morning, conditions good over there a bit icy and wind blown, but little slush, some strong winds whilst I was there.

Very soft on the way back through meribel, and then soft on the way back into la tania, the blue into la tania is very brown in the middle, not sure if thats debris from the trees with the winds or piste depth getting low. Could see lots of debris on other pistes in meribel especially near the trees.

Sun is out now, starting to feel warm again.

Definitely stay as high as possible if coming out next week for best conditions.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
High temps and Fohn today, so porridge at breakfast, soup at lunch !
ski holidays
Great, thanks @Patch. Can't wait for tomorrow now. Even high up? Any specific runs holding up?
snow report
Am starting to pay a bit more attention in anticipation of the EoSB in two weeks. Seen a couple of reports that there'll be a sprinkling over the next couple of days, hopefully it won't be too warm as don't want much rain.
snow report
We arrived in Meribel Village at 10.30am, by 1pm apartment all sorted, lunch done, kids ready for a swim - so time for a quick ski Toofy Grin

Meribel valley only pass for this pm. Very sticky and slushy snow below about 2200m but fun nonetheless.

Snow cover is so much better than same time last year so we are very happy Very Happy

Run of the day? Black Face from the top of the Olympic chair - plenty of vertical and totally empty apart from me and my BIL.

Worse bit of the day? Being stuck on Plattieres 3 for 10 mins when they stopped it due to strong wind. I've never felt a bubble move quite as much sideways in a gust! For a few mins I thought we were in for an abseil download Crying or Very sad
snow report
No overnight re-freeze at the moment, even at 3000m

Snow on piste is pretty good above about 2800m in the mornings, but high winds on the upper slopes. Fohn is still blowing

Lower slopes very slushy, even first thing in the morning.

Temperatures look set to fall over the next 3 days, but then rising again to current levels
snow conditions
Lots of sand on the snow between the pistes in Val Thorens this afternoon. Has the sand made an appearance across the whole of the Trois Vallees?
snow report
Certainly some sand on the Meribel pistes.
ski holidays
our car was covered in sand before getting back to the UK yesterday, where the weather didn't disappoint and gave it a good clean Wink
ski holidays
Been here since Friday so we have been blasted by the hairdryer wind every day. There has been no overnight freeze to harden things off too much (though this morning was a tad hard) so the freshly groomed pistes are great first thing. The wind has meant we have had to keep a careful eye on the lifts closing cos of wind. Les Menuires has been particularly hard hit with the Mont de la Chambre and Bruyeres 2 lifts closed yesterday and today. I also think La Masse has barely opened. We are based near St Martin and have probably benefitted from being low down as more of the lower 3v links over to Meribel have stayed open. The new St Martin express and Tougnette 2 chair have chugged away all weekend despite the wind. There hasn't been that much sun till today, but even without it, as the day goes on, it's been best to pick off the slopes that have yet to see much sun.

We have been all over. Yesterday we headed to VT for about 11am. A big mistake as it was heaving, with limited lifts open - we got out of there as soon as we could. Best runs of the week so far...Combe du Vallon as soon as the lift opened, Venturons (access via Cote Brune chair) which was great, probably partly because no one could get to it directly from the top of Mont de la Chambre on the Menuires side, and Creux, first thing today. The pistes above midstation at 1650 are always good too I find, whatever the weather. After coffee this morning at the Bel Air we headed back towards St M asap as the wind looked like it was getting stronger (Suisses chair and Verdons bubble not running and the Ariondaz bubble up from 1650 closed by about 11.30 too).

We had a lovely run down to Meribel from Saulire save for the last bit- pretty ropey from the top of Rhodos lift down. However, there were not that many people about so the descent to Chaudanne was bearable and not too chopped up. We went over via Olympic and took Verdet back to the St M side-not a run you expect to be open at this time of year as it faces due south. The snow was soft but had been groomed and barely skied so that was actually really good fun. We would have had a quick circuit down the Grand Lac blue (which has also been excellent this week) but by then the Granges chair had also closed
Franga-in answer to your question- we are lucky this time as we are borrowing a friend's house about 5 miles down the valley. However, Mr P made enquiries and we could have had a room at the Alp Hotel for 4 nights for around 550€ for 2. Or...for twice the price we could have swanned about at La Bouitte in St Marcel...
We are off home tomorrow afternoon, so will probably go for an early blast but still keep an eye on the wind.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 4-04-16 17:19; edited 4 times in total
snow conditions
Word of the day? WIND!

From 2pm onwards all higher lifts in Meribel valley were being progressively closed.

Snow cover still good even down the the Chaudanne, fingers crossed for less breeze tmrw!
latest report
Update on the sand situation. Although much of the off piste snow looks a worrying red colour the sand is now much less of a problem. A bit of melt freeze and a bit of new snow means that the red snow is now skiable and no longer feels like sand paper.
ski holidays
One of the chairs came off Les Granges lift in Les Menuires!! Whilst it was running.
ski holidays
Am I being dim? What's the sand all about?

@steph, that's a bit scary, I assume no one was injured?
ski holidays
The sand has been blown from the Sahara by the foehn wind from the south. That's also why it's been warm, hence the foehn is sometimes called the snow killer.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 5-04-16 6:50; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@andy1234, aah, makes sense, not heard of that before. I've been in Tenerife before when it's happened, didn't think it'd get that far north though.
snow report
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
didn't think it'd get that far north though.

we got it in southern England a few years back, so yes.
snow report
London gets sand sometimes.
ski holidays
with a any luck the net few days will play out and there will be a bit of fresh white stuff to make things white again.
latest report
We are expecting sand in London this week - so will not bother cleaning the car till after then...
ski holidays
They'll be that red layer in the snow again.
snow report
@SnoodyMcFlude, nope no one injured.
snow report
Yesterday was a mixed bag. As others have noted, the snow below 2,500M is soft from the word go - no overnight freeze. The winds had shut the links into Meribel (we are in La Tania) and the boards on the Loze ridge were advising everyone to stay in their own valley. So we have had to ski / board around 1850 and 1650 over the last 2 days.

Beggars can't be choosers - you have to make the most of the snow conditions. Being on a board I find this type of snow (soft, lumpy, slushy etc) enjoyable and good for technique improvement. Our 8 and 5 year olds have also adopted very quickly and are having a blast.

Run of the day yesterday was the Combe de Saulire - some good, grippy snow on it. The Jean Pachod and the Dous des Lanches reds were also in good nick. 1650 was very soft and we only made it to the top of the Roc Mugner chair (we skied down from the top of Chanrossa). We swiftly came down the red and back up to 1850.

It started raining in La Tania from about 7 last night and it looks as if it carried on all night. Apparently it was +12C in Val Thorens last night. Let's see how much damage the rain has done today.

I'd love to go over to the Belleville valley today and do Jerusalem before it's too late / or maybe the Mont Vallon reds.

Metro France is forecasting a cloudy day today with the sun making an appearance later on - who knows?
snow report
Is there much snow in Courchevel 1550 village at the moment?? We are coming out on Saturday and our 3 year old daughter is booked into the ESF Piou Piou ski lessons & Maison de enfant nursery. It is her first time skiing so I really hope there is a bit down there for her to play on. Also does anyone know how are it is from the bottom of the sledge run? as that is where our chalet is. Thanks
snow report
Hi @christine28, yes there is snow at 1550 ... albeit very soft and patchy in places. It's forecast to be warmer than average again next week (after the short-lived cooldown an the end of this week) - with not a lot of precipitation around it should make conditions for your little one pretty pleasant. Sun was pretty fierce when it made an appearance on Monday so make sure you pack the F50.

PS - don't worry, there's plenty of snow at altitude.
snow report
That's wonderful. Thanks Franga x
snow conditions
We skied the Vallon du Lou offpiste route yesterday, snow was a mix of corn and small areas of icy chunks. With better route choice we could have avoided the icy chunks altogether. Pleased to say that the sand was nowhere to be seen.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy