Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs short trip

Poster: A snowHead
I'm trying to plan a short trip (3 or so nights) to meet up with some friends who are spending a week in Les Arcs in January 2016.

I am currently looking at flights, which don't seem that bad, but I really don't have an insight on transfers from Chambery, Lyon, Grenoble or Geneva.

Does anyone have any hints or tips that will keep the costs down and make my life really easy? I know that I'm not asking a lot but if you don't ask....

Thanks in advance
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think I did it on the train, had to change once or twice but was easy.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've looked at that but it seems that there is a lack of tickets! Any suggestions on the routing?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Is it just you travelling from the Airport? You could probably just jump onto a shared transfer especially if you chose Geneva as there are so many cheap transfer deals. My friend did it last year and ended up pay someone crazy like 79 euros for the return.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes it is just me but I'm struggling to find transfers during the week.

So far the flights are coming in at £100 ish but the transfer is coming in much more!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Closer to the time it would be worth contacting Coolbus, they are a British owned private transfer company based in Bourg St Maurice, just at the bottom of the mountain to Les Arcs. They are expensive if travelling alone but they might well have a transfer around the same time as you from the same airport with a spare place on it.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Would be cheaper (but take longer) by train. iirc you can't book until within 3 months of travel.
You could assess some options by putting in earlier dates.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Another company you could consider I believe in Bens Busses, I've not personally used them but have a friend who swears by them.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@wills_h, Thanks but they don't have a transfer on the Wednesday. What turned out to be a great idea for a simple trip is turning into a bit of a pain.

@Ray Zorro, I have done that but its saying no trains available at all, even for earlier dates.

I am sure I'll get there.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Pezza26 Confused

http://uk.voyages-sncf.com/en/?redirect=yes

Type Lyon (and you get the chance to select the airport) and then Bourg St Maurice and there should be quite a few daily options.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just hire a car, it won't cost much and you might even find some snowheads after a lift.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Just hire a car, it won't cost much and you might even find some snowheads after a lift.

+1 the shorter the trip, the better value it is to hire a car. You don't have much time - don't waste it faffing around.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Car hire is an option and coming in at around the £100 mark. Still a bit pricey for a transfer but I suppose its worth considering. Thanks guys, keep the ideas coming! Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bensbus will do a very cheap transfer from Geneva to Bourg, I believe that there's then a funicular to Les Arcs (although depends where you're staying). Alternatively just hop in a cab, stayed in Les Coches on the Last Plagne side in March and cost us about 50 euros.

Don't forget to factor in tolls nd fuel if you go for the car hire option...plus making sure you can park it. The advantage of GVA though is that I think most firms include the winter pack.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Don't Altibus run all week? Can't find any info for next Jan but I think it was about 75 euro return with 3 buses a day in the week.
ski holidays
We always hire a car for France skiing but once booked a transfer - from Geneva to La Plagne. That cost about £60 each in about 1993 IIRC - so I wouldn't regard the current prices for car hire or transfers as extortionate over 20 years later....
snow conditions
Thanks for all of the replies. All really appreciated.

I will soon be starting a new thread 'anyone need a lift from GVA/LYS to Les Arcs in January' Very Happy
latest report
I would not use Ben's Busses again - had a bad experience a couple of years ago with the bus not turning up at BSM to get us back to Grenoble for our flight. Alright the weather was bad but their communications and advice that the bus would be there 'soon' was poor and misleading.
snow report
Try the definitive "short trip to Les Arcs" thread:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=823002

And the prequal:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=31149
latest report
@altis, thanks but they are the '1 day trip to Les Arcs' threads not a short trip thread. The 1 days trip is easy to arrange, I did it this year.

Thanks though
snow report
@Pezza26, I regularly do short trips to Les Arcs both summer and winter. For a long trip I may look at the transfer companies but outside of the weekends they tend not to do much, and usually midday as well. One of our party during the infamous snow storms of 27/12/15 on learning that her transfer bus had been cancelled from Geneva to Les Arcs simply caught a bus to Chambery, the train from there to Bourg st Maurice and the funicular up to Les Arcs. She arrived on the last funicular at 21;00. Remember that train tickets in France are not released until 3 months before departure. Even from Lyon the train is not easy (You have to go to the main station in the city first) and from Chambery you have to get a taxi from the airport to the railway station.

Anyway to maximise the skiing I always rent a car from Geneva, but as @SnoodyMcFlude, says remember to include fuel (not that much), insurance, snow chain rental, tolls for the French motorways, vignette for the Swiss (or be good at map reading) and parking, which in parts of Les Arcs is very expensive, in the costs.

I am also going out for a 3 night trip on the 28th and this is exactly what I will be doing.
latest report
@johnE, thanks for the information, really appreciate it. If you were being a good snowHead then you would bring your trip forward a day. Very inconsiderate!!! wink
snow report
@Pezza26, Sorry, I have to work on the Wednesday and most of Thursday. I will get the last Luton - Geneva flight on Thursday night and the last one back on the Sunday night. There will be 3 or 4 of us so a car hire per person will not be excessive.

Where are you staying in Les Arcs
snow conditions
@johnE, I was only joking. Very Happy

I have no idea. My friends group is staying at LeVillage. I am going to look at the accommodation tomorrow. Any suggestions?

(Edit due to tired grammar!)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy