Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Extended holiday this winter

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone!

I was hoping someone might be able to offer me some advice.

This coming winter I am looking to take an extended break, around 6-8 weeks (hopefully!) this winter and was after some recommended places. I would like to improve my skiing aswell as my off piste, so there would need to be a good range of slopes with some nice back country too. Where do you think I should base myself so that I would have plenty of terrain to explore? Im quite a good skier already, it would probably be January to March and I would prefer Switzerland or France.

Thank you in advance!

Mike
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Personally I'd recommend Chamonix - best off-piste in the World IMO Very Happy. I went out there for the season last year and I'm going back this year.

However a couple of warnings I'd give you is that your planned time spans February which is the half term month during which everything tends to be pretty crowded in France. Also January can still be a little early for much of the off-piste stuff, particularly the glacier skiing.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
the month from 7 March would be pretty good in Chamonix.....
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Create a similar ish thread a couple weeks back and the decision is Chamonix Smile 8 weeks has become a season though, ha. Link to the thread if it's of interest >> http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2749128
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Boardfluff, presumably you will have a car - yes?
Then also worth considering what other resorts are nearby.
No point in being there all that time and not trying out some other places.
Chamonix is quite good for other places within an hour or so: Courmayeur of course, and then La Thuile. Also Megeve and Les Contamines. I'm sure others here can suggest some more.
I'm a La Plagne fan. Within easy driving is La Rosiere, Sainte Foy, Espce Killy, Valmorel, Les Saisies and Espace Diamant, Val Thorens and 3-Valleys, Pralongan-la-Vanois.
Worth thinking about.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Champoluc in Italy Smile. Great place, great people, great skiing...good value and lovely Italian grub. What's not to like?
As others say-you will probably struggle to find accommodation in France given that the dates sounds like they will straddle half terms. However, there is no harm in emailing local estate agents and looking on airbnb. As long as you have a car (which is essential for such a long trip) then you can consider accommodation a drive away from the slopes.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks everyone! I should have said already that I've done chamomix a few times already! La Plagne sounds like a good idea! I haven't skied the Paradski before.

Does anyone have suggestions for possibly staying in a smaller resort with good connections to other regions? I will most likely have a car some duration of the trip Smile

Thanks again!

Mike
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Why not Austria Boardfluff?

Skiing that is as good as anywhere; prices for everything so much cheaper than France (large beer from €3.5); lovely villages; legendary apres ski; amazing value season lift passes to cover dozens of resorts (eg Tirol Snow Card at€700(ish) versus €1000+ just for Espace Killy); and generally easy road access to the slopes.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy