Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Looking for somewhere in the Pyrenees / French Alps for a month this winter

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

This winter I want to to spend a month, or longer, in the Pyrenees or the French Alps...

I'm open to location, but obviously it would need to be near a ski station, and fast broadband is essential...

If anyone has any suggestions let me know...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That's a little bit like me saying i'd like to spend a month in the med next summer but must be near a beach - someone could suggest Benidorm or Sitges - the 2 resorts couldn't be further apart for who they cater for - so if you could give a bit more information on other variables that may be important to you then it will give fellow SH's a better idea for making suggestions that might be suitable to you.

Things to consider could be:- will you have your own car(if so then people could give suggestions for places that aren't reliant on being close to lifts or buses),what standard skier are you, is nightlife important, are you planning on doing the trip alone or with partner, the month(s) you intend to be there(I could suggest somewhere like Alpe D'huez but they have a lot of south facing slopes that can suffer late season),are you happy in a small resort/area or does a larger resort/area appeal more?

Reading back your post again - are you looking for actual accommodation suggestions? If so then budget and size of accommodation you are looking for would be a good starting point.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@mrvinegar, the peak weeks for letting, in the French alps (apart from New Year) are the four French holiday weeks - 6 February to 6 March in 2016. Owners can get big rents for those weeks. But if you were willing to do four weeks from early January and/or mid March, you would probably find much cheaper accommodation.

A consideration is lift pass prices. Many areas are selling season passes at considerably reduced costs for "early purchase". Two big areas for your consideration, with reasonable pass costs, are the Grand Massif and the Mont Blanc Evasion - both cover a lot of ground.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks pam!

Mick: Some more detail, would prefer to be non car dependent, I'm flexible regarding what month, I'm an intermediate snowboarder, nightlife is not important but having a half decent village nearby would be nice, there is 2 of us and I'd like to have access to a large-ish ski area...budget wise less than €1000 a month for accommodation would be best...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@mrvinegar, I think you're being a bit optimistic with your budget if you want to spend less than £750 if that's for the 2 of you especially if you're looking for high speed broadband too, Les Deux Alpes or Alpe D'huez may well suit anyway take a look at a quick search that I found for LDA: -

http://www.booking.com/searchresults.en-gb.html?aid=339308;sid=4af129885563f0e04cfbb804b3155288;dcid=1;checkin_monthday=9;checkin_year_month=2016-1;checkout_monthday=6;checkout_year_month=2016-2;city=900039348;class_interval=1;csflt=%7B%7D;group_adults=2;group_children=0;label_click=undef;no_rooms=1;order=price_for_two;review_score_group=empty;room1=A%2CA;sb_price_type=total;score_min=0;ssb=empty&;;nflt=hotelfacility%3D96%3B;unchecked_filter=facilities;track_sr_ajax_click=1
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
that's certainly an optimistic budget for somewhere within easy reach of a big lift system and fast broadband. At that price you are probably nearer to a hostel - which is unlikely to have fast broadband. Last time I was trying to communicate with somebody in the UCPA in Chamonix (which would cost a lot more than your budget) it was painful.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
But 2000 euros a month for 2 of you should find you something worthwhile.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks! Yeah did a quick search in Chamonix on AirBnb and 2k is the minimum really...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You can stay at La Tapia - a really nice hostel in Chamonix - for €20 Euros a night each. So only a little over your budget. However I'd advise booking early; it's not all that big and does tend to get fully booked. Theoretically it has fast broadband but I believe it was a little flaky last winter.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Best to wait and see which area has the best snow...........
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@mrvinegar, You could try the Val d'aran in the Spanish Pyrenees. Good broadband in the village library's or hotels, accommodation reasonably cheap. The resort is Baqueira, the main town is Vielha. The villages up the valley are also very nice. May see you there.

I'd also be tempted to look at Luchon across the boarder.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@AndAnotherThing Thanks for the info, something else I'm considering is staying in Puigcerdà, it's not too far from Andorra, and a lot cheaper to rent in...There is also La Molina / Masella nearby, although the snow there was poor this year...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lots of places in Luchon on AirBnb, could be a good base...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mrvinegar wrote:
@AndAnotherThing Thanks for the info, something else I'm considering is staying in Puigcerdà, it's not too far from Andorra, and a lot cheaper to rent in...There is also La Molina / Masella nearby, although the snow there was poor this year...

If you're considering Andorra then Encamp might be a good shout. It's quite a large, "proper" town, and has a 30-minute gondala link to the Grandvalira ski resort. I've never stayed in Encamp before myself, but I do know there are a lot of places on AirBnB, some of them as low as about £23 a night (this one is in Canillo, which has a chair lift into the sector, and is £750 for the month https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/6779508?checkin=04-01-2016&checkout=01-02-2016&guests=2&s=-M-i)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Could try the riders hostel in LEs Arcs. If you're a bit if a fuss ass probably not for you, but if you're quite a relaxed individual, it's a great place to stay. Always a laugh
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy